Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

Excellent. I'm reallly glad they are fixing the Baltimore script. I think they could do little things to fix the bird head, such as adding a black outline on the lower beak. I hope they use placket piping. This was a great look.

Brooks3.jpg

Oh my, that's a beautiful uniform. I think that's the best Baltimore has ever looked. I'd love to see a return to those very socks as well.

How bout if they add a black alternate for the road with "Baltimore" on the chest and orange piping and a Orange alternate for home with black piping.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't the current Baltimore script have a huge upward tilt? I seem to remember that sticking out in my mind.

It does. That as well as the huge size difference between the 'B' at the beginning and the 'e' at the end leave a lot to be desired for the script. They really just need to go back to the style shown in the pic of Brooks Robinson on this thread, including the placket piping, which IMO looks gorgeous.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I realize that this isn't a terribly original idea, but I wish the Orioles would stop the cartoon bird/ornithologically-correct bird thing and just do something like this:

BaltimoreOrioles_PropCAP1a_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

...with an Orange bill I might add.

I realize that this isn't a terribly original idea, but I wish the Orioles would stop the cartoon bird/ornithologically-correct bird thing and just do something like this:

BaltimoreOrioles_PropCAP1a_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

...with an Orange bill I might add.

I don't think Orioles fans would take too kindly to their team taking the field with caps that have the letter "B" on them. I know that "B" is nothing like the Red Sawks', but it's a matter of principle. "B" on a cap = Red Sawks.

I realize that Boston's "B" could potentially be an issue, but we already have 2 teams with "NY", and multiple teams that use a "C".

Why not another "B" logo?

It sure would be better than the "O's" cap with the messed up apostrophe. If you count the Twins' alternate, you have two "M"'s as well.
Bill813.png

Actually, given that Orioles fans had long lamented the lack of geographic identifiers before the Baltimore script was brought back, I have a feeling they'd love to have a hat that explicitly refers to Baltimore. That hat would look better than any of the bird logos, which are either too detailed or too crappy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I realize that Boston's "B" could potentially be an issue, but we already have 2 teams with "NY", and multiple teams that use a "C".

Hated division rivals. The teams that share letters on caps (Pirates/Phillies, Mets/Yankees, Indians/Cubs/Rockies, Jays/Rangers, Angels/Braves, Diamondbacks/Tigers) aren't in each others' divisions.

I think that a cap logo that is some kind of Oriole is just too unique to ditch for a B, especially when a division rival already has baseball's most iconic B. Despite the identity crisis faced by O's caps over the years, there has pretty much always been (with the exception of a brief flirtation with a block B in the 60's) some kind oriole bird on the cap, and I think the idea unique to the Birds (I know the Blue Jays have consistently used a bird head, but you could never otherwise call the two logos similar). Losing it for a B (or an O) would be ditching something unique to the team for years for something too generic.

I think that's why a lot of fans don't seem to like the "O's" cap, although personally I love it... in moderation.

I love the cartoon bird, but I don't think it should be resurrected. It's like the BiG logo for Milwaukee, sure it's kinda cool, it represents a time when the club was winning, and it makes for good fashion caps (if there is such a thing), but I think it's too "70's" and should live on in the Hall of Great Throwback Logos. Let's be honest, we can't bring the Earl Weaver era with a cap logo, and fans will dig a new cap for a little while, but in the end we just want a winning team.

I wish the O's would just pick a logo and stick with it and let it become a classic. We've changed the logo so many times since OP@CY opened, it's playing havoc on my hat collection. I think the current bird with a few changes would be fine. Regardless, it looks like a new Twins 47 Franchise cap is in my future...

Grunge-Logos.png

Hated division rivals. The teams that share letters on caps (Pirates/Phillies, Mets/Yankees, Indians/Cubs/Rockies, Jays/Rangers, Angels/Braves, Diamondbacks/Tigers) aren't in each others' divisions.

Maybe not in the same division, but the Mets have always been business rivals of the Yankees. Every bit as fierce a rivalry as the Orioles have with the Red Sox.

Maybe not in the same division, but the Mets have always been business rivals of the Yankees. Every bit as fierce a rivalry as the Orioles have with the Red Sox.

It's also true that the Mets and Yankees both play in New York, and nobody is going to confuse an interlocking "NY" as a team belonging to any other city.

I know I'm playing Devil's advocate but "B" could stand for Baltimore as well as Boston, Buffalo, Birmingham, Burbank, or Bismarck, North Dakota. The Orioles are often referred to as "the birds" (both locally and around the league) so it makes sense that there's a bird on their cap.

I think that's why a lot of fans don't seem to like the "O's" cap,

That clip(/show) is awesome. However, she doesn't quite get the accent right...

Personally, that's one of the reasons I like the "O's" logo: because of the sound's prominence in the Maryland ("Balmer," really) accent. I love the way they make that vowel into two syllables somehow.

If we're going to start using "B" for "Birds" then why not just stick with an actual bird? Nothing says "Birds" like an actual bird. Like you mentioned, a B could stand for Boston, Baltimore, Bosnia, Bears, Beets, Battlestar Gallactia, etc. Stick with a logo that is unique and communicates "Birds" and "Orioles" at the same time and that continues a tradition of bird logos.

Full bird profile primary cap logo.

"O's" alternate cap logo.

Cartoon bird (on black, white, and/or orange) throwback.

Grunge-Logos.png

Nice of you to ignore Reds/Cubs

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

So what? The Yankees and Red Sox (arguably the biggest rivalry in MLB) road uniforms almost look like clones of each other.

Oh, and you also conveniently forgot the same-division Angels and A's.

I'm an O's fan and I would welcome a "B" cap. It looks too different from the BoSox cap to really be an issue.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Personally, that's one of the reasons I like the "O's" logo: because of the sound's prominence in the Maryland ("Balmer," really) accent. I love the way they make that vowel into two syllables somehow.

If we're going to start using "B" for "Birds" then why not just stick with an actual bird? Nothing says "Birds" like an actual bird. Like you mentioned, a B could stand for Boston, Baltimore, Bosnia, Bears, Beets, Battlestar Gallactia, etc. Stick with a logo that is unique and communicates "Birds" and "Orioles" at the same time and that continues a tradition of bird logos.

Full bird profile primary cap logo.

"O's" alternate cap logo.

Cartoon bird (on black, white, and/or orange) throwback.

The B logo would represent Baltimore, not "birds".

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived