Giving the Big Ten the Attention She Deserves.

drdougfresh

I really like Iowa, as I'm not crazy about the gold pants either, and Penn State looks really good too. The Sabres' old font is really good for football jerseys and I've even used that font in some of my concepts too. I'm curious though, Illinois' font, it looks familiar, but I just can't remember it right now.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Illini are pretty good. The only difference I would have is carrying the same stripe pattern from the shoulders to the pants. On the shoulders, you have a thick stripe flanked by a think stripe on each side. The pants just have a single thick stripe.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Not a fan of Illinois' either. It seems very random and forced instead of somwthing organic to Illinois. I would contend that the traditional part of Illinois' look is their wordmark on their helmets, whether it be the curved Illini or the current wordmark.

Yeah I'll do that. I have my black at 97% right now, but I'll fool around with it. Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, the lines and stuff that's the dark black should be RGB 0/0/0 (you can achieve it with CMYK 45/45/45/100 or thereabouts) and your black fabric should be about RGB 30/30/30 or maybe 35, 35, 35 if you want to be able to discern the details a little bit better (you can probably use anything between CMYK 0/0/0/93 and 0/0/0/100 to achieve a color like this).

Just to add another lil' wrinkle...I do my stuff a different way. Most of the time I'll still use a straight (spot) black for black jerseys/pants/shorts or whatever, sometimes I'll scale it back by like 5 percent..but I color all my mesh holes & seam lines white & set the difference blending mode, and set it at 50% (or, a little darker or lighter depending on the uniform colors I'm using). That way I don't have to worry about resetting the seam/mesh details every time I do something different--its already done for me, so with lighter colors they'll show up darker, w/ darker colors they'll show up lighter...but still there regardless. :P

That's just my way though...everyone has their own methods that works for them.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I actually don't mind that Illinois set but agree that the striping on the pants should be consistent. These are all very well done but that mesh thing is really distracting and dragging the presentation down a bit IMO. Seems like a couple of posters have given some advice in that regard and I would rework what you have taking that advice. It will make these concepts look that much better.

Looking forward to Nebraska, please don't add black.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I like the unique look for Illinois, but I feel people would nickname it 'the backpack template' in much the same way the previous Oregon State uniform was nicknames 'the sports bra template.' Seems like it would be natural that it would fit with a helmet like this:

ILXXUI7176d.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really like Iowa, as I'm not crazy about the gold pants either, and Penn State looks really good too. The Sabres' old font is really good for football jerseys and I've even used that font in some of my concepts too. I'm curious though, Illinois' font, it looks familiar, but I just can't remember it right now.

Illinois' font may look more familiar if you go grab your copy of Madden. ^_^

Re: Florida. I actually had a blue jersey initially, and changed it to orange to make it less Florida-ish. I think it's mostly colors.

And I would never add black to Nebraska's standard uni's.

Alright, updated the mesh pattern on Iowa (looks much better, thanks for the mention guys). Illinois got a slightly more complex striping pattern so the stripes could carry down to the pants better, and I cut them shorter to avoid the "backpack jersey" moniker-- that was clever.

Now, Nebraska. They have what I would consider to be one of the more preserved jerseys in the NCAA. By preserved, I mean that they haven't changed much, and they wont change much--and I wasn't going to get too radical here. That being said, they can come off as a bit dry at times, so I added some extra striping to unify the uniform more. The helmet logo now matches what's on the field, and there's an alternate red helmet. The uniform options open up the possibility of a red out or white out as well. Here they are:

LogoEditUPDATE.png

Purdue is next.

Logo: The Big 1(2)0 logo is a big improvement. I think all you need to do is clean it up a little, some small tweeks and it will work nicely.

Nebraska: I really like the addition of the red helmet. I know people will complain about it, but I like it. You would never expect it out of Nebraska football. As for the rest of the uniform... too many stripes. You got 1 stripe on the helmet, 3 stripes on the sleeve, 2 stripes on the pants, 3 stripes back on the socks. I don't see any uniformity to the uniform.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I am going to be a parrot on what Estone said

New Big Ten logo is great, love it.

Nebraska: The extra striping doesn't unify anything, it looks schizophrenic. 1 stripe on the helmet, 3 on the jersey, 2 on the pants and 3 on the sock. Unify that and you have a good look. A couple other things, add a block N on the pants opposite side of the adidas logo and make the belt in the white pants red. Nebraska pulled off that look great in the 80's ala Rozier and Gill.

ZMLZZJFSCVQFIRM.20091017162529.jpg

The only other thing is you are missing the Nebraska patch on the chest.

Love the red helmet option.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Since this is a concept, you're pretty much free to do what you want, but I would echo Impaler about the jersey patch, as it's almost sacred to NU fans.

Nebraska Jersey Patch = Yankee Pinstripes, you just can't not have it.

Surprisingly, I like the three stripe look, especially since we're an Adidas school. It kinda reflects the Adidas logo itself. Throw on some BYU-style 3 stripe pants and I think you might have a winner. Ditch the stripes on the socks, and go with BLACK shoes. For some reason, NU always rocks the black shoes.

See below, upper-left (player's left) shoulder area.

Alex-Henery-90-Red-Jersey.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Logo: The Big 1(2)0 logo is a big improvement. I think all you need to do is clean it up a little, some small tweeks and it will work nicely.

Nebraska: I really like the addition of the red helmet. I know people will complain about it, but I like it. You would never expect it out of Nebraska football. As for the rest of the uniform... too many stripes. You got 1 stripe on the helmet, 3 stripes on the sleeve, 2 stripes on the pants, 3 stripes back on the socks. I don't see any uniformity to the uniform.

I think the the two stripes on the pants match the jersey. Technically the stripes on the home jersey would read WRWRW which is what the pants read as well. However I agree about the helmet, it should have the same striping as the pants do.

As GDLions mentioned, the stripes are unified with the jersey in the WRWRW/RWRWR pattern. It's hard to see, but it's there. I'll make my updates tonight with the patches and black shoes. I'm still feeling the sock stripes, so I'm keeping them B)

I always like a conference makeover project. As for critiques-

Conference logo: Much better than first draft but get rid of the gradients. Also a minor nitpick but the kerning of the letters looks off to me; having the letters so close to one another really magnifies the difference in distances between the letters.

Iowa: I like the striping pattern but I don't like how you swapped the colors of the striping on the home and away sets. Two sets of black pants is a negative for me. I'd say pick one of the striping patterns (either yellow/black/yellow/black/yellow or black/yellow/black/yellow/black) and apply it to both the white and black jersey and the white and black socks. For the pants I'd suggest adding a white pair and using a black/yellow/black striping to mirror the helmet striping (on the black set of pants it will just look like a yellow stripe). Minor nitpick, like Andrew has mentioned, is just for presentation's sake adjust the shade of black so the jersey stitching is visible.

Penn State: I'd darken the shade of navy. I might be wrong but their current uniforms seem darker than your rendering and I just like that look better. I don't really think the sleeve stripe adds much to the overall aesthetic of the uniforms to be honest. I'm not a fan of the number font or white shoes/white socks combo either but I think if you added more navy to the shoes I'd like them more; they just look like a little girl's Sketchers all white like that. Also on the blue pants the belt should be blue.

Illinois: My favorite of the bunch. A little odd how the shoulder striping just stops but it still looks ok. The blue helmet seems a bit unnecessary; orange helmet, white jersey, and blue pants would be a nice look in its own right. I would also use the navy accented cleats with both uniforms and eliminate the orange accented cleats, and also change the belt on the blue pants to blue.

Nebraska: This isn't really your fault but for some reason every concept I see on Andrew's techfit template look the same to me. Contrast collars just look bad to me on this template. Not to say the look wouldn't work, it's just this template isn't very flattering for this design (no offense to you or Andrew). Besides that I think the three stripe theme works well and I like the updated block "N" on the helmet. Like I said for Illinois I think the second helmet is unnecessary and kind of dilutes the brand. Also, once again I'd change the belt on the red pants to red. I think a colored belt can look good on white pants, but on colored pants anything but a matching-colored belt looks tacky.

Looking forward to the rest of your concepts.

I'd darken the shade of navy. I might be wrong but their current uniforms seem darker than your rendering and I just like that look better.

It's actually their PMS color, I wanted to keep everything as real as possible. Thanks for the C&C, very helpful stuff. I'll experiment with the Iowa white pants, but I'm not entirely keen on the monochrome uni format haha.

Since this is a concept, you're pretty much free to do what you want, but I would echo Impaler about the jersey patch, as it's almost sacred to NU fans.

Nebraska Jersey Patch = Yankee Pinstripes, you just can't not have it.

Surprisingly, I like the three stripe look, especially since we're an Adidas school. It kinda reflects the Adidas logo itself. Throw on some BYU-style 3 stripe pants and I think you might have a winner. Ditch the stripes on the socks, and go with BLACK shoes. For some reason, NU always rocks the black shoes.

See below, upper-left (player's left) shoulder area.

Alex-Henery-90-Red-Jersey.jpg

Ah you youngins. Something worn on a jersey since 1989 (22 years) does NOT equal Yankee pinstripes worn for 99 years. The patch can be ditched as it's just excess clutter on the jersey and is not a design element.

Archived