San Diego Padres Unveiling

larrypep

It's not perfect, I'm sorry. Recolors rarely are; such is the nature of a recolor. The smooth, wavy, ocean-y script doesn't look good in brown/yellow at all. I like the color palette in and of itself, but not as a recolor of a navy/sand design clearly intended to evoke the ocean.

Other than sand and the little bit of light blue which appeared in the logo and as an outline on the underline for a few years, what is so ocean about the previous set? I mean, I don't see anything particularly "ocean" about navy. While the above brown set might not be the best thing they could possibly come up with, I think it is still light years better than the new stuff. Brown and yellow for them just feels right.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the primary, but the friar is such a stupid logo. Why do they keep using that?

Because it's clever, charming and unique. I wish my Brewers would bring back their mascot logo.

I prefer the modern version of the Swinging Friar, but even the 1960s model is better than every other bland corporate logo they've ever used. I'm so glad the Padres had enough sense to bring him back.

Other than sand and the little bit of light blue which appeared in the logo and as an outline on the underline for a few years, what is so ocean about the previous set?

The "Padres" script always seemed to evoke waves to me. Lots of gentle, swaying curves and such. The brown and yellow need a "sturdier" script, I feel, like some sort of serif type.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll be moving to San Diego for a 2 year MBA program. I'm going to have to sort-of adopt the Padres while I'm out there (Mets games will usually be over by the time the Pads take the field).

So that being said, I sort of like these. I still loved them with the orange outlines of the 90's, but this works for me.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I like the primary, but the friar is such a stupid logo. Why do they keep using that?

Because it's clever, charming and unique. I wish my Brewers would bring back their mascot logo.

I prefer the modern version of the Swinging Friar, but even the 1960s model is better than every other bland corporate logo they've ever used. I'm so glad the Padres had enough sense to bring him back.

Yeah and if it wasn't for the controversy the Padres would've never changed their logo after the 84 season.

Yeah and if it wasn't for the controversy the Padres would've never changed their logo after the 84 season.

What controversy?

And it was weird that the Brewers' ball-in-glove logo vanished from 1994-2006.

Tastes change. Both franchises had more whimsical logos, which they dropped for more earnest, if less interesting, replacements. I don't know that you can ascribe it to anything more than that.

I think this would've been better

padresblueorange.png

also did this

padrespinstriped.png

Oooh...I actually like both of those alot. The pinstriped one especially is a neat homage to the 90's primary. Though I'd much rather the Astros be THE blue and orange team, I always thought the Padres pulled off the color scheme really well when they had it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Got anything to back that up?

Well I don't know if it true or not but it was weird that the Swinging Friars just vanished from 85-95.

I've lived in San Diego all my life and I never heard this story. My understanding is they wanted to get rid of the "Taco Bell" uniforms (which I loved!) and get something more "traditional". They used the same firm that created the Giants identity at the time, which is a big reason their uniform designs looked somewhat similar. They may have dropped the Friar because they wanted to move away from the cartoon-style logo designs. I never heard a story about Joan Kroc thinking the Friar was "politically incorrect", at that time in 1984/85, this notion wasn't even on the nation's radar yet - in fact, the Indians changed their caps to include the Chief Wahoo head right around this time.

Got anything to back that up?

Well I don't know if it true or not but it was weird that the Swinging Friars just vanished from 85-95.

I've lived in San Diego all my life and I never heard this story. My understanding is they wanted to get rid of the "Taco Bell" uniforms (which I loved!) and get something more "traditional". They used the same firm that created the Giants identity at the time, which is a big reason their uniform designs looked somewhat similar. They may have dropped the Friar because they wanted to move away from the cartoon-style logo designs. I never heard a story about Joan Kroc thinking the Friar was "politically incorrect", at that time in 1984/85, this notion wasn't even on the nation's radar yet - in fact, the Indians changed their caps to include the Chief Wahoo head right around this time.

Oh I see what you mean thank for the heads up and they did a good job the 85-90 Padres set is my fave too bad the Padres didn't wear it back in 09 when they were celebrating their 40th season.

Blame it on the "retro-fad" on steroids where everything old is automatically good. The Swinging Friar, original or new, is honestly one of the most ridiculous, poorly rendered logos in all of sports. It boggles the mind how anyone with a sliver of design sense could think it looks good.

Archived