NFL unhappy with downtown L.A. plan

AHcreative

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think to properly gauge whether or not L.A. would be a viable market, the commish should play the "London" game in L.A. instead every year. L.A. had 2 teams, the Rams & Raiders, both left after 1994/95. The Chargers left there after the 1960 season. The Dodgers, due to lousy ownership, are in financial trouble. Seems California as a whole is in deep financial trouble. The NFL doesn't seem to be suffering one bit for not having had a team in Los Angeles for the past 16 or so seasons.

Would it even be plausible to grant L.A. an expansion team? Or even two, so that the league could be balanced?

I don't buy the whole "league needs to be balanced" argument in terms of expansion. I'll cite the Cleveland Browns on that issue. The only reason the Browns were brought back was because the city of Cleveland threatened the NFL with an anti-trust suit. It was impossible for the NFL to run a 31 team league until that suit came about. Then all of a sudden it became very doable, so while the NFL may not want to do it, I don't think for a second that they can't. Don't try to tell me that the scheduling formula is somehow set in stone and that if one division had five teams and every other had four, the NFL as we know it would cease to exist.

Two reasons I don't think the NFL doesen't give LA an expansion team. One I think they see more value in LA as a bargining chip then LA with a team. Two the whole thing with owners not wanting to have one team have control over a market of that size because I don't see the NFL giving LA two expansion teams.

When was the last NFL stadium built in the downtown portion of a city?

Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis was built in 2008.

In fact, since 2000, new urban core NFL stadiums have been opened in Cleveland (2000), Denver (2001), Pittsburgh (2001), Detroit (2002), Seattle (2002) and Indianapolis (2008). Chicago's Soldier Field rebuild/renovation (2003) should also be included in the mix.

Additionally, though a bit farther out from the downtown core than the aforementioned facilities, Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field (2003) isn't a suburban facility by any stretch of the imagination.

Would it even be plausible to grant L.A. an expansion team? Or even two, so that the league could be balanced?

No. The divisions are perfectly balanced now.

The NFL could live with 31 because they knew it was only

temporary.

Besides, it's not like there aren't teams in need of a new city. Relocation is sometimes the best option, when you have a combination of a market without a team and teams in bad markets. No need to expand.

P.S: I still cringe my teeth every time I see the Rams winning Super Bowl 34, because that should have been ours. F*** you Frontierre; hope you, Hitler, and Satan are dancing the waltz in hell.

Wow. So you're one of those fans, eh?

P.S: I still cringe my teeth every time I see the Rams winning Super Bowl 34, because that should have been ours. F*** you Frontierre; hope you, Hitler, and Satan are dancing the waltz in hell.

OMG he's comapring Frotnierre to Hitler!

I saw, I came, I left.

OMG he's comapring Frotnierre to Hitler!

You don't think Browns fans think that way about Art Modell? Wow.

I not only think, I expect the Chargers, Vikings, Rams, Raiders and all other bubble teams to get new stadium deals within the next 5 years...and to shame LA once again for the NFL's own pleasure.

Hi! Since you appear to have been living under a rock since 2007, let me tell you what has changed politically in this country! As a consequence of the largest economic crisis since the Great Depression and a general political movement against raising taxes for anything (or keeping them at their current levels) civic coffers are drained and scaring up public moneys for professional sports pleasure palaces has become quite difficult! So, if you're waiting for every bubble team to get a new stadium in their current market, you will be terribly disappointed!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He doesn't seem to realize that Frontiere was deliberately making the team bad so she could move either. Watch Major League dude.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NFL could live with 31 because they knew it was only temporary.

Exactly. Sure, the NFL could expand by a team or to and get along just fine with uneven divisions, but why should they have to? They don't want to, so they won't.

He doesn't seem to realize that Frontiere was deliberately making the team bad so she could move either. Watch Major League dude.

Oh, I don't doubt it. What's off-putting is wishing someone burns in Hell while comparing them to Hitler and the Devil because she took their toy football team away.

Besides, the Rams will be in LA again sooner or later. Then LA can (halfheartedly) claim the Super Bowl XXXIV win as their own.

Exactly. Sure, the NFL could expand by a team or to and get along just fine with uneven divisions, but why should they have to? They don't want to, so they won't.

Yeah. Additionally pretty much everybody hated having to spread out the bye weeks across the entire season. Especially if your bye was Week 1 or 2 or 15-17.

Today, we are all otaku.

Yeah. Additionally pretty much everybody hated having to spread out the bye weeks across the entire season. Especially if your bye was Week 1 or 2 or 15-17.

The way I look at it its one of those things that may not be preferable but its not impossible and there is a huge difference between the two.

Every single year the NFL makes their schedule seem like they got this thing sent directly from heaven and cannot be adjusted or questioned, but yet anytime there's been any issue with the schedule the NFL has always been able to handle it.

Its not really worth getting into too much because the NFL isn't going to expand anytime soon, but I really wonder how much of an issue this will really be when the NFL does eventually decide to expand, and my guess would be not that much or not nearly as much as people think it will be and its because its something that's not impossible to deal with.

It wouldn't be a big issue, but that's missing the point. The point is that it doesn't have to be an issue at all because the NFL doesn't want to do it. So they won't. Therefore there's no point in discussing expansion.

No point, indeed.

Why should the NFL even consider discussion, when they have several teams that practically need to relocate? You only expand if you have more worthwhile markets than teams, which sure as hell isn't the case right now.

I really wonder how much of an issue this will really be when the NFL does eventually decide to expand

"Eventually"? I respectfully disagree.

Perhaps when intercontinental travel reduces flight times between Seattle and London to somewhere on the order of 4 hours. And they figure out a way to fix the rotation of the Earth to render time differences moot.

The US is pretty well saturated. There are no viable, established markets without a team. Developing markets, as we have seen, make for lousy sports cities. Add that to the fact that several clubs are currently struggling in their home cities, and that's a recipe for relocation, not expansion.

Before London the NFL would expand to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Mexico city.

I really don't think there is anywhere to expand for quite some time though.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Before London the NFL would expand to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Mexico city.

I really don't think there is anywhere to expand for quite some time though.

Would they ever expand to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver? I thought there was some sort of gentleman's arrangement where the NFL wouldn't screw with CFL cities since the CFL is essentially a sort of AAA+ style minor league for the NFL.

I don't think it'll happen, but I could just see all those cities before London. Especially with NFL Europa.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I really wonder how much of an issue this will really be when the NFL does eventually decide to expand

"Eventually"? I respectfully disagree.

Perhaps when intercontinental travel reduces flight times between Seattle and London to somewhere on the order of 4 hours. And they figure out a way to fix the rotation of the Earth to render time differences moot.

The US is pretty well saturated. There are no viable, established markets without a team. Developing markets, as we have seen, make for lousy sports cities. Add that to the fact that several clubs are currently struggling in their home cities, and that's a recipe for relocation, not expansion.

I never even said the NFL was even considering expanding and even said that I don't think they will either soon either. In fact nothing you mentioned was anything I talked about or even made mention of, so I'm just wondering if its directed at me or just a statment in general.

Archived