2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

I have to say, as someone who has blasted Paul Menard for only having a ride because of his daddy's money. Paul Menard at this point is impressive, just driving good races, not making mistakes and getting solid finishes. I know he had good runs last year with Petty, but it looks like at this point in time Menard has put it all together. It's impressive and it's nice to see Junior have good runs and be in the top 10 and I'm not the biggest Junior fan. It's just good for him, forget his obsessive annoying fans, it's just good for Junior.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for race fans. Which is a better track to visit (not for a race just merely to tour it on a non race weekend). Bristol or Talladega?

I'm driving down to Florida in May, and on my way back I've mapped two possible routs. One taking me through Alabama near Talladega, and one through Eastern Tennessee near Bristol. I'd like to see one or the other, but I've never been to either. I hear both offer tours, but Talladega also has the motorsports hall of fame at the track.

Any ideas?

1zqy8ok.gif

Question for race fans. Which is a better track to visit (not for a race just merely to tour it on a non race weekend). Bristol or Talladega?

I'm driving down to Florida in May, and on my way back I've mapped two possible routs. One taking me through Alabama near Talladega, and one through Eastern Tennessee near Bristol. I'd like to see one or the other, but I've never been to either. I hear both offer tours, but Talladega also has the motorsports hall of fame at the track.

Any ideas?

I say, Talladega!

I went to Bristol in 2005 and I like Bristol...but I have owned fall race tickets for 'dega since 2008. It is the best track that ISC operates period. Even better than Daytona It is the best track they have. In terms of SMC tracks, Texas and Vegas are the better race experiences, but overall Talladega is..."The Big One".

Plus, there could be the opportunity that you can take our car on the track for two laps if you have ability to get an invite. Or just try to go to Barber Motorsports Park with your car/rental.

Any ideas?

I say, Talladega!

I went to Bristol in 2005 and I like Bristol...but I have owned fall race tickets for 'dega since 2008. It is the best track that ISC operates period. Even better than Daytona It is the best track they have. In terms of SMC tracks, Texas and Vegas are the better race experiences, but overall Talladega is..."The Big One".

Plus, there could be the opportunity that you can take our car on the track for two laps if you have ability to get an invite. Or just try to go to Barber Motorsports Park with your car/rental.

I was leaning towards Talladega to begin with. It turns out by choosing 'Dega I can squeeze in a Jays game in Detroit on my way home. So I think it's settled. Thanks for the opinion.

1zqy8ok.gif

And? This isn't F1 where the car does everything for you. We'll find out how good of a driver he really is. To quote the Rock, "It doesn't matter who you are!!!" This is NASCAR, where drivers from other forms of motorsports come to die.

Just some of the latest ramblings on Jayski, looks like the chassis' for 2013 may get interesting.

Development of the proposed new 2013 Sprint Cup Series body styles is progressing on schedule, as the sanctioning body works hand-in-hand with automakers to increase brand identity on the race track. Multiple sources say Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota are expected to submit their final roof and rear deck lid designs in the near future, allowing NASCAR to move forward with the process of creating a unique body for each brand, while maintaining a similar aerodynamic footprint. The current Sprint Cup Series bodies are virtually identical, with the exception of a vinyl graphics package applied to the headlight, grille and rear taillight areas of each car. Beginning in 2013, however, the sanctioning body hopes to have each model be easily identifiable from the front, rear and sides. In an effort to allow manufacturers more design leeway, NASCAR will reportedly cease to distinguish between steel and lexan, allowing manufacturers to contour their NASCAR windshields and side windows identically to those found on their stock, production models. The change would allow teams to do away with the bulky, steel B-pillars required under current NASCAR rules, replacing them with thin "support strips" anchored to larger, lexan side windows. The move will greatly enhance brand identity, something automakers have lobbied hard for in recent years. It could also remove the main stumbling block cited by General Motors executives for not keeping their popular Chevy Camaro out of NASCAR competition. GM has staunchly refused to modify what it calls the "iconic body line" of the Camaro for NASCAR competition. But with new rules in place for the 2013 season, there is a chance the Detroit automaker could reconsider that decision.

Chevy, get the Camaro in there, make it happen.

baltimoreravens.png

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say Harvick needs an entrance song to play on the loudspeakers with about 10-15 to go. He's been a stud closer as of late :P

It doesn't matter what you do now. Heck this time of the year we always see someone get on a roll and roll off a few wins. When it counts, Jimmie Johnson will be raising trophy #6. What you do in April doesn't matter unless you are going for the two wild card positions, and even then you don't matter in the Chase. Yes, Harvick is doing well but until someone beats JJ in the Chase, I don't care what you do now. Beat the Man in the Chase and then we'll talk.

JJ hasn't impressed me one bit this year. He needs to win before the end of May in my books.

JJ doesn't need to impress anyone. #1 He's the 5 straight time champion and number two, May doesn't count nor win you a championship. September through November is when Jimmie gets it done. Have you not paid attention to the last 5 years?!

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say Harvick needs an entrance song to play on the loudspeakers with about 10-15 to go. He's been a stud closer as of late :P

It doesn't matter what you do now. Heck this time of the year we always see someone get on a roll and roll off a few wins. When it counts, Jimmie Johnson will be raising trophy #6. What you do in April doesn't matter unless you are going for the two wild card positions, and even then you don't matter in the Chase. Yes, Harvick is doing well but until someone beats JJ in the Chase, I don't care what you do now. Beat the Man in the Chase and then we'll talk.

I said as of late. Obviously Jimmie's still the guy to beat, but these wins help Harvick out regardless, especially with the wild card allowing for more leeway once you rack up some wins. Also it's worth noting that Johnson's early wins ended up winning him the championship last year because the bonus points he got last year heading into the Chase for winning outweighed any gains Harvick made in the Chase in terms of points scored.

Which actually, that's a good question. How will the Chase standings be determined at the start this year? Bonus points for each win like the past couple of years or going back to finish 1st after 26 races, start 1st? If it's the former, then wins in April still play a good part in terms of the Chase. If not, well, it doesn't hurt that Harvick's winning races, especially at tracks he's historically sucked at, and because Martinsville and many 1.5 mile tracks (which although longer, California's similar to) are in the Chase itself.

EDIT: Yep, they're still ranking the Chase seeds by wins. So it still plays a role in the Chase when all is said and done

Also, scratch the point about Harvick outscoring Johnson in the Chase. I coulda sworn Harvick was around 20 points back of Johnson, not 41 at the end.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

JJ hasn't impressed me one bit this year. He needs to win before the end of May in my books.

5-Time and Chad are still the guys who talk the most during every race. They have possibly the best relationship and it transfers into races. Wins are a matter of luck rather than sporting reason.

I said as of late. Obviously Jimmie's still the guy to beat, but these wins help Harvick out regardless, especially with the wild card allowing for more leeway once you rack up some wins. Also it's worth noting that Johnson's early wins ended up winning him the championship last year because the bonus points he got last year heading into the Chase for winning outweighed any gains Harvick made in the Chase in terms of points scored.

Which actually, that's a good question. How will the Chase standings be determined at the start this year? Bonus points for each win like the past couple of years or going back to finish 1st after 26 races, start 1st? If it's the former, then wins in April still play a good part in terms of the Chase. If not, well, it doesn't hurt that Harvick's winning races, especially at tracks he's historically sucked at, and because Martinsville and many 1.5 mile tracks (which although longer, California's similar to) are in the Chase itself.

EDIT: Yep, they're still ranking the Chase seeds by wins. So it still plays a role in the Chase when all is said and done

Also, scratch the point about Harvick outscoring Johnson in the Chase. I coulda sworn Harvick was around 20 points back of Johnson, not 41 at the end.

After Homestead last season, I did the math, and it turns out Harvick not only scored more points than anyone in the regular season, but also scored more points than at least Johnson (and possibly anyone else too, I'd have to dig up my research) during the Chase too. His season total, not counting bonus points, came to 5279. The only reason Johnson and Hamlin placed ahead of Harvick in the final standings is because they had more wins during the regular season, which translated to more bonus points to start the Chase.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5-Time and Chad are still the guys who talk the most during every race. They have possibly the best relationship and it transfers into races. Wins are a matter of luck rather than sporting reason.

You've made some stupid statements around here, (most of them didn't even make sense) but that one may be the most stupid one yet.

BB52Big.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I know there is a PPV fight on tonight, but The NASCAR boys are getting a little testy. I think Harvick threw a punch at Kyle Busch, after kyle Busch intentionally took him out. As Harvick got out of hi car to confront Busch, Busch rev'd his engine and shoved an unmanned 29 car on pit road and it slammed into the pit wall.

Hoping harvick gets major payback. His wife could probably kick Busch's butt. What a pansy. get out and fight like a man!

Archived