Carrier Classic Aircraft Carrier Game logo

deliver2david

Wow this is really cool!

I love the idea of making temporary stadiums to put them in unique places. For example, if the Winter Classic ever comes to DC, I think it'd be cool (and probably unrealistic) to make a makeshift hockey stadium on the National Mall.

I think the bigger problem would not be building something on the Mall (though the bureaucratic headaches associated with that wouldn't be fun), but guaranteeing that the weather would be cold enough to have a decent ice surface for the game.

Wow this is really cool!

I love the idea of making temporary stadiums to put them in unique places. For example, if the Winter Classic ever comes to DC, I think it'd be cool (and probably unrealistic) to make a makeshift hockey stadium on the National Mall.

I think the bigger problem would not be building something on the Mall (though the bureaucratic headaches associated with that wouldn't be fun), but guaranteeing that the weather would be cold enough to have a decent ice surface for the game.

Yeah that's true. In DC in January it could be anywhere from 10 degrees to 60. Supposedly we're getting one in the next few years anyways, most likely at Nats Park I would assume. And hey it was like 50 degrees at the WC in Pittsburgh this year, so its doable, even in warmer weather.

90758391980.gif

The idea of playing a game on a carrier sounds fun, but my gut tells me this could wind up to be a fiasco like that college football game they tried playing at Wrigley last year.

6uXNWAo.png

The idea of playing a game on a carrier sounds fun, but my gut tells me this could wind up to be a fiasco like that college football game they tried playing at Wrigley last year.

The Wrigley Field had enough "field" I think Allstate didn't want to pony up on the insurance claim. This is easier to do because plays going out of bounds are less likely and they can accomodate the out of bounds areas as well.

Not that I've ever been on a carrier, but does it ever sway/rock (even a little bit) with the waves? If so, I could see that being an issue with gameplay. Plus, they'd also have to factor in temperature and wind. Too cold or too much wind could make for a very unpleasant game for the players.

6uXNWAo.png

Thats why it is November in San Diego while docked. For the most part I would guess it's not gonna sway enough to affect anything and the teams would practice once or twice before to get used to it. If the weather is too bad, they'll just play under deck which tells you how massive this thing is.

As long as it's played directly in between low and high tide there will be no issue. Heck the Globetrotters already did this and had no issues so I think the only problem will be finding enough space for teh amount of cameras we use now

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I was on the Midway (retired carrier) in San Diego Bay a few years back, its a pretty awesome museum. I don't remeber any rocking or swaying, the bay was very calm and protected.

My Naval Reserve unit was assigned to the carrier Kitty Hawk and we spent two weeks aboard in San Diego. All that time was at the dock since they'd just returned from a WestPac cruise. It was rock solid every minute, like being in a building. The berths are in the harbor so there's not enough swell to affect such a large ship. It's so big they literally have "You are here" signage posted in the corridors.

The museum carrier is at right, North Island carrier berths are at left. Note anti-terrorist booms surrounding the carriers to keep small boats from approaching.

carriers-of-san-diego.jpg

Which reminds me...in 1989 I was with my cousin, who worked for a yacht manufacturer, on one of their boats. A Navy Tarawa-class amphib assault ship was moored in SF bay and we headed over for a closer look. Within a minute a Zodiac full of guys with machine guns headed out from the ship and their message was clear: move away and do it now. We did. :D

BTW, you could hold a basketball game on the hangar deck, much less the flight deck. I've got pics somewhere, if I can find them I'll post.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

They should deliver the game ball during pregame with an attack helicopter landing on center court.

"Mission Accomplished"

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived