Another new proposed site for a Vikings stadium.

bigbean24

There is a new site that is being talked about for the new Vikings home, the Minneapolis farmers market. This is probably the 10th site proposed.

Alot of people are hating the idea of this one. The thing that made me think is that alot of people were commenting on the thing and saying stuff like "oh dont tare down the farmers market." Did they even read the article it said they would build a new farmers market near the site. Other people are mad because of the taxes, I personally dont care if my taxes rise a little because of a new stadium but then again I love stadiums.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.kare11.com/sports/article/921684/24/Study-favors-spot-near-Target-Field-for-Vikings-

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intersting site. The proposed stadium looks like a purple Gillete Stadium.

There is no real proposed stadium at this point, just a stadium site. They just took a drawing of a random stadium and put it on the map to get a visual.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I say play at TCF while building new arena on Metrodome site.

That's probably the best move, short of fortifying TCF Bank Stadium to NFL calibre.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's probably the best move, short of fortifying TCF Bank Stadium to NFL calibre.

I don't know why they just didn't build TCF Bank Stadium for both the Vikings and the University of Minnesota. I've following this story for awhile, and its my opinion that the Vikings are making this way more difficult then it needs to be.

Their lack of a new stadium I feel is almost entirely due to their refusal to compromise on almost any issue. Its not enough for them to have a shared stadium, or a renovated Metrodome, or even play at TCF Bank Stadium for a few years until a new stadium can be built on the Metrodome site. They need their own brand new facility to have all to themselves and put up next to no money to get it.

I don't know why they just didn't build TCF Bank Stadium for both the Vikings and the University of Minnesota. I've following this story for awhile, and its my opinion that the Vikings are making this way more difficult then it needs to be.

Their lack of a new stadium I feel is almost entirely due to their refusal to compromise on almost any issue. Its not enough for them to have a shared stadium, or a renovated Metrodome, or even play at TCF Bank Stadium for a few years until a new stadium can be built on the Metrodome site. They need their own brand new facility to have all to themselves and put up next to no money to get it.

Because colleges don't like selling beer on campus. (Surprise! Surprise!) That's why.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Then sell beer for Vikings games but not Gophers games. People make life harder than it has to be.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Just say the land isn't on University property. Say you can only sell beer for Vikings games. Those types of things can be worked out.

To use that as a reason for the Vikings not coming in is making a mountain out of a mole hill. And it doesen't change my opinion of the Vikings making this way more difficult then it needs to be as the primary reason for their lack of a new stadium.

Then sell beer for Vikings games but not Gophers games. People make life harder than it has to be.

Just say the land isn't on University property.

LOL what?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The beer thing is not what's stopping the vikes from playing there. In fact, don't be surprised if that place is selling beer for U of M games one day...a lot of people want to see it (count me out...I like the fact that almost no on-campus game sells beer.).

The Vikes' problem is very simple...the people don't want public financing. Of course, that was the case for the Twins and everyone seems happy now. This time, the economy is in worse shape. Someone is going to have to jam this down a constituency's throat. There is no way a referendum would pass.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just say the land isn't on University property.

LOL what?

You've never heard of that? Colleges do it all the time. They'll have an open container ban on the campus, but to get around it for the stadium (ie. tailgating) the stadium will be registered on general town property so its not subjected to University laws.

An easier thing to do would be to just lower the drinking age, but the moralists behind the law don't want to face the consiquences of what the law actually does and would rather believe it does what they want it to do, so it'll be around for awhile.

No I haven't heard of that, but your point makes sense now. I thought you wanted people to just arbitrarily say "Nah, man, we're not on university property...want another one?"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The beer thing is not what's stopping the vikes from playing there. In fact, don't be surprised if that place is selling beer for U of M games one day...a lot of people want to see it (count me out...I like the fact that almost no on-campus game sells beer.).

The Vikes' problem is very simple...the people don't want public financing. Of course, that was the case for the Twins and everyone seems happy now. This time, the economy is in worse shape. Someone is going to have to jam this down a constituency's throat. There is no way a referendum would pass.

What did then?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm sure UofM doesn't want the Vikings playing there, because they (unlike the rest of the Big Ten), haven't had a stadium to call their own until now (not counting before the Vikes came to town).

Wasn't there a fundamental split between the Vikings and the University on the capacity? The University wanted a smaller stadium with fewer luxury boxes, which is what they have now.

Because it was built solely for the Gophers, it's a 50,000-seat stadium with 60 lucury boxes. That would be by far the smallest stadium in the NFL.

Wasn't there a fundamental split between the Vikings and the University on the capacity? The University wanted a smaller stadium with fewer luxury boxes, which is what they have now.

Because it was built solely for the Gophers, it's a 50,000-seat stadium with 60 lucury boxes. That would be by far the smallest stadium in the NFL.

Even smaller than the Rogers Centre and that's only a part-time NFL stadium

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

There were fundamental differences and why it got to the point of where it did seemed to be completely do to ego.

You make due with what you have. Playing in an NFL stadium isn't the worst thing in the world for a college program. The Gophers draw very well too. I'm sure there wouldn't have many issues with filling a 75,000 either at or close to capacity.

There's very little I can actually find on the matter as far as articles, but the ones I do have paint a pretty ugly picture of two different mindsets of what the stadium should be like and a complete unwillingness to reach some sort of middle ground. You can't tell me that some sort of compromise could not have been worked out. What is so terrible about having to share a stadium? Who lost out were the Vikings and perhaps even more so the citizens of Minnesota who eventually going to left with the choice of paying for two stadiums or losing their NFL team.

I still the majority of the blame on the Vikings for their lack of a stadium, but in the case of the TCF Bank Stadium situation I think you can disperse equal blame to the Vikings, the Gophers and the Minnesota government for not making them share the stadium a sticking point for the bill. The Vikings and Gophers should be sharing this stadium for intensive purposes. It takes that much more of a burden off the taxpayers who are footing the bill for this. They're the ones that wind up getting screwed in the end, because two sides couldn't come to a reasonable agreement when one could have been worked out.

Archived