2011 NBA Playoffs

Rockstar Matt

If I had to pick a NBA team it would be the Mavs. First started following them because of Steve Nash and went he left I kept supporting them because of Dirk and Cuban. With that said, I am thrilled to see them win, but I can't help but feel bad for Phil Jackson. Arguably the best coach in sports history, Phil leaves the game with his head hanging in an embarrassing loss, and his team looking like a bunch of punks. I have a lot of respect for the guy and it's too bad that's the way he goes out.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy this win Mavericks fans. Our fate was sealed as soon as Kobe called that ref a fa****. (And to an extent, our fate was sealed when we won the title last year. We've looked tired this whole season) It's awful that refs will let a vendetta against Kobe dictate how this series was called. I've never seen a worse officiated series. I fully believe the league is rigged. It makes me wonder how much Cuban is paying the refs in this series...

While the Lakers haven't played up to par this whole season, in these playoffs, both the Hornets and the Mavericks have been allowed to consistently hack the Lakers and the Mavs have gotten away with clogging the paint up with up to 5 guys at times in there for well over 5, 6, 7 and even 10 seconds. While the refs will call bogus fouls on us and let the Mavs clobber the Lakers.

The Lakers in this second half have not played like themselves with Bynum getting ejected and he was rightfully ejected.

I hope the Mavericks lose the next series (to either Memphis or the Thunder) at home. Correction, I hope they get the living snot beat out of them. I also hope we play them next year in the playoffs, because we'll kick the living s*** out of them.

This is why a lot of people are sick of Lakers fans. Obnoxious winners, poor losers. The refs cheated L.A., the Lakers gave it away, the league is fixed...blah blah blah. Get over yourselves and give it up to a team that beat you fair and square.

Oh, and to act like the Lakers don't get the calls maybe the funniest thing I've ever read on this board, and I've been here since '05.

As someone who pulled for the Kings in the early 2000's I feel almost insulted that a Lakers fan would go on that they lost this series because the NBA is rigged and Cuban paid off the refs. This is why I hate the NBA in general, everyone from the owners to the players to the fans cry foul whenever something doesn't go their way. Nobody can just man up and accept the responsibility that their team played like a bunch of weak little girls and folded under the pressure. The Lakers got smacked around by a better team and instead of manning up and stepping up the intensity they fell apart. The entire Lakers organization is the epitome of what I dislike about sports, and you just made my feelings even stronger, Matt.

But, now seeing it from the opposite spectrum as opposed to being the beneficiary of thrown games/series it makes me question whether the NBA really did let the Lakers beat the Kings. I know everyone points out Game 6 of that series, but I don't remember that game for some reason. And now, I really wonder if the NBA selects it's champion once the playoffs begin.

That being said, I hope every series isn't as bad as this one was from the officiating stand point. My dad has constantly pointed out since Stern became commissioner, the the refs have gotten progressively worst. And I have to agree with him. AND my feelings aren't coming solely from this series. Just over the course of watching basketball, I've seen some games where the Lakers aren't even involved and some things just don't add up.

The moment Kobe Bryant practically murdered Mike Bibby and they called the foul on Bibby I knew something wasn't right. I'm just like you, Matt. I think basketball is as rigged as the WWF/E. It's why after that series I completely lost a strong interest in basketball. When it's so obviously unwinnable, why bother even watching? Then after Tim Donaghy admitted to making calls to favor the point spread I lost all respect for the sport. If it wasn't for my like of Lebron and the boards here, I would have completely cut off connection to the NBA. The sport is a complete joke to me, but seeing the Lakers and Spurs out at least makes watching games somewhat entertaining for the simple fact that there's someone relatively new winning the title in that debacle of a sport.

I'm feeling this way. I absolutely believe that there is no way the Donaghy was the only one no matter how much Stern insists he was just a rogue ref and anyone that believes in Sterns b.s. is completely and utterly delusional. I don't think I can really watch basketball anymore. Not even if the Lakers were in the Finals. I feel now like all of these titles we've gotten are somehow tainted.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I'm feeling this way. I absolutely believe that there is no way the Donaghy was the only one no matter how much Stern insists he was just a rogue ref and anyone that believes in Sterns b.s. is completely and utterly delusional. I don't think I can really watch basketball anymore. Not even if the Lakers were in the Finals. I feel now like all of these titles we've gotten are somehow tainted.

I agree with this. Stern is a scumbag.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

The Lakers were only an average playoff team

Pau Gasol and the improvement of Andrew Bynum helped them bridge the gap.

and the Celtics were one of the worst teams in the league before 2008.

The Celtics went from Paul Pierce and not much else to the Big Three from 07 to 08.

and then we have two Laker-Celtic finals in three years?

Well, the Celtics did win 66 games in 08, 62 games in 09, and the Lakers have been the number one seed in 08, 09, and 10. So it's not so implausible, though the Celtics run last year was a bit of a surprise.

Odom didn't deserve an ejection.

I'll go along with that. It was a cheap shot, but nothing more. But you know how those officials are: any hint of trouble and they overdo it to keep the peace. It wasn't the worst ejection I've ever seen, but I wouldn't have thrown him out.

Definitely. Absolutely a foul, but not ejection worthy. I've seen much worse, namely that one white dude from the Pacers who tried to decapitate Rose and Deng.

The Celtics got better after the trade.

I believe the Kings game 6 was fixed (the whole series, really. but, just watch it. all of the King centers fouled out on phantom calls, and the refs nailed Bibby for an outrageous foul that should've been on Kobe), and other games have been as well. However I don't see evidence of fixing in this series, considering how dominant the Mavs were the entire way. The Lakers' mistakes did them in, along with supreme shooting. If you deny that and point to the officiating, I don't know what to tell you. There's no way officiating changed the course of this series. At all.

My opinion on Stern is that he doesn't have a "master plan" BUT I do believe he has "influenced" the outcome of games in the past.

Oh man, no doubt. The Lakers made some bone-headed decisions and the Mavs shot lights from three point land, especially in Game 4. But you're not listening, more like reading actually since we're in the Internet, to what I'm saying. While yes, Lakers made some questionable decisions and Mavs shot well, awful calls and non-calls took us out from our rhythm. I'll point out one. During Game 3 when the Mavs started shooting 3's like mad to come back, Nowitski had an open three that he made and I wondered how the hell he was so open. On replay you can see the Chandler cleared out Gasol by giving him two arms to Gasol's throat. Another play in the same game, Fisher's "foul" on Terry with 17 seconds left. No way in other game ever is what Fisher did, a foul. Absolutely not. Instead of allowing us the opportunity to play D and get the ball back, as the shot clock had between 5-10 seconds, they called that bogus foul on Fish, which cost us the game. Those are just a few that I remember most prominently right now, but there are so many others.

Matt, let me ask you this... if David Stern is such a :censored: joke of a commissioner, the referees don't know how to call a :censored: game evenly, and have been getting worse since he got the job in 1984, and of course your Lakers are a victim of this grand conspiracy, do you even watch or care what happens with the NBA? If it pisses you off that badly, just change the channel. Being a Spurs fan, yeah, I do root for them to win and there are some other players on other teams who I like, but it's not that big of a deal. I hate to pull the "we" card, but I'll pull it here... we lost to an 8th-seed, and you got swept out of the Conference Semifinals. Deal with it dude. Don't let this game get to you like this... trust me, no team or sport is worth getting this upset over, ever.

If there was some grand conspiracy against the Lakers, Kobe wouldn't have five rings.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Another play in the same game, Fisher's "foul" on Terry with 17 seconds left. No way in other game ever is what Fisher did, a foul. Absolutely not. Instead of allowing us the opportunity to play D and get the ball back, as the shot clock had between 5-10 seconds, they called that bogus foul on Fish, which cost us the game.

I saw the play, and in my eyes it was a foul. I'm completely non-partisan (Wizards fan), and I saw a foul, albeit a questionable one, but I agree with the call. To a Laker fan? Obviously I don't expect you to accept the call, after all there's gotta be some scapegoat. There wasn't enough of a disparity (nor were there enough bad calls) to blame the officials for "taking [LA] out of [their] rhythm.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Matt, let me ask you this... if David Stern is such a fluffin' joke of a commissioner, the referees don't know how to call a fluffin' game evenly, and have been getting worse since he got the job in 1984, and of course your Lakers are a victim of this grand conspiracy, do you even watch or care what happens with the NBA? If it pisses you off that badly, just change the channel. Being a Spurs fan, yeah, I do root for them to win and there are some other players on other teams who I like, but it's not that big of a deal. I hate to pull the "we" card, but I'll pull it here... we lost to an 8th-seed, and you got swept out of the Conference Semifinals. Deal with it dude. Don't let this game get to you like this... trust me, no team or sport is worth getting this upset over, ever.

First off, the Lakers haven't been victim at all. We've won 8 titles since Stern became commissioner. The victims have been teams like the Orlando Magic, Utah Jazz, New Jersey Nets and countless others. Since Stern has been in the league only the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and Heat have won a title. Only 7 out of 30 teams for the last 27 years. And if you look at the NFL, MLB, or NHL in that same span and you'll see a great variety of champions, for the most part. Greater than the NBA. But, if you look before Stern's time, you would see more variety in the champions.

I probably won't watch the NBA anymore, or at least view as anything other than entertainment and not real sports. While the actual game of basketball is so much fun to play, Stern has turned it into something ghastly. Even though my dad is a Laker fan, he saw that the officiating was getting so bad, that even after we beat the Celtics, he vowed he would not watch anymore basketball and he hasn't. I'll probably join him, and I'm not as worked up as my posts might indicate.

Matt, let me ask you this... if David Stern is such a fluffin' joke of a commissioner, the referees don't know how to call a fluffin' game evenly, and have been getting worse since he got the job in 1984, and of course your Lakers are a victim of this grand conspiracy, do you even watch or care what happens with the NBA? If it pisses you off that badly, just change the channel. Being a Spurs fan, yeah, I do root for them to win and there are some other players on other teams who I like, but it's not that big of a deal. I hate to pull the "we" card, but I'll pull it here... we lost to an 8th-seed, and you got swept out of the Conference Semifinals. Deal with it dude. Don't let this game get to you like this... trust me, no team or sport is worth getting this upset over, ever.

First off, the Lakers haven't been victim at all. We've won 8 titles since Stern became commissioner. The victims have been teams like the Orlando Magic, Utah Jazz, New Jersey Nets and countless others. Since Stern has been in the league only the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and Heat have won a title. Only 7 out of 30 teams for the last 27 years. And if you look at the NFL, MLB, or NHL in that same span and you'll see a great variety of champions, for the most part. Greater than the NBA. But, if you look before Stern's time, you would see more variety in the champions.

I probably won't watch the NBA anymore, or at least view as anything other than entertainment and not real sports. While the actual game of basketball is so much fun to play, Stern has turned it into something ghastly. Even though my dad is a Laker fan, he saw that the officiating was getting so bad, that even after we beat the Celtics, he vowed he would not watch anymore basketball and he hasn't. I'll probably join him, and I'm not as worked up as my posts might indicate.

Good, because trust me, every sports league is going to be influenced to some degree, and that includes football too. Just view it as entertainment (which is, beyond athletic competition, precisely the only thing it is) and nothing more. I'd hate to see one series, or some flaky occurrences ruin the game for you. Oh, and Stern can't live forever, so maybe that's something to look forward to.

Really? The Lakers lose and suddenly the NBA is rigged against them? I think the 2000 Blazers and 2002 Kings might have something to say about that.

By the way, the Lakers shot more free throws (26 FTA) than the Mavs (19 FTA). If they were rigging today's game for the Mavs, they probably could have done a better job.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Good, because trust me, every sports league is going to be influenced to some degree, and that includes football too. Just view it as entertainment (which is, beyond athletic competition, precisely the only thing it is) and nothing more. I'd hate to see one series, or some flaky occurrences ruin the game for you. Oh, and Stern can't live forever, so maybe that's something to look forward to.

Yeah I know, NBA just has the most room for influence. This series just further pushes my opinion that's been solidifying for a couple of years now. While, I'll still play basketball and such, I just won't watch the NBA anymore.

By this, you can add the '06 Mavericks to the victim list.

I just looked at some stats and the Lakers committed 79 fouls to the Mavericks 74, so I guess you're right. I feel dirty as a Mavs fan, those five fouls definately gave us the SWEEP.

newsig.jpg

Really? The Lakers lose and suddenly the NBA is rigged against them? I think the 2000 Blazers and 2002 Kings might have something to say about that.

By the way, the Lakers shot more free throws (26 FTA) than the Mavs (19 FTA). If they were rigging today's game for the Mavs, they probably could have done a better job.

That doesn't matter. I'm just talking through the course of the series, through fouls called in crucial moments or the onslaught of non-calls.

By this, you can add the '06 Mavericks to the victim list.

I just looked at some stats and the Lakers committed 79 fouls to the Mavericks 74, so I guess you're right. I feel dirty as a Mavs fan, those five fouls definately gave us the SWEEP.

Yes, you can. Cuban probably pissed off the NBA somehow.

And read my response to Lights Out. I guarantee that the Bulls, Heat, or Celtics will win it this year. While Dallas, Memphis, and Oklahoma City have good enough teams to win it all, they won't. Watch for it. Stern won't let it happen.

And if one of those Western Conference teams does win... then what? You know, I'd figure you'd be hot after a real rival beat your team, like Phoenix, San Antonio, somebody who you have a real history with inside the conference. You are Cowboys fan, and it is a Dallas team, so it could've been worse. Just saying...

I have an idea: Just admit that the Lakers were outplayed and outclassed by the Mavs.

Enough with the damn conspiracy bunk. They had just as much of a chance as the Mavs did to win this game and they flat out played like DOGS.

Sooner or later, that 'mighty' Laker team was going to crumble. You saw the cracks starting to show when Bynum said there were 'trust issues' after the loss in Game 1 (BTW, trust issues? You'd think the defending champs would be over this kind of crap by now). Now what's left is a broken and humbled team heading back to LA waiting for when Phil Jackson finally hangs up his clipboard.

Even a reasonable Laker fan can see that they were outplayed and outclassed. Any reasonable fan can see that...

Phil Jackson probably will hang it up. I'm not going to guarantee anything, because the man is a good coach, but he seemed distant and at peace with himself, specifically in the Dallas series. He didn't seem to care too much that he was getting completely destroyed in this series by Dallas. Who knows? The man might go to Miami, or to New York, and develop another talented but flawed team and reep the benefits of leading another franchise to a bunch of titles.

Regardless, respect to the man, that's one hell of a coach.

And if one of those Western Conference teams does win... then what? You know, I'd figure you'd be hot after a real rival beat your team, like Phoenix, San Antonio, somebody who you have a real history with inside the conference. You are Cowboys fan, and it is a Dallas team, so it could've been worse. Just saying...

Then, I'd be shocked as heck. Stern has never liked Phil though. He's always quick to point out how bad the officials are, and Stern always fines him for it. Plus, Los Angeles hates Stern. Rather more than most places actually.

It's okay though, I hope a newcomer wins a title, like the Thunder or Grizzlies, I just have a horrible feeling that Chicago, Miami, or Boston will win it.

The thing is though, I'm not angry or anything. Just disappointed.

Out the Dallas teams, I only love the Cowboys. I dislike everyone else.

Archived