2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Just cant stop Danny Espinosa. Kid is on a tear with 50 RBIs before the break.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pena, how dare you make me eat crow.

No fear, Cubs will find a way to lose this one. They never let me down in that regard.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't know the exact number for it, but I'd love to see Ricky Romero's ERA this year against the Red Sox in Fenway. I know he got blasted back in like April, and he didn't pitch too well today. He's already got an ERA somewhere in the 2's, I'd like to see what it would be if you took out the starts versus the Red Sox.

I don't know the exact number for it, but I'd love to see Ricky Romero's ERA this year against the Red Sox in Fenway. I know he got blasted back in like April, and he didn't pitch too well today. He's already got an ERA somewhere in the 2's, I'd like to see what it would be if you took out the starts versus the Red Sox.

They talked about this on the broadcast yesterday. This Opposition AVG versus the top 6 in the Sox lineup was something like .450. The fact that he still has a stellar ERA total is pretty impressive, since he can't seem to beat the Sox.

1zqy8ok.gif

With Polanco and Victorino out, as well as half of their bullpen, unless Halladay, Lee, and Hamels can throw complete game shutouts (doubtful), it's very realistic that the Braves could take first place this weekend.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is why I'm not buying the hype for the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies as unstoppable world-beaters, with one of them being the champs. All three teams have been bitten badly by the injury bug. I can't help but think that the constant whirlwind of players going in and out will hurt them in the playoffs because everyone's not on the same page.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Mauer will be playing first base tonight in the opener of what is a very important series for both the Twins and the White Sox. Also, a minor setback for the Twins, it looks like Scott Baker will be missing his next scheduled start. In any other year, I would complain that Baker (110+ IP, 3.01 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 104 K's) missed the ASG, but with the pitchers they have in the AL this year, it's impossible to complain.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

This is why I'm not buying the hype for the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies as unstoppable world-beaters, with one of them being the champs. All three teams have been bitten badly by the injury bug. I can't help but think that the constant whirlwind of players going in and out will hurt them in the playoffs because everyone's not on the same page.

While that is a good point, I look at it as a statement of how good those teams really are. If they can all have 50+ wins by the all star break with a depleted lineup, imagine what they could do with a full squad. But as you said it will come down to whether or not they can all be on the same page in October.

I'll be going to the Cubs-Nats game tonight. I also went to the one on Tuesday, where Baker's mindless error in the first goddamn inning cost the Cubs the game. Hopefully, Garza can plow his way through the Nationals lineup, and Livan could have one of his bad days (as he did the last time I saw him pitch live against Seattle.)

25yzwqg.png

I'll be going to the Cubs-Nats game tonight. I also went to the one on Tuesday, where Baker's mindless error in the first goddamn inning cost the Cubs the game. Hopefully, Garza can plow his way through the Nationals lineup, and Livan could have one of his bad days (as he did the last time I saw him pitch live against Seattle.)

You rang? :P

It's been an entertaining series so far! I can't wait to watch the last game tonight, which I am hoping is another pitching duel.

You rang? :P

It's been an entertaining series so far! I can't wait to watch the last game tonight, which I am hoping is another pitching duel.

Me, too, but mostly because we have a 10:30 train to catch, and if we don't make it the back up plan is a 30 minute cab ride from the Greenbelt Metro station to Odenton, MD, which ain't cheap.

But since Garza generally doesn't pitch more than 6 or 7 innings, Chicago's gonna need a big cushion so the bullpen can't blow it...

25yzwqg.png

Lol - "same page"? It's baseball - the most individual of all sports. They just need to get in the lineup and let everyone get settled into a spot in the order. It's only an issue if one person's absence forces another regular player to bounce between 2nd, 5th, 6th, etc - and even that's not that big of a deal once they're all back, because it's easier to regain comfort in your spot than it is to adjust to a new one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Gonna be a race between him, Freddie Freeman, & Craig Kimbrel for NL ROY honors. Espinosa has been killing it this year.

Lol - "same page"? It's baseball - the most individual of all sports. They just need to get in the lineup and let everyone get settled into a spot in the order. It's only an issue if one person's absence forces another regular player to bounce between 2nd, 5th, 6th, etc - and even that's not that big of a deal once they're all back, because it's easier to regain comfort in your spot than it is to adjust to a new one.

Have you ever played organized baseball? It's not anywhere near as simple as you're making it out to be. Being on the "same page" is far more important than you realize.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I'm in California on business and I took a ride out tonight to A's-Giants at the Coliseum, first time I was there.

Yeah, it's dumpy by today's standards. They definitely need a new stadium. That being said though, it was refreshing to finally go to a baseball game where the game was, you know, the main attraction. No fancy restaurants, didn't feel like a mall, you were there to watch the game and only watch the game. Good game (4-2 A's) and had a very enjoyable time.

I'm disappointed that half the stadium left in the 7th and 8th of a 4-2 game. I thought only Dodger fans did that, guess it's a California thing all-together. It was about 50/50 A's/Giants fans but it was too close a game to have door that. Poor job.

I agree with you on part, and disagree with you on another part. Yes, I agree that the Coliseum, while old, is still a great baseball venue. They have no real need for a new park unless they insist on all the gimmicks. Overall it's still a safe and relatively clean facility.

I'll disagree with you on one aspect though, only Dodgers fans regularly leave games early. Unless it's an absolute blowout, Giants games, and even most Angels games, are packed untill the last pitch. A lot of people decide to leave A's Giants games at the Coliseum early because of how many more people are at the games due to both markets being so close. Don't let the attendance numbers at the Coliseum be a representation of pro baseball in the state. Attendance numbers in Oakland have always been a bit weird and in many ways kind of dreadful. The bay area is Giants territory and unfortunately, Oakland is holding on to that market by the threads. That's why I feel that one way or another, with all of the feasibility issues and territorial problems the A's have run into, they'll end up in Sacramento one way or another.

Well I'm going BACK to California on Tuesday for vacation including a ballpark tour. (3 days back in New Jersey, it's a long story as to why I just didn't stay out there for a couple more days). I'll be hitting SD, LAA, LAD, OAK, and SF in order. I'll report back :).

Not that any of you probably care but I was at the A's-Mariners game yesterday at the Coliseum, 2-0 going into the 9th, and not a soul left early. Granted it was a modest (but not tiny) crowd to begin with but nobody headed for the exits until Bailey closed the door in the 9th.

Also, SD, LAA, and LAD fans all had their cabooses in their seats until the final out. Dodger fans didn't leave though because it was on the 4th and was fireworks night. However, there were throngs of people walking in from the parking lot as late as the (gulp) 7th inning.

Giants-Padres tonight in SF and Giants-Mets tomorrow or Saturday. Then my 4 weeks in California comes to an end, and it's back to reality. Ugh.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Have you ever played organized baseball? It's not anywhere near as simple as you're making it out to be. Being on the "same page" is far more important than you realize.

Exactly. Baseball is a mental game as well as a physical game. Constant injuries can damage the confidence and morale of the affected players and the team. That can kill teams come playoff time, when every team needs to be especially sharp, physically and mentally.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Exactly. Baseball is a mental game as well as a physical game. Constant injuries can damage the confidence and morale of the affected players and the team. That can kill teams come playoff time, when every team needs to be especially sharp, physically and mentally.

You could basically say that for every sport though.

Gonna be a race between him, Freddie Freeman, & Craig Kimbrel for NL ROY honors. Espinosa has been killing it this year.

Its too bad his average killed his all star chances, but thats ok, hes been absolutely lights out this year.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

You could basically say that for every sport though.

What's your point?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Archived