Every MLB cap logo since 1950

kevinmets

Thanks so much for all the interest/help everyone. A couple things - I know 1950 is arbitrary, but like I stated before, it gets dicey/difficult when you go back too much further. Tough to find consistency, clean/accurate logos, and photos. I didn't want this project to consume my life. If anyone's REALLY interested/willing to go back further, PM me and I'll send you the PSD file.

As I stated before, I limited this to caps worn by PLAYERS, hence the omission of the A's manager caps. I guess that's kind of arbitrary too, if the overwhelming majority want me to include it, then I will.

If someone can find me a clean version of the old Boston cap/any of the Brooklyn variations, or even just a good quality picture of a forward-facing cap, I should be able to include it. I'm not going to try to draw it, I'm not that skilled.

I should be able to add the .45s, Padres, Senators, Browns, and Brewers changes with little/no problems. Photos would be appreciated (if you didn't already) so I can get a better idea. I'm fairly busy the next few days but I WILL get around to making these changes.

Thanks again everyone! Let me know if you catch anything else!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be the only one to remember this, but the yankees had an alternate cap in the early 90s that was white, with a navy NY and brim. I don't remember if it was a spring training only...i'll see if i can find a pic.

HERE IT IS!

5222488093_d8bcb413a4_o.png

New York Mets & New York Jets

This is a great list but I have a few additions.

Orioles - the cartoon bird on orange didn't have a white outline on it when it was worn. The reproduction cap they sell does but that is incorrect.

Cardinals - There's another version of the cardinal on bat logo where the cardinals beak was red and the eye yellow. They only wore it for the first year then changed it to the current. I know because I finally found one on Ebay for $40

Also if we're really getting technical:

Padres - During the white S Orand D days the blue changed so there are technically 2 of those.

Royals - same as above the royal blue changed

Indians - Same as above when the indain head shrunk the blue changed and got a silver outline, then later a white outline so technically there are 3 different indians head logos.

Otherwise awesome list, hope this helps.

White hat, early '90s? Must've been another entry in Buck Showalter's obsession with coaches' hats.

I don't believe it was a coaches only cap because the first time i saw it was when it was on Mariano Rivera.

New York Mets & New York Jets

Well Doc was only on the Yanks in '96 - ''97 & again in '00. So it narrows it down a little.

And that's definitely not 2000. Also, that means it wasn't under Buck Showalter.

(I'm also trying to figure out who that coach in the background is.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

This would be much better if it was limited to in-game caps. There's too many BP designs to keep up with, and they make teams who have had relatively stable designs look strange because they have a lot of entries here but in reality only 2 or 3 which actually were worn in a game. BPs are marketing creations and not worthy of an otherwise great resource. Just my opinion.

Also, I'm not sure about those '76 pillbox caps - is there actual photos showing them being worn (besides the Pirates)? I know they were used on occasion (maybe all star game?) but I've never seen a pic of a Phillies game where the team was wearing them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My god, I've never seen that before... and I thought I've seen everything from that era!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This would be much better if it was limited to in-game caps. There's too many BP designs to keep up with, and they make teams who have had relatively stable designs look strange because they have a lot of entries here but in reality only 2 or 3 which actually were worn in a game. BPs are marketing creations and not worthy of an otherwise great resource. Just my opinion.

Also, I'm not sure about those '76 pillbox caps - is there actual photos showing them being worn (besides the Pirates)? I know they were used on occasion (maybe all star game?) but I've never seen a pic of a Phillies game where the team was wearing them.

The Phillies and Mets wore them once. The Reds and Cardinals wore them as a road cap for the season

Archived