International Fútbol Tournaments and World Cup Qualification

AnythingChicago

How in the hell did Colombia earn a draw against Argentina? This stupid cup is going to have a really obscure final. Something like Chile vs. Colombia.

Colombia shouldve won too! They missed an open net around the 30th minute, and also should've had a penalty and an Argentine player sent off for a last man back foul in the box.

Oh, wow. I didn't tune in until the second half, so I didn't see that. I saw a lot of Colombian opportunities go by the wayside, but I didn't see that.

I hate to use a sports cliché, but Messi is kind of the LeBron of soccer. He doesn't show up when it counts. He does great in club (which is like the regular season or quarters 1-3 for LeBron), but then doesn't show up in the blue and white of Argentina (kind of like LeBron in the playoffs.)

Highlights here

WTF! Once I got through that Powerade commercial, it had a still-shot of the game, so I hit play. It brought me right back to the commercial again! It's like a never ending matrix of hockey playing Powerade drinkers, with false hope of soccer highlights! :cursing:

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How in the hell did Colombia earn a draw against Argentina? This stupid cup is going to have a really obscure final. Something like Chile vs. Colombia.

Colombia shouldve won too! They missed an open net around the 30th minute, and also should've had a penalty and an Argentine player sent off for a last man back foul in the box.

Oh, wow. I didn't tune in until the second half, so I didn't see that. I saw a lot of Colombian opportunities go by the wayside, but I didn't see that.

I hate to use a sports cliché, but Messi is kind of the LeBron of soccer. He doesn't show up when it counts. He does great in club (which is like the regular season or quarters 1-3 for LeBron), but then doesn't show up in the blue and white of Argentina (kind of like LeBron in the playoffs.)

Highlights here

WTF! Once I got through that Powerade commercial, it had a still-shot of the game, so I hit play. It brought me right back to the commercial again! It's like a never ending matrix of hockey playing Powerade drinkers, with false hope of soccer highlights! :cursing:

Hmmm maybe it's because you're in the USA. Perhaps it's only available in Canada. Sorry for getting your hopes up :(

1zqy8ok.gif

Highlights here

Hmmm maybe it's because you're in the USA. Perhaps it's only available in Canada. Sorry for getting your hopes up :(

Yeah, probably. Oh, well. I'll live. Now I'm kinda thirsty for Powerade... :grin:

25yzwqg.png

Tonight's Copa América match-up: Bolivia vs. Costa Rica. Bolivia should run all over Costa Rica, considering Costa Rica is basically playing with their U23 team (which makes the invitees in these tournaments crippled to the point where you would have been better off having no invitees at all).

25yzwqg.png

We have a ton of football threads going right now, so I am just going to pop this in here.

FIFA exploring playing 2022 World Cup matches over three thirty minute halves, to lessen the blow of the heat towards the players

Anyone else want this in the United States?

More proof FIFA is being run by incompetent boobs that start drooling all over themselves at the sight of a guy with money, be it a sheik from Qatar or a mob boss from Russia.

Tonight's Copa América match-up: Bolivia vs. Costa Rica. Bolivia should run all over Costa Rica, considering Costa Rica is basically playing with their U23 team (which makes the invitees in these tournaments crippled to the point where you would have been better off having no invitees at all).

Well its 2-0 Costa Rica right now...

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Well its 2-0 Costa Rica right now...

If that's getting run all over I'd love to see what Costa Rica kicking someone's ass would look like.

We have a ton of football threads going right now, so I am just going to pop this in here.

FIFA exploring playing 2022 World Cup matches over three thirty minute halves, to lessen the blow of the heat towards the players

The Car Talk fan in me approves this!

Only if they can get the officials assigned by the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.

LvZYtbZ.png

FIFA exploring playing 2022 World Cup matches over three thirty minute halves to lessen the blow of the heat towards the players

More proof FIFA is being run by incompetent boobs that start drooling all over themselves at the sight of a guy with money, be it a sheik from Qatar or a mob boss from Russia.

That is going in my sig once I get off this stupid iPhone. But, if Qatar's claims aren't false, the cooling systems in that stadium are supposed to be so revolutionary that the three halves thing won't be necessary. And, hey, they've played matches in Qatar before, and they play two halves (at least for all I know) so what makes this any different?

Oh, and sorry about that Bolivia-blowing-out-Costa Rica comment. I just figured that if Bolivia could draw Argentina in Argentina, then they could beat a severely shortened Costa Rica team. But I was wrong (by a lot). Man, that makes Argentina look REALLY bad.

25yzwqg.png

Argentina always looks bad in the beginning, but then they squeak in to the Quarters, and of course fizzle out. I was expecting different, being in front of their home crowd.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

There are a few things to watch today in both the Copa América and the CONCACAF 2014 World Cup qualifications (firt round).

Uruguay will play Chile, in what should be the most exciting match of the tournament so far. Then Peru will take on Mexico in what should be another exciting match. I like both matches to end in 1-1 draws (although my predictions have been shaky lately ^_^ )

As for the World Cup qualifications, Anguilla will take on the Dominican Republic and Aruba will take on Saint Lucia (like anyone cares). Just for kicks, I'll predict that Anguilla will pull off the 2-1 victory (because the Dominican Republic is really more of a baseball country) and I'll say Aruba beats Saint Lucia 4-1. Why not?

25yzwqg.png

FIFA exploring playing 2022 World Cup matches over three thirty minute halves to lessen the blow of the heat towards the players

That is going in my sig once I get off this stupid iPhone. But, if Qatar's claims aren't false, the cooling systems in that stadium are supposed to be so revolutionary that the three halves thing won't be necessary. And, hey, they've played matches in Qatar before, and they play two halves (at least for all I know) so what makes this any different?

Oh, and sorry about that Bolivia-blowing-out-Costa Rica comment. I just figured that if Bolivia could draw Argentina in Argentina, then they could beat a severely shortened Costa Rica team. But I was wrong (by a lot). Man, that makes Argentina look REALLY bad.

Problem is so far Qatar has yet to demonstrate they'll be able to invent these new revolutionary cooling systems. I'll grant you they have nearly a decade to do so. But when your whole tournament is dependent on a technology that may or may not exist you have to ask, why take the chance? Particularly in a country that's so small FIFA has to violate it's own rules about one stadium, one city, to shoehorn the event into the country into a bunch of stadiums that don't exist yet and will have no use afterward except to be nebulously "donated" to other countries.

And yes they've played matches in Qatar before but always in fall, winter, spring. They don't play high level matches in Qatar in the heat of the summer for the very reason you don't give them the world cup. I mean hell you want proof they were buying this thing, the CONCACAF delegate Jack Warner is now all but confirmed to have voted for them. The fix was in and the end result is going to be a debacle that we'll have to live with for 11 years with a big thud (and sizzle) in the summer of 2022.

I need to stop predicting things. Dominican Republic defeats Anguilla 2-0. I am sticking with my Aruba-Saint Lucia prediction, however.

And bosrs1: Yeah, I meant to word it in my previous post that Qatar needs to put their money (and engineers) where their mouths are with that cooling system tall tale. And that's a good point about them not playing many high level matches in the full force of summer. FIFA should set a deadline, and if Qatar can not prove that they have cooling systems revolutionary enough to cool players who are sprinting up and down the pitch for an hour without breaks by this predesignated deadline, than the 2022 Cup should be given to the USA. We've already built the stadiums, and they're bigger than Qatar's proposed spaceships, or whatever those ridiculous (yet awesome) things that hold the fields are.

25yzwqg.png

Well, I was right for once. Chile and Uruguay draw 1-1. It was an exciting match, though not quite as exciting as Chile-Mexico.

Now can I go 2 for 2? Doubt it. :)

EDIT: Arrrgh, I was barely off with my Aruba-Saint Lucia prediction. I predicted Aruba to win 4-1, but they only won 4-2.

25yzwqg.png

Paraguay ties Brazil in an absolute thrill ride. What an up and down match. Brazil was up 1-0, then Paraguay scores two unanswered goals, then Brazil ties it up with just a few minutes to spare. Also, Venezuela defeats Ecuador 1-0. Good win for them.

In FIFA World Cup qualifying, the Bahamas pressed the easy button against Turks and Caicos Islands, advancing to the second round 10-0 on aggregate.

25yzwqg.png

Colombia's win over Bolivia today not only sealed first place up for Colombia in Group A - but it also clinched spots in the quarterfinals for Venezuela, Peru, and Chile, all sitting on four points, as now Group A's third place team can have no more than three points.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived