College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

In the Tampa Tribune today, Skip Holtz was quoted as saying the players would vote each game for what uniform would be used to at first glance it appears there is no designated home or away combo.

As for the changes, I think the white helmet is now unnecessary with the introduction of the green. I too would like to see gold pants added to the set. As for the change in the gold hue of the helmet, I'm undecided. Yes, it now matches and that should be the ultimate goal. However, the old gold was unique (shared only with Colorado I believe. They changed for this season too.) and something that set USF apart from all the other gold helmet teams.

It was almost impossible to replicate in merchandise though. I have a Schutt mini helmet that is just about the only thing I've ever seen that accurately captured the color.

That's a novel idea; let a bunch of meat heads decide what uniforms to wear. BRILLIANT!

I'm sure the equipment manager doesn't show up to the team meeting to give opinions about what plays should be called. So I don't think the players should have any say in the uniforms that they should wear. Thats just me. Leave it to the experts...or at least to the people who know a little bit more about what the hell they are doing.

Leave it to the experts? What experts? The people who know what they are doing? Um... it's clothing, and some of it is poorly designed. I just don't see the problem with allowing the players to decide. More than likely it'll be the captains deciding and they'll probably decide by Wednesday or something, so it's not like it's 5 minutes before the game.

so just because its "clothing" anyone can decide what to wear??? Hey, I won't disagree with you that there are some pretty bad designs out there but it doesn't mean that I would let the inmates start running the penitentiary when it comes to uniform design. Having graduated from a major college many years ago, I can tell you that the LAST person that I would consult for fashion advice is a college student. Especially one that considers a backwards dirty hat, three day old ripped sweat shirt and basketball shorts to be appropriate to wear around campus. Not to mention the fact that most of these universities make a ton of money off of apparel. Why the hell would you leave that in the hands of the athletes?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think sometimes people forget that sports isn't just for those of us sitting in the stands or watching on tv. It's for those on the field, and if they want to wear an ugly uniform then so be it. Yet I find powersurge's comments to be amusing based on the fact that those in the know having given us brilliant looking uniforms such as the Chicago White Sox and their shorts, the Houston Astros rainbow uniforms, the Denver Broncos vertically striped clown socks, all these minor league promotional uniforms, the Houston Rockets pj uniforms, the Toronto Raptors hideous uniforms from day one, the Sacramento Kings half purple half black uniforms, and we could go on and on about how the people who "know" about uniforms have given us the worst excuses for uniforms that the players had absolutely only two choices, to wear them or to not play at all. Go look at all the ugly uniform mistakes throughout sports history and then come back and tell me how much worse it'd be if we let these people with "knowledge" of uniforms choose what a team wears. If the kids on the field like what they are wearing because they get to choose what they are wearing and it makes them feel good and they play well in them, then let them choose. I've played sports and I've coached and honestly, anything you can do to make the game more fun and get out of the grind is a good thing, even if it's letting players choose the uniform. If you forget that sports is suppose to be fun for the athlete, then you've forgotten the core of why we play sports and why we watch sports is to have fun.

The fact that they are playing does not automatically make their opinions on the matter infallible.

half the game is looking the part

And most things that young people these days (myself excluded, of course) would deem ZOMG SO KOOL do not look good.

Letting the players choose which uniform to wear is hardly comparable to inmates running a penitentiary. Also, how does their fashion choice at school make them incapable of choosing a game uniform? They're not designing the uniform, they're choosing which one of the uniforms they will wear for that game

Let's put the Penn State vs. TCU argument to bed.

9 vs. 49

I think Nike knows where the love is.

Why isn't Ohio State on this list? Because I don't believe there's any chance they'd be out of the top 10, let alone the top 75

That's the first thing that I thought as well. Maybe we had to give back our merchandising sales like we did our sugar bowl winnings lol jk

You don't show up at your job that has a dress code or uniform and get to dictate said dress code or uniform. Somebody in marketing does that. More alternates, more colors=more merch. Collegiate team apparel has become a fashion label. Like a shirt? I'll give you 5 color choices. The stuff on the field is probably laid out by Nike/adidas/UA reps and the players choose elements ala garanimals. It's ridiculous and the football equivalent of "poochie the dog".

9 vs. 49

Why isn't Ohio State on this list? Because I don't believe there's any chance they'd be out of the top 10, let alone the top 75

That's the first thing that I thought as well. Maybe we had to give back our merchandising sales like we did our sugar bowl winnings lol jk

OSU doesn't license their gear through CLC. Not sure who they use...but they've have to be Top 10/15 for sure.

Any one else worried that red close up might actually be the helmet here: http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ugaprocombat.jpg

Ugh... I guess my fears were justified. Im sure if the Dawgs lose to Boise these will be permanently shelved like VPI did with the orange and black abortions they wore against the Broncs last year at FedEx.

Eh, they were only meant for one game only anyways. I wish TCU, WVU, Miami, etc... hadn't worn them more than once but Nike gave them to the schools and said they could do with them what they pleased.

9 vs. 49

Funny. Wrong (in regards to the logic). But funny.

All that list shows is who has the most alums. Nike can put a PSU logo on all of its off the rack stuff and the huge alum base will buy it regardless, but TCU, Boise and the other hot programs I mentioned are moving merch in categories of stuff that don't have the schools logos on them. That is why they are in the elite tier of Nike schools and PSU isn't. TCU will never outsell PSU for any extended period of time, but that isn't the determinant of who is hot and who is an elite program in Nike's eyes.

9 vs. 49

All that list shows is who has the most alums. Nike can put a PSU logo on all of its off the rack stuff and the huge alum base will buy it regardless, but TCU, Boise and the other hot programs I mentioned are moving merch in categories of stuff that don't have the schools logos on them. That is why they are in the elite tier of Nike schools and PSU isn't. TCU will never outsell PSU for any extended period of time, but that isn't the determinant of who is hot and who is an elite program in Nike's eyes.

Nike sells gear. Plan and simple. If you think being 49th in that is more elite than 9th...we'll agree to disagree.

9 vs. 49

Nike sells gear. Plan and simple. If you think being 49th in that is more elite than 9th...we'll agree to disagree.

For about the 5th time, it isn't about what I think. It isn't about what you and other PSU fans think. It is about what Nike thinks. That's what I said. I have never given my own opinion on the subject.

XJEEQLWGASUXBSJ.20110821024856.jpg

JLNXWFHSYABETDB.20110821030419.jpg

New USF Bulls update:

- Gold helmet still there, but in a better shade closer to what the university uses.

- Updated white helmet has more gold on it.

- New Green helmet

- New unis

Upgrade! I really like this look for them. Although I am wondering where the Gold pants are located. Even without them, this set looks great especially with the addition of the green helmet.

spacer.png

The fact that they are playing does not automatically make their opinions on the matter infallible.

half the game is looking the part

Funny, I always thought that things like blocking, tackling, and running were more important.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived