2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the Silver Boot. I said that previously.

It's awarded to the winner of the series each season between the Rangers and Astros. In the event of a tie, the trophy goes to the team that outscored the other. With their 4th win tonight, the Rangers officially won it for 2011, the fifth consecutive year.

The Rangers 2011 season is officially a success.

SILVER BOOT, BITCHES.

The-silver-boot.jpg

I had no idea pro sports had rivalry trophies like this. Interesting.

mayors-trophy.jpg

Prior to the abandonment of New York by the city's two National League teams, the Yankees and Dodgers played an annual midseason exhibition game called the Mayor's Trophy Game to benefit sandlot baseball in New York City, with the proceeds raised by the Yankees going to leagues in Manhattan and the Bronx while proceeds raised by the Dodgers going to leagues on Long Island and Staten Island. The annual charity event was discontinued following the 1957 season when the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles and the Giants moved to San Francisco. With that, the Yankees became the only major league team in the city, but it was revived in 1963 after the National League returned to New York with the expansion New York Mets in 1962. After dwinding interest and public bickering between the owners of both teams, the Mayor's Trophy Game was discontinued following the 1983 season. It was revived again as a pre-Opening Day series titled the "Mayor's Challenge" and held in 1992.

With Derek Jeter closing in on 3,000 hits, this hasn't caught on yet.

Mariano Rivera is just 21 saves short of 600. 22 short of matching Trevor Hoffmann for most saves all time, 23 short for passing him.

Through 78 games he has 21 saves. 84 to go.. it could be done this season.

Bumping this because it got got stuck as the last post on the previous page.

Dont scare me like that again Yessir

Haha would you like to see David Wright?

If you send Inge, Austin Jackson and Porcello or Schlereth in return

Not Jackson, his future is too good.

I'm not as big on Jackson as alot of people are. He can play the outfield, but he needs alot of work at the plate. It seems like he has the approach of a power hitter and he's not to going to ever be a power hitter. B.J. Upton is the same way. Its his second year now and it doesen't look like he's improved his discipline one bit or come to an understanding of what his strengths and weaknesses are. If he's not willing to work on that aspect of his game, I'm wouldn't be interested in him as a GM unless I'm the Tigers GM in which case I would unload him in a second for a proven all-star calibar talent.

I think Jackson will be good but he's never going to be the superstar that alot of people have him projected as being. Porcello on the other hand I see as having a very bright future. He's got very solid stuff. Just needs a little more movement on his pitches and a better understanding of how to use them, both I could very easily seeing coming with a bit more experience. I don't think he's as far off from really breaking through as his numbers might indicate.

The Rangers 2011 season is officially a success.

SILVER BOOT, BITCHES.

The-silver-boot.jpg

Lovely. You may display it alongside the other meaningless trophy in the case.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

With Derek Jeter closing in on 3,000 hits, this hasn't caught on yet.

Mariano Rivera is just 21 saves short of 600. 22 short of matching Trevor Hoffmann for most saves all time, 23 short for passing him.

Through 78 games he has 21 saves. 84 to go.. it could be done this season.

Bumping this because it got got stuck as the last post on the previous page.

It wasn't "stuck". Maybe nobody cares? There's no doubt that Mariano Rivera is one of the all-timers, but the save stat is simply absurd. People say that win-loss is overrated because it depends more on how good your team is (I don't necessarily agree with that btw) but the save stat depends even more on how may opportunities your team has, whether or not you are even a "closer" (seriously - how many starters would be great closers but they're too good to be in the bullpen so they're starters?) As a Phillies fan who saw first hand how valuable a great closer was in '08 (and how terrible the lack of one is in '09), I totally get how good some of these guys are - but the numbers themselves are meaningless.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived