2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Ummm....Dude, the 500 HR club isn't exactly prestigious anymore.

I never said it was, notice how I said "talked about", either way it's still a small club. (25) and still meaningful when you talk about guys like Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Mantle, Wiliams, ct.

No, those players are meaningful because of stuff they did on top of crossing that particular round number plateau.

Besides not doing it cleanly. What have those players done that Bonds, A-Rod, Ramirez, Palmeiro have not done? They are not just HR hitters, they are all-time great hitters.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Jeter, second SS to get his 3,000 hit, first was Honus Wagner.

He was also the second SS to get his 2999, 2998, 2997, 2996, 2995, and so on down the line. Didn't see any fuss about that...

To me, 3001 will be more impressive than 3000. With 3001, he'll move past someone, with 3000, he may have tied Clemente, but it's no different than 2999, and so on...

I almost fell asleep reading this.

You don't see the significance of 3,000 hits. Most people do.

Well, most people like bright shiny objects too apparently. Please explain the significance of a nice round number to me. I'm not wowed by a number just because it has a lot of zeroes in it. He tied Clemente, great. But all this "first Yankee to 3000, second SS to 3000, 28th player to 3000, etc." could also be applied to 2999. That has a lot of nines in it...

Other than being 1 more than 2999 and tying Clemente on the all time hit list, what is so significant about it?

Only 27 men reached the milestone before him, but I guess you're smarter than all the people who talk about 3,000 hit club, 500 hr club, 40-40 club.

Only 27 men reached 2993 before him, where were the headlilnes and excitement then? Is that all you have for significance?

If people want to follow a 3000 hit club, 50 hr club, whatever, great, whatever. It's like a bright shiny object with lots of zeroes, and like most things in sports, nobody takes the time to actually analyze what it truly means. And for me, it means nothing, other than tying Clemente...

Good for you.

Explain it then. Explain the wonderful significance of 3000. Because all you've come up with is just as easily applied to any number of hits between 2988 and 3000. Or just admit you like bright shiny numbers and don't want to think beyond that...

I just find it incredible that given all the greats that have suited up for the Yankees, none of them got 3000 hits with the team.

That really struck me too. Of course there's always that "what if?" applied to Gehrig's career (I think he would have shattered many many records, personally), but to think that in the long list of Yankee legends...Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Dickey, Berra, Mantle...that Jeter was the first really does make it all the more remarkable.

It's crazy to think a team like the Padres had a player (Gwynn) reach it before the Yankees! :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Just ignore the pathetic haters raining on the parade.

baby-crying.jpg

Pretty much par for the course with Dexter in this thread. WHY DON'T YOU GUYS LOVE YANKEES YANKEES YANKEES YOU ARE JUST HATING.

I don't give a crap what team you like. But you can;t have a discussion about the Yankees with some of you guys, namely Lights out, because his hatred, admitted hatred for the Yankees taints anything he says. Yankee fans can't even discuss a great milestone without the hating. But it's expected.

Carry on.

Ummm....Dude, the 500 HR club isn't exactly prestigious anymore.

I never said it was, notice how I said "talked about", either way it's still a small club. (25) and still meaningful when you talk about guys like Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Mantle, Wiliams, ct.

No, those players are meaningful because of stuff they did on top of crossing that particular round number plateau.

Besides not doing it cleanly. What have those players done that Bonds, A-Rod, Ramirez, Palmeiro have not done? They are not just HR hitters, they are all-time great hitters.

They were not the subjects of a biopic my Uncle was an extra in?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can think of plenty of all-time greats that never got 3000 hits or 500 home runs. Charlie Gehringer, Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Joe Morgan, Ivan Rodriguez, Brooks Robinson, and I do think people tend to overrate round number stats like that when evaluating players all-time and I think its going to lead to people ranking Jeter much higher then what I feel he should be.

But even I'm not jaded enough to say oh you got 3000 hits, big deal. It is a big deal. Baseball is the only sport where numbers like that mean something. Its part of what makes the sport unique.

What, you can't handle a taste of your own medicine, Dexter? That's telling.

Have you considered that most people don't WANT to discuss the Yankees all the time?

Own medicine? Unlike you, I'm not a troll. Tell me what team do I constantly hate on? It frankly doesn;t bother me, but you cry like a baby when I question the stupid things you say.

Anyone can talk about any team they like. No one forces you to discuss anything that you don't want to.

Wow. This really because a pissing contest.

Jeter's 3,000th hit is a great baseball accomplishment. Even me, as a Red Sox fan, can appreciate it without yellow raining on the parade.

3,000 is considered the milestone by baseball historians. Yes, it's a nice round number. But it also means that a player has hit around 200 hits for 15 years (or 150 hits for 20 years). Mathematically speaking, that's about a .300 career average (again with the round numbers).

A .300 career average is a remarkable statistic. IT MEANS YOU ARE A VERY GOOD HITTER.

Is that SO hard to understand?

If you want to argue why 3,000 is more culturally significant than 2,999, go find a mathematician.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I can think of plenty of all-time greats that never got 3000 hits or 500 home runs. Charlie Gehringer, Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Joe Morgan, Ivan Rodriguez, Brooks Robinson, and I do think people tend to overrate round number stats like that when evaluating players all-time and I think its going to lead to people ranking Jeter much higher then what I feel he should be.

But even I'm not jaded enough to say oh you got 3000 hits, big deal. It is a big deal. Baseball is the only sport where numbers like that mean something. Its part of what makes the sport unique.

Jeter's 3,000th hit is a great baseball accomplishment. Even me, as a Red Sox fan, can appreciate it without yellow raining on the parade.

3,000 is considered the milestone by baseball historians. Yes, it's a nice round number. But it also means that a player has hit around 200 hits for 15 years (or 150 hits for 20 years). Mathematically speaking, that's about a .300 career average (again with the round numbers).

A .300 career average is a remarkable statistic. IT MEANS YOU ARE A VERY GOOD HITTER.

If you want to argue why 3,000 is more culturally significant than 2,999, go find a mathematician.

Thank you for saying what I couldn't muster up. My thoughts exactly.

Really, Dex? If you're not a troll, why did you flip out when I pulled out that crying-baby picture you use whenever anyone says something you don't like? If that isn't trollish behavior then it shouldn't have set you off like that, right?

Truth be told, I'm not some mysterious "hater" who ruins Yankee fans' happiness at all times. You're just annoying and open yourself up to hostile responses.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On a side note, Jeter's 5 for 5 on the day. I guess if you're gonna make history, you might as well have one hell of a day all around. The unbearable Michael Kay brought up that the only other 5-for-5 on a player's 3,000 hit game was Craig Biggio. Interesting.

What our esteemed colleague said.

I'm pissed because I wasn't home to see it happen live. Anyway...

If some of you can't see the significance of hit number 3000 and Jeter being the first Yankee to reach 3000, then you should re-examine why you're baseball fans in the first place. The guy has been nothing but class and a pure professional his entire career. A baseball thread deserves better than some of the BS that's going on in here right now. If you can't lay off the "Yankee hate" long enough to stop and appreciate a true baseball milestone, then you shouldn't be here. Simple as that.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

If some of you can't see the significance of hit number 3000 and Jeter being the first Yankee to reach 3000, then you should re-examine why you're baseball fans in the first place. The guy has been nothing but class and a pure professional his entire career. A baseball thread deserves better than some of the BS that's going on in here right now. If you can't lay off the "Yankee hate" long enough to stop and appreciate a true baseball milestone, then you shouldn't be here. Simple as that.

I hate to be that guy, but +1. Very well said. I completely agree, if you're a baseball fan, this should mean something of importance and respect to you, especially where it involves such a classy player as Jeter.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

especially where it involves such a classy player as Jeter.

I was there, probably 150 feet away. My phone blew up with people saying that he was faking it.

Congrats, i guess. It's a big accomplishment. I just don't like how much it's being blown up on the worldwide leader.

My questioning of the value of 3000 has nothing to do with Jeter or the Yankees. I've done the same thing with other players who hit 3000, or 500 HR, or any other number that's determined to be a "milestone" because it's a nice round number. And I don't really need to re-examine my fandom either. As far as I'm concerned, the greatest accomplishment Jeter arrived at today was passing Clemente on the all time hit list. In a few days when he passes Al Kaline, that will be more impressive to me than hitting his 3000th today, but it probably won't be more than a footnote in the game log that day...

There's plenty of significance in his 3000th hit. I remember Wade Boggs getting his 3000th as a Devil Ray - it was a rare bright spot in the Naimoli era. However, that doesn't mean I need to start worshipping Jeter. Let's keep some perspective here.

It's not about perspective. It's about you feeling the need to jump on someone else congratulating Jeter by announcing you don't like him.

You have this issue where you have to comment about EVERYTHING. Wonder why people regard you as a troll? This is a perfect reason why.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived