2011 Women's world cup

BigMac12

Great games today.

I have to watch because my soccer nut sister can't watch the games in Indiana, but I'm enjoying it. Germany being knocked out is huge for every team left, but they still can't relax. If the USA doesn't win, than there will be a new champion.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not feeling confident about the United states' chances against Brazil. If they couldn't defeat Sweden, and have been demolished by Brazil the last time both teams faced off in the World Cup, then I doubt that it's going to change now. Brazil 2, United States 1.

OK, watching this Brazil-U.S. match, I don't have much of a horse in this race. If anything, I'm rooting against the U.S. a little given how dominant they've been against Canada. But those two calls against the U.S. ? the red card and the retaking of the penalty kick ? were total B.S.

The red card: Buehler may have denied Marta a scoring chance, but she got a piece of the ball in the tackle, and it was only Marta's wild jump that made it look as bad as it did. A red card was really harsh there.

But I'm even angrier about the retaking of the penalty. There was no reason for it. Solo wasn't off her line at all. There may have been a tiny bit of encroachment at the top of the box, but nothing that should have warranted retaking the penalty. They even played a few seconds after the save was made. If you're going to call for it to be retaken, it should be done right away. It's just infuriating to watch.

But I'm even angrier about the retaking of the penalty. There was no reason for it. Solo wasn't off her line at all. There may have been a tiny bit of encroachment at the top of the box, but nothing that should have warranted retaking the penalty. They even played a few seconds after the save was made. If you're going to call for it to be retaken, it should be done right away. It's just infuriating to watch.

Yeah, what did the refs expect from Solo? To stand there like she was frozen in carbonite or something?

CCSLC signature.png

And Brazil, despite the referee's clear bias in favor of the United States, has advanced to the semifinals, and we'll have a new champion!

This is why Soccer Sucks it is the world's easiest sport to cheat in, and if the refs favor you its a sure win.

poca.jpg

I seriously was about to leave but decided to stick around and watch till the end. Awesome.

And Brazil, despite the referee's clear bias in favor of the United States, has advanced to the semifinals, and we'll have a new champion!

FAIL.

Indeed!

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The USA wins in PK's! The US wins! Take that, ya Brazil loving refs.

Oh, and a weird coincidence was brought up... It has been 12 years since Brandy Chastain's World Cup winning PK. Today, history repeats itself.

Archived