Purple and Gray Striped Football Field

LetsGoOakland9

I don't really see this as a passing fad. First of all, colored turf has been around since the 1980s.

Correction. Boise State has had it since the 80s. It's been their "thing" for most the time between then and now. It wasn't a fad, it just just a goofy thing unique to one program. No harm, no foul. The spread of it is a current fad.

Secondly, you'd better believe more small schools are going to be installing it in the coming years in an effort to enhance their branding and get name recognition.

I see that happening. It seems like something that will help get their name out. The problem, though, is that it's an empty gesture, an action partaken without any real meaning behind it. When BSU did it they were the first. It was their thing, they owned it. That was enough to keep it going. When these other schools do it there's none of that ownership, none of that sense that a tradition is being built. It's just something the school's doing to get noticed. It's a fad, and fads fade.

Then, I think it will spread to the bigger schools, as they're always concerned with distinguishing themselves from the pack in every possible way when it comes to recruiting.

Just like with uniforms, big programs don't need to resort to gimmicky football fields to get recruits.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying that recruits will base their decision on a school only on its field, don't even bother twisting my words in that way.)

Captain Broadstroke never gets old.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, there have been fields with alternating shades of green for quite a while now, so multicolored fields aren't that new. I actually think this is unique because it is the first field with alternately colors on it that are completely different form each other. I still think they should have darkened the shade of purple though. Now it looks to 80s.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

This is simply horrible. Enough said.

I not sure if the idea itself is that bad, but the execution was lacking. Of course, when your a school like UCA, how else are you going to get recognized?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

If one searches "University of Central Arkansas" there is no news on a turn and the football team. When you are still in the Southland Conference yo are not getting on television anyway.

If one searches University of Alabama, there isn't either. If you search Central Arkansas Football, there is.

I not sure if the idea itself is that bad, but the execution was lacking. Of course, when your a school like UCA, how else are you going to get recognized?

Hire the best coaches possible, recruit as well as you can, and play good football?

Madness!

Hire the best coaches possible, recruit as well as you can, and play good football?

Easier said then done.

For small schools like UCA, unless you luck into a once-in-a-lifetime Boise State-esque situation, that's not enough.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I dig purple so I'm a fan of the originally mentioned field

My 2 cents.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

UCA is a very accomplished school for only being Division 1 a handful of years. They played my school this past fall and while I was filming the game for the team I was speaking to the head of their sports video department and he told me that they've had winning season each year that they've been division 1 and in their first year would have won the Southland Conference if they had not be inelgible for that season due to being a stipulation in their joining Division 1. They also spanked us... but so did eight other teams.

As for the purple turf, he told me they were trying to get it and I didn't believe it would happen but damn am I wrong. I have watched Eastern Washington games on TV and "The Inferno" burns the eyes for the first quarter then you adjust to it. Not sure how purple and grey will be.

BUMP! They started installing this. The shade of purple is different than I expected. It looks alot worse than I ever imagined.

252813_10150182424391580_111051716579_7446137_1351867_n.jpg

Holy crap, it wasn't an April Fool's Joke. :blink:

...I would expect them to market the fact that they don't need gimmicks like this and they'll sell it to recruits that "the big boys play on green")...

...and small schools will start allowing players to wear nicknames on the back of their jerseys.

I understand multi-colored fields are an attention-getter/recruiting tool. I know that the business of college football (and athletics in general) is cutthroat and any edge you can get to lure recruits/win games/atttract fans/woo donors is an edge worth having.

That being said, I feel there is beauty in simplicity. To me gimmicks (multi-colored fields, alternate uniforms, etc.) come off as attention-seeking and unflattering. I would prefer if teams stuck with green for their fields, but if not green, then at least a solid-ish color. I agree with BringBackTheVet, I believe watching a game on a multi-stripe field would be sensory overload.

Go Cougs.

...I would expect them to market the fact that they don't need gimmicks like this and they'll sell it to recruits that "the big boys play on green")...

...and small schools will start allowing players to wear nicknames on the back of their jerseys.

I understand multi-colored fields are an attention-getter/recruiting tool. I know that the business of college football (and athletics in general) is cutthroat and any edge you can get to lure recruits/win games/atttract fans/woo donors is an edge worth having.

That being said, I feel there is beauty in simplicity. To me gimmicks (multi-colored fields, alternate uniforms, etc.) come off as attention-seeking and unflattering. I would prefer if teams stuck with green for their fields, but if not green, then at least a solid-ish color. I agree with BringBackTheVet, I believe watching a game on a multi-stripe field would be sensory overload.

Actually, if they darkened the purple, it wouldn't be that bad. But as it stands now, the purple is really bright, and would take a little getting used to. But it seems that teams with colored fields have a huge home field advantage. Just look at Boise State.

LOL, not that old excuse again. You lost to Boise State in Autzen as well, so I wouldn't start blaming the turf if I were you.

That was not my point at all. We lost to Boise because we played horrible, and they figured out that Blount jumped up and down a little every time he was getting the ball. Fine, look at EWU, FCS National Champs. Colored fields, fair or not work.

Archived