Giving the Big Ten the Attention She Deserves.

drdougfresh

Thanks for all the C&C guys. I'm not planning on putting the M on the pants, because it's already on the socks and the uni. There's such thing as too much branding. That would do it.

Okay, time for many of yours' most-despised team. THE Ohio State University. Nothing too fancy, got rid of the white shoulder stripes and replaced it with an actual school color, and ditto to the numbers. The all-white away is a big change up, but I think it works with this scheme. I suppose you can call the helmet logo a "big" change as well ^_^

OSU.png

Northwestern gets a cleaner look with some more variety. Northwestern stripes, as they should be, and there's not much else to say about it. To the nay-sayers of the black on NW's uni's: I'm not changing it. It's sharp.

NW-1.png

Wisky and Minnesota should be up tomorrow some time.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not totally opposed to the Buckeyes... but white shirt with gray pants is too good of a look to change, in my opinion. Glad to see you kept a consistent stripe pattern with the shirts, pants, and helmets on both Ohio State and Northwestern.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Alright, last two Lakes teams now. Minnesota is currently trapped in the land of classic colors with bad modern designs. Basically, I wanted to clean up their look, take it in the right direction, and keep it simple. This is what I got:

Minnesota.png

Wisconsin and Nebraska are nearly identical, so I had to switch up Wisky. Went with some unique shoulder striping and an interchangeable uniform for the Badgers. If you think these are just a little "blah", wait until you see their rivalry uniforms.

Wisconsin.png

"The Game" rivalry set is up next!

These are some really creative designs. I don't like the block O on helmets but that's $y personal opinion. If it were possible I'd totally use that Wisconsin stripe for Ohio Western on EA's teambuilder. Its a great reimagining of that classic element.

Ohio State: I'm really liking the consistent striping. Looks good. The only change I would make would be getting rid of the O on the helmet. The plain helmet with the buckeye stickers is one of the best helmets in college football IMO.

Northwestern: I like your take on the Northwestern stripes, and I love the number and NOB font you used...is that the Pats font?

Minnesota: The striping is all right. One change I would make would be to use a standard block font and a serifed font (like the old school Dallas Cowboys) for the wordmark and NOB. Their current wordmark uses that type of font, and I think it looks a lot better than standard block.

Wisconsin: I could see adidas doing this.

I don't know how many Big Ten fans are on here, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this-- the new look for the conference is weak, amateurish, and not very powerful. But really, it's not the design that bothers me the most. If there's one thing that the Big Ten has going for it, it's the name-- and the schools that have given it such a prominent name. Ignoring the schools in favor of a 'trendy' logo was the wrong step to take. The negative space 11 on the old logo was awesome. So, I took matters into my own hands. How do you mention that the Big Ten has 12 teams without calling it the Big Twelve? Here's what I came up with:

NebraskaUPDATE.png

And then after they came up with the lame logo, we got divisions. And those divisions (horrible power balance aside) were named the most HORRIBLE names ever. Legends & Leaders? What is this, a summer camp? How about paying attention to the distinct landscape of the schools in the conference? The Midwest. Lakes & Plains. Gee, that took me all of what? Here's the division logos:

LakesDIVUPDATE.png

PlainsDIVUPDATE.png

As well as patches shown in both dark and light presentation:

Patches.png

LIVE LINKS TO CONCEPTS

Lakes:

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin.

Plains:

Iowa, Penn State, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana.

And with that, I decided also to give the Big Ten a refresh. New uniforms for every school, to announce the coming of a new and improved conference (also, Nebraska and Wisconsin have nearly identical unis). Along with those two new outfits, each school is getting a rivalry game alternate. Those alternates are only worn once that year in the selected rivalry game. Those games are:

Michigan vs. Ohio State

Michigan State vs. Penn State

Nebraska vs. Iowa

Northwestern vs. Illinois

Purdue vs. Indiana

Wisconsin vs. Minnesota

So, sit back and enjoy the show. Plains schools first, then Lakes. Then, rivalry series. C&C welcome, especially when it's got to do with the original post. :P

I've been staring at this for quite some time, I think displaying this in a Gradient is a bit odd, although something I noticed is that I think this 12 at the end is bit of place and I think doing away with the stroke would make it look better. I'd also consider spacing the "E" and "N/2" to that it lines up with the space youve placed below.

Ohio State: I'm really liking the consistent striping. Looks good. The only change I would make would be getting rid of the O on the helmet. The plain helmet with the buckeye stickers is one of the best helmets in college football IMO.

Northwestern: I like your take on the Northwestern stripes, and I love the number and NOB font you used...is that the Pats font?

Minnesota: The striping is all right. One change I would make would be to use a standard block font and a serifed font (like the old school Dallas Cowboys) for the wordmark and NOB. Their current wordmark uses that type of font, and I think it looks a lot better than standard block.

Wisconsin: I could see adidas doing this.

OSU: You'll really like the rivalry unis, then.

NW: You got it, Pats font. And honestly, I picked it initially because Dan Persa is the perfect fit for a team like the Pats... no joke. But he's probably one of my favorite non-Spartans in the NCAA.

Minnesota: Wanted to keep the numbers like the actual logo, blocks on all the ends. Makes it more unified, IMO.

Thanks for all the C&C guys. I think I'll have the rivalries up this afternoon/evening for "The Game".

That Wisconsin design is HOT, buddy. I'd have never thought of that...but considering the way the stripes appear on their uniforms now, that's a very innovative way to design them, as well as add a bit of a modern twist. Furthermore, the angle of the jersey stripes on the front almost evokes the image of a letter "W"--nice unintended hidden element.

Also, that Northwestern one is nice as well. As far as I'm concerned, Northwestern owns purple and black in college football...personally not feeling the white helmet option for that reason, but overall, your set did them justice.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like your ohio concept a lot. The helmet seems weird, but I think just because it is a variation from what I'm used to. It could work for sure. The NW and MN concepts are amazing. I like what you did with Wisconsin in getting them away from Nebraska, but there's something about the stripes that doesn't jive with me. I guess it doesn't fit the image I have for Wisconsin. Like the red helmets a lot, though.

Again, the one thing across the board for me is a lack of a pants logo. With the Nike schools moreso than the Adidas, because of the partial stripe template. On ohio's, for example, a block O on the pants opposite the Nike logo would solidify the set as an ohio uniform. Especially absent the "O" on the collar.

spikes.jpg

I think the Ohio State uniforms would look much better if they used the actual gray like they used in the pro combat uniforms, as opposed to the more 'dirty white' shade of grey they have drifted toward as of late. Nice design.

The Michigan State uniforms are pretty good, but I have always felt that their identity lends itself to a much more interesting design. Sort of like they tried to do with the Mateen Cleaves era hoops jerseys, though those weren't executed the best. I actually had a concept started a long time ago, that I just haven't gotten around to finishing.

As a Michigan fan, I feel the road uniforms are kind of unsuccessful, but not simply because they aren't exactly what they currently wear. ^_^ I think it is due to the lack of maize. There is just too much blue and white. I think when you have a color completely unique to you, it should be more prominently displayed than it is in your current roads.

Very nice job on the series overall, though some striping patterns got a little repetitive.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Alright, rivalry series time. First up, Michigan and Ohio State. Probably the biggest rivalry in the conference, just because of its constant national implications. For Michigan, I wanted the entire thing to be Maize and Blue, to showcase the school's major color scheme. Also, those with keen eyes may notice that 'Hail to the Victors' is written down the left pant stripe area. I think it gives it a nice touch with a nod to the fight song. For OSU, it was a little bit tougher. Initially, I just made a gray alt with black pants, but then I remembered: the helmet stickers. Buckeye leaf helmet stickers are always loaded on the helmets, why not use them to add accent to the uniform? The result: what I decided to call Buckeye camo.

TheGame.png

Rivalry set #2 features two of the more recognizable mascots in the conference-- and mascots that are fairly unique. Both wear sweaters, so I decided to throw those sweaters on the players. The helmet logos feature the mascots that have been around since the '40's in one way, shape, or form. I think it's a nice way to show off the school colors, and have some fun with it too.

PaulBunyansAxe.png

Land Grant Trophy and Land of Lincoln Trophy are up next.

Since you are from the state of Michigan, I'm assuming you posted that Maize helmet for Michigan as joke... right?

If not, well, it just does not fit with the university's athletic identity of tradition and stability. Sorry, just doesn't work. At all.

They're called 'concepts' for a reason. Not proposals. Yes, it's different, but so is a yellow jersey. As stated previously, tradition doesn't get a free pass-- this is an exploratory project. Would the Big Ten ever have a rivalry series like this? Probably not.

In short, no. It's not a joke.

Wow, these look great. It's almost like a Pro Combat thing. It would be very unique to see those Michigan uniforms on the field. I've always thought of a Michigan helmet like that.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Archived