best color combos in sports

16kid

You know what?

9122285-large.jpg

100% agree, even though they bastardize it with their jerseys (in a kind of fun way haha) i think the color combo is perfect and actually wish the Anaheim Ducks would switch to something more along these lines.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought that green and yellow look great together(A's, Packers, Sonics etc.). Those teams really tend to stand out in the sea of red/blue that is used so much in sports. Green/orange is also pretty sharp(UM Hurricanes the most notable I can think of).

Personally, my totally biased favorite combos have always been the Dolphins aqua/orange and the Marlins teal/black/silver. The aqua/teal is a great color for South Florida, it ties in with the color of the ocean down here where those teams' namesakes live.

Is there a serious distinction between athletic gold and maize, or are Michigan fans just sanctimonious and annoying? It could always be both, I suppose.

This is just my own observational evidence, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say that maize is actually a unique shade that has less of an orange hue than athletic gold.

So to answer your question... both! :D

You knew it was coming, Buc...yeah, the Saints' original Black, Old Gold, and White. That shade of gold just really makes a nice complement to the black and white on both sets, but especially these.

t874519-500.jpg

One of NFL Films' Lost Treasures series shows the Saints coming out of the tunnel for their first preseason game ever (@ L.A. Rams in '67) and they're in these unis. They just look amazing.

I'm sorry, but even for the 1960s, those are really bland. Nothing wrong, nothing good. I wouldn't call them amazing.

I always liked that look. Perhaps it's the picture that BlueSky used, but I don't remember the Saints ever having that bright/yellow of a gold in their original uniforms.

The photographer may have used fill flash, which could make the colors look brighter. Here are a few more from back then, screenshots from the show I mentioned before (colors are muted compared to daytime) and another pub shot of Kilmer that shows the colors more accurately. Also a couple of the white set.

And thanks, Oldschoolvikings, couldn't agree more! B)

Fears_1967.jpg

Saints_1967.jpg

1969_Saints_Kilmer.jpg

Auto120.jpg

Atkins_1967.jpg

Abramowicz_1969.jpg

Actually, now that I see that the gold is darker, those are pretty good. I'm going to get some hate for this, but the socks ruin it for me. I'm not saying it's a bad look, but it looks just like most of the other uniforms of that era. Plus I like their current look.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

You know what?

9122285-large.jpg

100% agree, even though they bastardize it with their jerseys (in a kind of fun way haha) i think the color combo is perfect and actually wish the Anaheim Ducks would switch to something more along these lines.

Though i'm not a huge fan of their normal unis (which are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be) I loved what they did for the national championship game. That yellow was pretty eye-catching and looked pretty nice IMO. The helmets were amazing as well

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

You know what?

9122285-large.jpg

That would be, ummm, interesting... yeah gonna have to go with a NO on this one.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

You knew it was coming, Buc...yeah, the Saints' original Black, Old Gold, and White. That shade of gold just really makes a nice complement to the black and white on both sets, but especially these.

t874519-500.jpg

One of NFL Films' Lost Treasures series shows the Saints coming out of the tunnel for their first preseason game ever (@ L.A. Rams in '67) and they're in these unis. They just look amazing.

I'm sorry, but even for the 1960s, those are really bland. Nothing wrong, nothing good. I wouldn't call them amazing.

I always liked that look. Perhaps it's the picture that BlueSky used, but I don't remember the Saints ever having that bright/yellow of a gold in their original uniforms.

The photographer may have used fill flash, which could make the colors look brighter. Here are a few more from back then, screenshots from the show I mentioned before (colors are muted compared to daytime) and another pub shot of Kilmer that shows the colors more accurately. Also a couple of the white set.

And thanks, Oldschoolvikings, couldn't agree more! B)

Fears_1967.jpg

Saints_1967.jpg

1969_Saints_Kilmer.jpg

Auto120.jpg

Atkins_1967.jpg

Abramowicz_1969.jpg

You know, with those original home uniforms, they would've looked pretty bad-ass with black helmets. Now, the gold helmets aren't bad, and they go well with their current uniforms, but the prototypes they wore for that one game definitely make them look sharper.

My favorites off the top of my head:

DeOui.gif

Say what you want about blue/blue/yellow schemes, I think the Grizzlies absolutely nailed it.

e5RBm.gif

That touch of green absolutely makes the colors pop, I've loved the "metallic" vibe of the colors since day one.

wxqTo.gif

I say phooey to those who think that teal is outdated and "90's." The Sharks make it work no matter what logo or jersey they use and much like the Seahawks green, the yellow only makes the color scheme that much more awesome.

brown and red (i think only about 2 teams on earth use this... brown university and fc st pauli, but it's by far my favorite color scheme)

brown and wheat

green (kelly or forest) and gold (athletic or metallic)

columbia blue and silver

I like powder/sky/Columbia/Carolina blue with just about any "earthtone"...

Dark Green

d3093d16-94e2-4816-94a5-4046f1aeaa05.jpg

Burgundy/Maroon

mike-schmidt-2009-7-30-17-49-6.jpg

And the criminally underutilized Brown & Powder Blue

TUF_Arsenault.jpg?max_height=325&max_width=175

Tufts is the only team or school I can think of who uses this combo, yet they can't ever seem to figure out how to make it work. All they really need to do is be a brown version of Tulane.

Brown & Gold

1376885_display_image.jpg?1299601502

This was the best picture of Western Michigan that I could find in their correct colors. I really hate how they've almost completely phased out brown, they ruined one of the best looks in college football.

2009+Wyoming+Cowboy+Captains+%28Left+to+right%29+Darius+Terry,+John+Fletcher,+Russ+Arnold,+Weston+Johnson_WTM1470a%5B1%5D.jpg

Anyone making poop and pee comments is too juvenile to appreciate what a beautiful combination this is, especially with gold pants. If Wyoming brought in some brown shells they'd be perfect (and, IIRC, the only FBS team using brown shells).

I always thought Purple and Teal could be a bad-ass combination.

96Nordsjersey.png

Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets come to mind immediately...good call :grin:

Except for the fact that those were intended to be Navy and Teal, not Purple.

(Bad lighting.)

e5RBm.gif

That touch of green absolutely makes the colors pop, I've loved the "metallic" vibe of the colors since day one.

I totally agree, this has always been one of my favorite combos. That green has to be one of my favorite colors. It also looks really nice on their uniforms.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Navy [blue] and Orange

Which would explain why I like the Denver Broncos, Auburn Tigers, and Detroit Tigers, but ironically not the Chicago Bears; not because they are a rival to the Detroit Lions.. but they just don't appeal to me. Maybe it's the uniforms or design of their uniforms.

Archived