Quad City Mallards Update Identity

GFB

Mallards1.png

The Quad City Mallards of the ?AA? Central Hockey League today introduced a revamped set of team logos and also announced that new Mallards merchandise featuring the updated logos as well as single game tickets for the Mallards? 2011-12 season- including the Flock?s October 22 opener against Rapid City- will go on sale next Monday, September 26, at 10:22 a.m.

Fans stopping by the i wireless Center box office to purchase their seats for the 2011-12 campaign will also have the first opportunity to check out the Flock?s new line of merchandise at the Mallards Pro Shop located off the i wireless Center lobby. In addition, Mallards coach and general manager David Bell will be on hand when ticket sales commence to meet fans who have made the trip to the i wireless Center to get their seats and Mallards gear.

?The countdown to our October 22 home opener is certainly going to move into high gear next Monday, so we thought it was fitting that we should kick off sales of both individual game tickets and of our new merchandise at 10:22 a.m.,? said Mallards vice president of sales Brad Hoffman. ?We are very excited about the approach of opening night and we know that excitement is shared by Mallards fans. That excitement will only increase next Monday when our fans have their first chance to get hold of not only single game seats but also the brand new inventory in our pro shop- and perhaps greet coach Bell while they?re there!?

The Mallards' new logo scheme puts an updated spin on the club?s already strong imagery. While the team?s primary logo will remain the familiar mallard soaring through a circle on which ?Quad City Mallards? is inscribed, the color palette for that logo- and all of the Mallards? marks- has been altered, with the elimination of ?neon? colors and with a greater emphasis placed on darker Mallard green, distinctive flash orange, black, pewter and white elements.

The Mallard head remains the team?s secondary logo in a slightly altered, stronger version that no longer includes a triangular background.

The Mallards have introduced a new tertiary logo modeled on the club?s perennially popular mascot, Mo. The logo features Mo?s familiar face at the center of the ring sporting the team?s name. The new ?Mo-centric? logo will no doubt prove especially popular with younger fans and perhaps with a segment of fans who remember a previous duck with attitude.

Full article can be read here: http://myqcmallards.com/newsandinfo/index.html?article_id=572

The full gallery can be viewed at my website: http://studio1344.com/2011/09/quad-city-mallards/

Upgrade or downgrade? Thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll miss the neon green, but the light blue never seemed to quite fit in. This color scheme is much more duck-like, and I like the update you did to Plucky. Eagerly awaiting the new uniforms.

Still wish your original vision for that double-green alternate had come to pass, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like it a lot. The only minor quibble I have is that the logo (the primary you posted anyway) is pretty nonspecific in terms of what sport its representing. If it wasn't for the description (and the other logos on your site), I wouldn't have known the Mallards was a hockey team.

I'll miss the neon green, but the light blue never seemed to quite fit in. This color scheme is much more duck-like, and I like the update you did to Plucky. Eagerly awaiting the new uniforms.

Still wish your original vision for that double-green alternate had come to pass, though.

It was really strange... Back when I did the original set a few years ago, I was asked by the old ownership to use really bright and wild colors, and they suggested using purple, yellow-gold, and green. (Eww!) When I returned with my initial concept, it was kelly green, dark/forest green, and orange. It was then they wanted to go with the neon green and add the teal/blue into the color scheme as well. Then, after all of that was announced and unveiled, they decided to replace the dark green with black. It's a shame really, because I had some very cool ideas I was hoping to put in place, such as pearlescent green helmets (to mimic the green heads real mallards have) and that dark green/light green jersey.

Well, since then, I was told that the black has really taken off with the fans, so the logos were designed around creating a simplified and classic look from both a color and design standpoint. Many of the unnecessary colors and design elements have been simplified and streamlined.

I have some other logos in my possession that were being considered by the new ownership as replacements of my original logos before they hired me to redesign them... and wow, they're bad.

BTW, you mind posting a pic of the jersey you bought? I don't remember ever seeing how they turned out (quality-wise).

These are all really, really nice... but I'm not going to lie, I miss the bright green. Still, fantastic work. I definitely like the head-on mallard head; so many of those look cheesy, but yours is fantastic.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I thought the original color palette was really cool, but perhaps too involved for applications beyond looking at it and saying "cool logo." Now that it's simpler and more striking, it could be more versatile. Here's to this representing hockey in the Quad Cities for years to come.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm really glad they kept that logo. It really is the best they've had. Had that black jersey been double-green, I'd have had it for years now, as I'd promised in the original thread here. As it is, I scooped one up at a deep discount as they made way for the new stuff. The full-duck-only black jersey was switched to the home last year and the lime green with the triangle/head logo was shelved. Also, the full duck/circle logo replaced the triangle/head logo on the white jersey.

I think the changes they made were a step in the right direction, and I expect going to a more normal green will likely help, but I will miss the lime and teal as accents. The simplicity of the black jersey could have been transferred to a white version and still looked pretty good and stayed unique. I'm hoping the darker green holds up okay against the black.

Still, I'm curious to see how the jerseys turn out, since the updated logo looks great. Again, nice job GFB. I'm glad the new owners had the sense to go back to you. I saw that article the other day and when I saw the recolored logo and you referenced I breathed a sigh of relief. I really feared they might go retroish like they had in the version before the Flames arrived in the QC. And this is from someone who lived there when the Mallards debuted and has a lot of nostalgic love for the original logo and colors. But this logo is superior, and I hope the new colors and unis are too.

BTW, you mind posting a pic of the jersey you bought? I don't remember ever seeing how they turned out (quality-wise).

Here you go. I think the construction of this jersey shows why Athletic Knit is relegated to the lower tiers. The material is nothing special, and I don't understand why the jersey is sublimated when such a simple striping pattern is being used. Still, though: looks gooooood.

IMG_20110923_085308.jpg

IMG_20110923_085320.jpg

IMG_20110923_085436.jpg

IMG_20110923_085509.jpg

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here you go. I think the construction of this jersey shows why Athletic Knit is relegated to the lower tiers. The material is nothing special, and I don't understand why the jersey is sublimated when such a simple striping pattern is being used. Still, though: looks gooooood.

The pics in their online shop looked like even the logos were sublimated. Nice to see they're not.

This is an authentic jersey. It's my understanding that the replicas were fully-sublimated. And $120 at full retail!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those Sodboy.. If I recall correctly, they were selling authentics in the team store during the first year the Mallards returned (2009, I believe). Then, when the cheap ownership came in the next year... they removed them from the store, then tried to pawn off the replicas as authentics...

Speaking of uniforms, the Mallards debuted their home whites yesterday...

4e9f87d963611.image.jpg

302595_163773703716230_105385316221736_301671_1274077919_n.jpg

4e9f87d56ed41.image.jpg

To nitpick, I feel the mallard should be facing the right - going forward as opposed to going backwards.

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

To nitpick, I feel the mallard should be facing the right - going forward as opposed to going backwards.

See, I never followed that line of thinking. Do all animals only move in one direction? In fact, if the English language requires eye movement from the left to right, what would be the first thing you see looking left to right if the image was flipped? It's tail. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but I just never thought it was a big deal... :therock:

Archived