If you were in charge of the United States Soccer Federation, who would you hire as a manager to replace Bob Bradley?

Jahgee

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is kind of off-topic, but I've never understood why teams can hire foreign managers for their national football/soccer teams. If the entire team is supposed to be representing America, shouldn't the manager be American too?

This is kind of off-topic, but I've never understood why teams can hire foreign managers for their national football/soccer teams. If the entire team is supposed to be representing America, shouldn't the manager be American too?

The players have to be qualified, but I can't think of a single sport that has a rule that coaches of a national team have to be a national of that country.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Doesn't change my opinion that I think they should be.

If that was the case, a lot of teams would miss out on top coaching talents and a lot of coaches would miss out on the opportunity to be a national head coach. There are more head coaches in Europe than there are countries in Europe.

If you understand the game better than anyone else, that's all you need, especially when you consider the lack of quality American coaches who have a severe lack of understanding in the game. Besides, Klinsmann is already considered an American-defector by most of Germany when he refused to move back to Germany from Southern California when he had the head Germany job back in '06.

Well plenty of people feel the same as you, I am sure. But it's increasingly hard to find quality coaches with requisite experience. Even England would struggle to find more than 2 or 3 candidates if they wanted to appoint an Englishman to succeed Capello (as in fact they are likely to do).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well plenty of people feel the same as you, I am sure. But it's increasingly hard to find quality coaches with requisite experience. Even England would struggle to find more than 2 or 3 candidates if they wanted to appoint an Englishman to succeed Capello (as in fact they are likely to do).

Then where are all of these coaches hiding

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

If that was the case, a lot of teams would miss out on top coaching talents and a lot of coaches would miss out on the opportunity to be a national head coach. There are more head coaches in Europe than there are countries in Europe.

And there is a lot more talent from players in Europe than there are spots for them to play. Doesn't mean they can go play for some other country. I've always thought that the coach should have to follow the same rules as players for eligibility.

I think Klinsmann will improve the quality of the team a little, but I don't think the coaching change will make too much of a difference. The US still isn't a top level international team. But hopefully the improvement will be more than I expect it to be.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And there is a lot more talent from players in Europe than there are spots for them to play. Doesn't mean they can go play for some other country. I've always thought that the coach should have to follow the same rules as players for eligibility.

I think Klinsmann will improve the quality of the team a little, but I don't think the coaching change will make too much of a difference. The US still isn't a top level international team. But hopefully the improvement will be more than I expect it to be.

You nailed it. Simple matter is that the roster is not that talented when compared to the major powers. Now, even with total control, Klinsmann also has to deal with the fact that the MLS is establishing their own academy to compete with the USSF, so talent is further scattered. For the USA, it is greater than having Giuseppe Rossi wearing our colors but a system which needs to be established and that is something which may not have impact until 2018.

Again, I'd like to mention Matt Millen since he is a fan favorite. Also, he has a great track record. The best accomplishment on his resume would have to be the whole Detroit Lions situation.

Elaboration negates the humor of the initial remark.

Classic case of going too far...

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived