Purple and Gray Striped Football Field

LetsGoOakland9

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it will look as bad as West Hills High School in California. I think it actually think the purple looks neat. Even though everyone seems to disagree with it :P

Here's West Hills

That actually looks awesome.

No.

It doesn't.

Yes.

It does.

Opinions are fun

I don't think it will look as bad as West Hills High School in California. I think it actually think the purple looks neat. Even though everyone seems to disagree with it :P

Here's West Hills

Football-Field.jpg

That actually looks awesome.

I think I've seen enough tennis played on blue hardcourts and other indoor sports with blue courts that this really isn't too much of a leap for my brain to accept. Purple and grey, on the other hand...

Yeah, remember those spinner wheels for cars that were the rage for about ten minutes? This is going to go the same way, only these fields are such a huge investment that the schools dumb enough to install them will be stuck for years to come.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yeah, remember those spinner wheels for cars that were the rage for about ten minutes? This is going to go the same way, only these fields are such a huge investment that the schools dumb enough to install them will be stuck for years to come.

In-bloody-deed. This is the single most ridiculous trend to hit the sporting world in a while.

I don't really see this as a passing fad. First of all, colored turf has been around since the 1980s. Secondly, you'd better believe more small schools are going to be installing it in the coming years in an effort to enhance their branding and get name recognition. Then, I think it will spread to the bigger schools, as they're always concerned with distinguishing themselves from the pack in every possible way when it comes to recruiting. (Disclaimer: I am not saying that recruits will base their decision on a school only on its field, don't even bother twisting my words in that way.)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

BUMP! They started installing this. The shade of purple is different than I expected. It looks alot worse than I ever imagined.

252813_10150182424391580_111051716579_7446137_1351867_n.jpg

You know...it's certainly not clear how accurate those colors are in that photograph, but I can't help thinking that the shade of Purple used there match the old shade of Purple for Central Arkansas, versus the newer shade unveiled in 2010:

Old:

CentralArkansasUOf_OFF_2009_SOL_SRGB.png

New:

CentralArkansasUOf_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I'm not saying that it's definitely wrong, but it makes me wonder...

I don't really see this as a passing fad. First of all, colored turf has been around since the 1980s. Secondly, you'd better believe more small schools are going to be installing it in the coming years in an effort to enhance their branding and get name recognition. Then, I think it will spread to the bigger schools, as they're always concerned with distinguishing themselves from the pack in every possible way when it comes to recruiting. (Disclaimer: I am not saying that recruits will base their decision on a school only on its field, don't even bother twisting my words in that way.)

Give it a few years. I think after a while, the fans and announcers (and viewers) will complain that it's too much of a distraction and makes it difficult to watch the game, and teams will start to realize that it's a mistake. Nothing you said was wrong (though I disagree about the "bigger" schools - I would expect them to market the fact that they don't need gimmicks like this and they'll sell it to recruits that "the big boys play on green") but you're not factoring in the ramifications that these fields will have to the broadcast. Of course I'm just speculating, as I've never watched a game on one of these wacky fields, but I cannot imagine that it'd be easy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Next thing you know, Michigan State is going to unveil a green football field. :P

THIS!

Next thing you know, it'll be Tulane! Then the Jets!

The Saints will have to install a green football field for Tulane to have one, and I'm not sure they are going to do that for a crappy college team :P

Archived