2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Season

NEW.ERA

That company has sponsored NASCAR events ,races and entire weekends, for a a few years. MIS and Dover are where they are prominent. Today's race was as boring as last week's race at Pocono, where the series' two worst races occur and they keep them at 500 miles.

One of the Pocono races was pretty good last year. I think it was the first one. But your point remains. Michigan is nothing more than the fuel mileage 500. It's a parade.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now we head to Infineon in the wine country of Sonoma, CA. It is going to be very interesting with road course experts such as Juan Pablo Montoya and Robby Gordon who are going to contend for the win next Sunday and the points will be shaken up dramatically. Any thoughts on this race or any previews of the next race?

How do you figure? Last year's Sonoma top ten had four "experts" (Gordon, Said, Ambrose, and Montoya) and the rest of it looked like any other NASCAR top ten. Jimmie Johnson won last year, Kasey Kahne won in '09 (and the top ten that week looked like any other top ten) Kyle Busch won in '08 (yet another typical NASCAR top ten), Montoya won it in '07. He was followed by Harvick, Burton, Bowyer, Biffle, Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Boris Said, and Denny Hamlin.

If memory serves, none of the past four Sonoma races resulted in a "dramatic shake up" in the points. The truth is, for the most part, Sonoma's results are pretty typical NASCAR results.

My thoughts on the race? I can't wait until it's in the rearview mirror of the 2011 season. I don't like the road courses.

BB52Big.jpg

That company has sponsored NASCAR events ,races and entire weekends, for a a few years. MIS and Dover are where they are prominent. Today's race was as boring as last week's race at Pocono, where the series' two worst races occur and they keep them at 500 miles.

One of the Pocono races was pretty good last year. I think it was the first one. But your point remains. Michigan is nothing more than the fuel mileage 500. It's a parade.

The August race last year with the battle between Harvick and Hamlin wasn't that bad, but yeah today's was back to boring Michigan. And back to a TNT commercial marathon

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

How do you figure? Last year's Sonoma top ten had four "experts" (Gordon, Said, Ambrose, and Montoya) and the rest of it looked like any other NASCAR top ten. Jimmie Johnson won last year, Kasey Kahne won in '09 (and the top ten that week looked like any other top ten) Kyle Busch won in '08 (yet another typical NASCAR top ten), Montoya won it in '07. He was followed by Harvick, Burton, Bowyer, Biffle, Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Boris Said, and Denny Hamlin.

If memory serves, none of the past four Sonoma races resulted in a "dramatic shake up" in the points. The truth is, for the most part, Sonoma's results are pretty typical NASCAR results.

My thoughts on the race? I can't wait until it's in the rearview mirror of the 2011 season. I don't like the road courses.

Guess who came in 2nd last year at Sonoma? Robby Gordon. But a bunch of Roush guys do awful at road-courses and the points leader is Carl Edwards, Roush. And someone to watch out for this weekend. David Gilliand (if Front Row actually gives him a somewhat good car). But since Front Row fields :censored: cars, maybe not.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Sonoma is a crapshoot, but the big names will always rise to the occasion. This what Carl Edwards seventh race here, I would expect just like Red was alluding to. "Your Typical Sprint Cup Top 10". Jeff Gordon maybe wins, Montoya and McMurray will have good days and so will Kevin Harvick. JJ, Hamlin, Ky/Ku Busch, Bowyer, Said, Edwards. Can't wait for Daytona, even though Sonoma gets me excited, nothing like it was five years ago.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Guess who came in 2nd last year at Sonoma? Robby Gordon. But a bunch of Roush guys do awful at road-courses and the points leader is Carl Edwards, Roush. And someone to watch out for this weekend. David Gilliand (if Front Row actually gives him a somewhat good car). But since Front Row fields :censored: cars, maybe not.

Which does nothing to support your "dramatic shake up" premise. Go back an look up the last five races at Sonoma. Other than the occasional good finish by a ringer, the races pretty much stayed true to typical NASCAR form.

BB52Big.jpg

I love road course racing. NASCAR needs to add more of them and get rid of the second races at Michigan, Kansas, Pocono, etc. Road Course racing is where the men stand out from the boys. The "ringers" are never a factor because they usually have lesser equipment or are working with a new team and don't have communication down if they have good equipment. The "ringers" will never win a Cup race on a road course unless they run a full season, and then they are not "ringers". The ringers are and will always be an over-hyped non-factor to win. As far as the shake up in points, it's true the top 10 won't be shaken up that much and never has been in road course racing because the top 10 drivers are the top drivers and can drive road courses. Where you see the shake up in further back in points from 15th on back because those aren't the top drivers with top equipment and they are the ones back in nightmare that is the back of the pack. The top drivers are usually out front and spread out and away from the chaos that ends up being 15th on back. Yet, it's that chaos that I love about road course racing.

Road America, Montreal, the new one in Austin, Sebring. All places i'd love to see Sprint Cup go.

I would love to see Nascar & IndyCar at the new Austin track.... so now its time for the rumors going around I found on Jayski....

Redbull could be done with Nascar after this season. Joe Gibbs may field a fourth team, with Carl Edwards driving & of course Danica may go to Nascar full time.

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20110620e

baltimoreravens.png

Some other things I like from the Jayski site:

Andretti Autosport going to NASCAR? SPEED.com open wheel reporter Robin Miller joined Steve Byrnes on NASCAR Race Hub on SPEED Thursday evening to discuss Danica Patrick and Andretti Autosport among other things. Following is the transcript in part from the interview;

On any traction to the rumors of Andretti Autosport going to NASCAR:

Miller: "John Lopes (CFO of Andretti Autosport), who puts all their sponsorships together, said last week & I said, 'Hey, is there anything to this rumor that you guys might be going stock car racing?' He said, 'We're exploring. We're definitely looking into it.' So, we've heard that they might be connected to Roush, that they might be doing something with Ford Motor Company, but that kind of makes me wonder that Michael (Andretti) is probably not going to go with General Motors when the new engines come along next year, but everybody is assuming if Andretti goes to NASCAR, he'll just keep Danica. I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think that's going to happen at all. They're looking at opportunities to replace this GoDaddy money with some NASCAR money and I tell you what that's a huge deficit to make up when you lose somebody like GoDaddy because it's probably the second or third biggest sponsorship in IndyCar racing and that's going to be tough to replace."(SPEED)(6-17-2011)

Ford working on 2013 Mustang: The redesigned NASCAR Cup chassis is still 18 months away from making its on-track debut, but team owner Jack Roush said fans may soon get a sneak peek at the 2013 Ford Mustang. Speaking Wednesday during a manufacturer teleconference, Roush said NASCAR has required each of the four manufacturers to meet a series of "hard points," places where the sanctioning body wants the chassis to be similar across each make, without significant aerodynamic advantages. The key, according to Roush, is to add manufacturer-specific styling touches without affecting the competitive balance currently seen in the sport. That worked well with the new Nationwide Series car that was unveiled last season and NASCAR fully expects the 2013 rollout to go as smoothly. "I don't think it is a big challenge and it should be easily accomplished. The roof is defined. The deck lid is defined. The front fascia profile and silhouette is basically defined." That process has been under way for some time, Roush said, and the first prototypes of Ford's 2013 entry should be rolling out of the body shop soon.(NASCAR.com)(6-17-2011)

Which does nothing to support your "dramatic shake up" premise. Go back an look up the last five races at Sonoma. Other than the occasional good finish by a ringer, the races pretty much stayed true to typical NASCAR form.

You guys are forgetting something THERE IS A NEW POINTS SYSTEM. I think there is going to be a dramatic shake up because for the guys that do not typically run well on road courses (everyone at Roush, Kurt Busch, Trurex Jr, Burton, and Harvick) are all in the top 20 in the points and it could easily change the points. You got to remember, in the old points system there was not a lot of changes each week. In this points system, there is if a top 20 guy has a bad day.

Redbull could be done with Nascar after this season.

Thats stupid. They are getting a lot better after each year and have two potential chase drivers (Kahne, Vickers) even though Kahne is on a one year deal and Vickers contract ends this season.

You guys are forgetting something THERE IS A NEW POINTS SYSTEM. I think there is going to be a dramatic shake up because for the guys that do not typically run well on road courses (everyone at Roush, Kurt Busch, Trurex Jr, Burton, and Harvick) are all in the top 20 in the points and it could easily change the points. You got to remember, in the old points system there was not a lot of changes each week. In this points system, there is if a top 20 guy has a bad day.

Yeah, I get that there is a new point system. It's less complicated but it's not some new system where Boris Said or Robby Gordon can jump to the points lead if they finish in the top ten at Sonoma. My point is that a bad finish at Sonoma won't have any more effect on the standings than a bad finish at Kentucky or Daytona. You're acting like Carl Edwards or Matt Kenseth finishing 24th at Sonoma will all but eliminate them from the chase and catapult Marcos Ambrose or Robby Gordon to the top of the standings or something. Sonoma is just another race. One bad finish at a road course is just that; one bad finish at a road course. Stop with the "this Sunday the sky is going to fall" BS.

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, I get that there is a new point system. It's less complicated but it's not some new system where Boris Said or Robby Gordon can jump to the points lead if they finish in the top ten at Sonoma. My point is that a bad finish at Sonoma won't have any more effect on the standings than a bad finish at Kentucky or Daytona. You're acting like Carl Edwards or Matt Kenseth finishing 24th at Sonoma will all but eliminate them from the chase and catapult Marcos Ambrose or Robby Gordon to the top of the standings or something. Sonoma is just another race. One bad finish at a road course is just that; one bad finish at a road course. Stop with the "this Sunday the sky is going to fall" BS.

I'n not chicken little. I still think the points will change a bit but I will admit, I think I went a bit overboard when i said they would change dramatically. My bad.

I'n not chicken little. I still think the points will change a bit but I will admit, I think I went a bit overboard when i said they would change dramatically. My bad.

No biggie. It's good to see another NASCAR fan on the boards.

BB52Big.jpg

And someone to watch out for this weekend, David Gilliand (if Front Row actually gives him a somewhat good car). But since Front Row fields :censored: cars, maybe not.

Bump.

Look who is the smartest person on this topic....Gilliland had an excellent day and even though came in 12th, ran in the top 8 all day. /But Kurt Busch dominated today and won using the two stop pit strategy. The story of the day though, Vickers vs Stewart. Stewart shoved Vickers, Vickers bumped Stewart. Could this be a new rivalry? I was really hoping for a green/white/checker just to see what would happen to the leaders. But one of the more memorable races of the season and we head on back to Daytona next Saturday night with oh by the way, WIDE OPEN COVERAGE.

Mark me down as a road-course supporter. Oval tracks are pretty damn boring in comparison.

Yeah, road course races are very underrated. The past couple years it's been more like a good short track race with all the beating and banging, yet there's so many added intricacies like the pit strategy and the danger of going off course at any moment. Watkins Glen's probably my favorite track on the circuit, but Sonoma's starting to creep up there with the past couple races

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

And someone to watch out for this weekend, David Gilliand (if Front Row actually gives him a somewhat good car). But since Front Row fields :censored: cars, maybe not.

Bump.

Look who is the smartest person on this topic....Gilliland had an excellent day and even though came in 12th, ran in the top 8 all day. /But Kurt Busch dominated today and won using the two stop pit strategy. The story of the day though, Vickers vs Stewart. Stewart shoved Vickers, Vickers bumped Stewart. Could this be a new rivalry? I was really hoping for a green/white/checker just to see what would happen to the leaders. But one of the more memorable races of the season and we head on back to Daytona next Saturday night with oh by the way, WIDE OPEN COVERAGE.

Congratulations on the Gilliland call. Do you want a trophy for this? On the Stewart/Vickers thing. There is no rivalry. It's over with. Both of them even said so. By the way, a rivalry is not created by two guys having "issues" on the track. A rivalry is when two drivers are constantly battling for wins and championships. Example. There is no rivalry between the Lakers and the Clippers, there is a rivalry between the Lakers and the Celtics. Got it? Good!

Archived