2011 Women's world cup

BigMac12

All right, ESPN. I get that the game-tying goal against Brazil was amazing. Truly it was a great play... But methinks you're really starting to stretch it too far for its own worth at this point.

(And yeah, I know it's ESPN, and that alone will generate some "psshhhh whatever, you listen to ESPN? pshhhh" around here. But they're still the preeminent sports reporting outlet in the world and they should be held up to some standard. Again go ahead and laugh. Actually the ombudsman section of the ESPN Website is one of the most interesting part of the site.)

First you put it into a Top 10 of the most dramatic moments ever just hours after it happened. Then you backdoor it into the ESPYs (again, I know. ESPYs. Whatever) Top Play voting, passing up your own system to put it into the final vote, then it somehow wins the Top Play vote, and there's already an acceptance video from the US Women. Now they just made it #1 on the Top 10 plays of 2011 so far.

It's amazing, but you're starting to make a real ass of yourself over it.

(I know. Ha. ESPN. Ha.)

The only reason that it is getting as much play from ESPN is because the game was on ESPN. Put that tournament, or even that game, on FOX Soccer Channel and it's not even close to being as covered as much.

(I will give ESPN credit for something last night, though, and that was for actually recognizing hockey. But that is for another thread.)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right, ESPN. I get that the game-tying goal against Brazil was amazing. Truly it was a great play... But methinks you're really starting to stretch it too far for its own worth at this point.

(And yeah, I know it's ESPN, and that alone will generate some "psshhhh whatever, you listen to ESPN? pshhhh" around here. But they're still the preeminent sports reporting outlet in the world and they should be held up to some standard. Again go ahead and laugh. Actually the ombudsman section of the ESPN Website is one of the most interesting part of the site.)

First you put it into a Top 10 of the most dramatic moments ever just hours after it happened. Then you backdoor it into the ESPYs (again, I know. ESPYs. Whatever) Top Play voting, passing up your own system to put it into the final vote, then it somehow wins the Top Play vote, and there's already an acceptance video from the US Women. Now they just made it #1 on the Top 10 plays of 2011 so far.

It's amazing, but you're starting to make a real ass of yourself over it.

(I know. Ha. ESPN. Ha.)

The only reason that it is getting as much play from ESPN is because the game was on ESPN. Put that tournament, or even that game, on FOX Soccer Channel and it's not even close to being as covered as much.

(I will give ESPN credit for something last night, though, and that was for actually recognizing hockey. But that is for another thread.)

It was that the tournament is on ESPN live, but the majority of this tournament is during a phase of North American sport in which not much else is on. Everything (plus some) which could work in their favor did:

*-The NFL and NBA lockouts resulted in no news on rookie signings and training camp opening on the NFL or NBA summer league and free agency not only nationally on ESPN, but more so on local sports broadcasts.

*-FIFA happened to have the knockout round based around MLB All-Star weekend.

*-The PGA Tour was at the John Deere Classic, not a choice PGA event

*-The Women's US Open (Golf) was set back a week as they did not go at their typical July 4th weekend status and that tournament was beset by rain and not many Americans on the leaderboard.

*-NASCAR ran on Saturday night thus the Brasil game was virtually unopposed live and brought in 3.3M viewers. A number which was still less than Univision's ratings for Copa America.

Bottom line is that their legacy will be equal to or lesser than the 1999 team. WUSA failed, the WPS is an east coast league only with even less TV exposure.

Now going into Sunday, I will await to hear all the "cultural stereotypical" codewords for a Japanese/Asian team: scrappy, intelligent/smart, orderly, (not "lunchpail", that is a American trademark).

^actually pretty much everyone has said that Japan is the opposite of that, possess the ball, control the midfield, very technical (by the way, you kind of contradicted yourself by saying they're "scrappy" and "organized," not sure how that works). I mean it's not like I've ever seen Japan play much but that's just what they're describing them as.

And I think ESPN is also making it a big deal because it's the USA, and we have a chance at being the best at something, which Americans love. Just look at how many people have tapped into the WC just because America is doing so well and we can be on top of the world again. Just think if the USMNT did something remotely close to this...

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

^actually pretty much everyone has said that Japan is the opposite of that, possess the ball, control the midfield, very technical (by the way, you kind of contradicted yourself by saying they're "scrappy" and "organized," not sure how that works). I mean it's not like I've ever seen Japan play much but that's just what they're describing them as.

And I think ESPN is also making it a big deal because it's the USA, and we have a chance at being the best at something, which Americans love. Just look at how many people have tapped into the WC just because America is doing so well and we can be on top of the world again. Just think if the USMNT did something remotely close to this...

Since the USA is the bigger, taller team, those traditional USA sports stereotypes have less meaning since it is the Japanese team. They may be considered 'scrappy' due to their lack of size compared to the USA team; 'organized' because they are an Asian team. Edit: Bob Ley classified Team Japan as 'fluid and artistic'.

North Korea is a Communist Country, so any thing they do is not a surprise, and they would be a threat if they were not so comically inept.

Yes, Mr. Tank, I know that. I aced that test last week, remember. :rolleyes:

Either way, they're still hilarious.

25yzwqg.png

Really, North Korea? It's getting to the point where we need some sort of image to post that says "Really, North Korea" with a funny picture.

Musk deer gland medicine? What?

North Korea is a Communist Country, so any thing they do is not a surprise, and they would be a threat if they were not so comically inept.

Guys, deer musk or deer antler extract (iGF-1) is banned by the NFL and current Raiders head coach Hue Jackson was told by the NFL to disassociate himself with a company which produces such a product. The recent ruling which awarded Rams LB David Vobora $5M is from that company (The Ultimate Spray). RB Heath Evans has gone on the record stating that he has used the product.

However, the product is not yet banned at the NCAA level as Missouri players have used the product since 2008 and some Auburn players used it last season. The effects of the deer gland or extract is only traceable through blood tests and currently the NCAA only tests urine samples.

It's on to Extra Time in Frankfurt. (Speaking of which... I wish they brought back the Golden Goal rule. It would make Extra Time much more meaningful)

Now, wouldn't it be ironic if the U.S. wins this game in PK's like they did in '99?

It's on to Extra Time in Frankfurt. (Speaking of which... I wish they brought back the Golden Goal rule. It would make Extra Time much more meaningful)

Actually the reason why they got rid of Golden Goal is because it made extra time extremely boring. Both teams sat back, knowing one mistake could mean their done. At least with this version of Extra Time, teams have the chance to remedy a mistake (see USA-Brazil from last weekend)

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived