Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Hey, WVU is always open to good recruits and we aren't far away from State College....

Anyways, I am going to dinner tonight with a girl I am very friendly with who recently just graduated PSU. She has taken a Paterno-like approach and ignored the whole thing. Even though, again, we are pretty close, she recently blocked me on twitter when I merely retweeted something about how Sandusky was going to jail and now more heads must roll. We are going to a sports restaurant where I imagine there were be televisions with SportsCenter and the likes on. Hopefully this doesn't get uncomfortable.

Think about it from her perspective. Anyone that has any real affiliation with the school (student, alum, employee, parent, etc.) is obviously going to be a little more sensitive to the "F Penn State!" hate that people are spewing. It's not that they aren't disgusted and feel for the victims and everything else, it's just that they're tired of seeing it all through their Twitter feed, Facebook, news, e-mails between friends, every web site, etc. Honestly, I don't have any affiliation, but I'd probably block everyone too if that's all I had to read. I'd follow the legitimate news updates, but I don't need to hear every wannabe judge and jury's opinion of how bad the school is, how bad everyone that goes there is, and how they would handle the punishments.

It gets old and honestly creates the opposite effect. Even if I'm a student there and I feel strongly that people need to go to jail, the statue needed to come down, and football be suspended, if all I read is every jackoff saying that I suck and that my school sucks, I'm going to develop a chip on my shoulder and feel like I'm in an "us against the world" type thing.

Think of it as like being a muslim. If you're a muslim, chances are you don't support Al Qaeda or anything that they did, and you're ashamed that some of "your people" would do such a thing, but if all you hear is how bad your race is and how islam sucks, you're going to get defensive and develop an attitude against people who's fundamental point you agree with (that the actions of Al Qaeda were wrong - not that everyone who goes to a mosque is evil.)

I agree with you, and I'm not blaming her at all. In fact I've grown to respect her more for not being one of the many idiots I know who are still continuously spewing garbage about how Freeh was out to get Joe Paterno and everybody just wants to see Penn State fall, etc.

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think it's just saying that despite everything that's happening, there's a lot of things about the school that you can still take pride in. Would you want to pay a big tuition check and walk around campus for 4 years just feeling like crap and that you're wasting money? The link that NJM posted is just one example of the good things that still go on there (which is really not much different than the good things that any major school has). In reality, this whole scandal really doesn't change anything significant when it comes to philanthropy, education, and research. It was about having terrible leaders who allowed their lust for football money and reputation get in the way of better judgement. Those leaders are gone, and the football program is essentially gone too, so that it can't have as much influence over things as it once did. At the end of the day, for your average engineering or nursing student, nothing has changed except you have a little extra time on Saturdays now.

Right. PSU is not an NFL team. Outside of football there ARE other things that go on everyday.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/11/28/penn-state-research-may-show-promising-cancer-cure/

That's not going to stop because a few administrators thought it'd be wise to keep the football factory on a pedestal, nor should it.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I would think it's just saying that despite everything that's happening, there's a lot of things about the school that you can still take pride in. Would you want to pay a big tuition check and walk around campus for 4 years just feeling like crap and that you're wasting money? The link that NJM posted is just one example of the good things that still go on there (which is really not much different than the good things that any major school has). In reality, this whole scandal really doesn't change anything significant when it comes to philanthropy, education, and research. It was about having terrible leaders who allowed their lust for football money and reputation get in the way of better judgement. Those leaders are gone, and the football program is essentially gone too, so that it can't have as much influence over things as it once did. At the end of the day, for your average engineering or nursing student, nothing has changed except you have a little extra time on Saturdays now.

I could not agree more. Just don't say that around some of the members here.

For what it's worth, the football program is near the bottom of the list of the things I take pride in as an arrogant and insufferable Ohio State alum.

BB52Big.jpg

You know Penn St. now the right time to fund your basketball program.

Kornheiser_Why.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You know Penn St. now the right time to fund your basketball program.

I know next to nothing about college sports, but what does this mean? Other than maybe throwing a million bucks at a high-profile coach, what can you really do here? How are they not "funded"? They have uniforms, a good arena, good training facilities, and last I heard, the players were still getting per diem.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As I was saying...

The eternal optimist in me wants to believe that there are still some good things to celebrate about Penn State and that's what "WE STILL ARE" is referring to. That feeling lasts about four seconds, reality sets in, and I realize that they're mostly idiots.

BB52Big.jpg

As I was saying...

The eternal optimist in me wants to believe that there are still some good things to celebrate about Penn State and that's what "WE STILL ARE" is referring to. That feeling lasts about four seconds, reality sets in, and I realize that they're mostly idiots.

Or it could be that the TV news crews seek out the dumbest yokels because they give the most entertaining soundbites.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As I was saying...

Or it could be that the TV news crews seek out the dumbest yokels because they give the most entertaining soundbites.

All you have to do is read the comments sections in the local PA papers or Facebook pages and realize how many of these idiots there really is.

Saying "look at the comments sections and facebook" is again kind of pointless since both are always overrun by simple-minded idiots for everything. I'm willing to assume there is still a silent majority that is upset about what Penn State did, and I'm probably right here.

Today, we are all otaku.

All you have to do is read the comments sections in the local PA papers or Facebook pages and realize how many of these idiots there really are.

^_^

That SI cover is pretty hardcore, also.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Saying "look at the comments sections and facebook" is again kind of pointless since both are always overrun by simple-minded idiots for everything. I'm willing to assume there is still a silent majority that is upset about what Penn State did, and I'm probably right here.

Yeah, go to any story on Yahoo, CNN, Fox, ESPN, YouTube, whatever. Not exactly flooded by Rhodes Scholars...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

As I was saying...

It was not my intent to come across like I was saying all Penn State people/fans/whatever are idiots, The "optimism" I was referring to was that I'd like to think that some of these "WE STILL ARE" folks clogging up the comments sections, Facebook, etc. are saying it because there still are some things to be proud of at Penn State. The "reality" I referred to was that they usually turn out to just be more of the "dumbest yokels." If you go back through the thread, you'll see that I am not part of the "anyone involved with Penn State at any level is a blind Paterno loyalist" crowd. I never jumped on the bloodlust train.

My opinion is that the vast majority of those involved with Penn State are every bit as mortified over what happened as the rest of us are.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived