Report: Flyers to host 2012 Winter Classic

nash61

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's talk about the real story here. John Torterella and Chris Pronger on HBO 24/7.

Good point.

As well as Sean Avery and Dan Carcillo.

Besides the "Philly has already been in it" and "Give the Western Conference another team/game" arguments, I guess I've got nothing against this one. I understand the NHL/NBC's reasons behind it and whatever. I don't necessarily like the circumstance, but it should be another good Classic and another good 24/7.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why not Yankee Stadium?

Pinstripe Bowl is at Yankee Stadium every January 1st.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Why not Yankee Stadium?

Yeah, why throw away all that tradition and history just for a hockey game.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Has it been confirmed that they'll be doing "24/7" again?

To my knowledge there has been no confirmation of this yet, but I can't imagine HBO would pass on it. By all accounts, the show was a huge success for both the network and the league.

And this isn't just because I'm a Rangers fan, but I think they'd be a great team to have on the show. Torts holding nothing back, Sean Avery providing a million great soundbites, Gaborik slumping horribly, Lundqvist bailing them out time after time after time, and Dan Girardi accumulating dozens of horrific bruises would all make for great television.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Why not Yankee Stadium?

Yeah, why throw away all that tradition and history just for a hockey game.

Agreed, BTW. The Pinstripe Bowl is a joke. It drew 38k people, but that was in the inaugural year and it featured "local" "favorite" Syracuse (I use both quoted terms loosely). New York City just doesn't really care about college football. Select bars get filled on Saturdays because they serve as home bases for college alumni clubs, but that's about it.

That said, I'd much prefer to see the Classic played in football stadiums instead of ballparks. I think the rink just looks better on a rectangle, and the sightlines and camera angles have to be worlds better. Heinz looked much better to me than Fenway and Wrigley, regardless of the novelty value.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Has it been confirmed that they'll be doing "24/7" again?

To my knowledge there has been no confirmation of this yet, but I can't imagine HBO would pass on it. By all accounts, the show was a huge success for both the network and the league.

And this isn't just because I'm a Rangers fan, but I think they'd be a great team to have on the show. Torts holding nothing back, Sean Avery providing a million great soundbites, Gaborik slumping horribly, Lundqvist bailing them out time after time after time, and Dan Girardi accumulating dozens of horrific bruises would all make for great television.

Agreed. At least 5 people I know told me that show got them into hockey. That, plus it was just a cool show and I've long said that hockey players are the nicest/funniest athletes in major team sports. Showing the behind the scenes went a long way to setting up the Winter Classic, introducing the players to casual fans and non-fans alike, and providing a backstory so people got a broader perspective when they turned on the game on January 1st. It showed Ovechkin and Crosby as egoless superstars that are just part of the team. I don't think you'd find that in other sports.

I think the Rangers and Flyers would be two very interesting teams to watch in that show.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived