San Diego Padres Unveiling

larrypep

I also really like the pipe pattern on the shirts. I like that they are consistent throughout the entire uniform - unlike the Indians who have 4 jerseys and 3 different pipe styles. I believe that pipe style was first used by the Cardinals in the '50's wasn't it? I could be totally wrong, but I do remember seeing a Cardinals uniform from the Golden Era with that same pipe style. However, it can't be said enough... the loss of the sand color is a uniform tragedy.

I love the classic circle logos as well, that have "Baseball Club" somewhere in them, but I think they went way too simple with this one. The SD is a great logo, but I think it becomes too plain with the block style of SD and the block style of "Baseball Club" et al. I think if they would have slapped the PADRES script across the middle instead it would have looked better.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one consistent throughout their history has been the SD, so it makes sense that, when you're constantly trying to find a look, make your primary logo the one thing that has always been an identifier, something that has gone through the fewest changes (really only one "change" and then some tweaks thereafter). It's why the Tigers were smart to make the old English D alone the primary. That being said, I think they should then go the Red Sox route and make just the SD the primary (navy with probably a sand trim) and then the SD/roundel logo the secondary or tertiary or something like a "corporate" type logo.

The one consistent throughout their history has been the SD, so it makes sense that, when you're constantly trying to find a look, make your primary logo the one thing that has always been an identifier, something that has gone through the fewest changes (really only one "change" and then some tweaks thereafter). It's why the Tigers were smart to make the old English D alone the primary. That being said, I think they should then go the Red Sox route and make just the SD the primary (navy with probably a sand trim) and then the SD/roundel logo the secondary or tertiary or something like a "corporate" type logo.

That's kinda what they did last year. Despite the modified "home plate" without the "San Diego" in it being their official primary last year, it was not their de-facto primary. The team utilized a simple white "SD" on blue circular background as their de-factor primary for most of the 2011 season. The home plate logo was pretty much unused for the entire season unless it was using up old 2010 version stationary and such (which did feature the "San Diego" in it).

This was the defacto logo of the Padres in 2011.

logo_mlb_padres.jpg

So really the new logo was just an evolution off of that incorporating it into a larger logo.

That's kinda what they did last year. Despite the modified "home plate" without the "San Diego" in it being their official primary last year, it was not their de-facto primary. The team utilized a simple white "SD" on blue circular background as their de-factor primary for most of the 2011 season. The home plate logo was pretty much unused for the entire season unless it was using up old 2010 version stationary and such (which did feature the "San Diego" in it).

logo_mlb_padres.jpg

So really the new logo was just an evolution off of that incorporating it into a larger logo.

The team had mock-ups of an almost identical version of the current SD primary logo as early as 2010. They chose a stripped-down version of it for last season and, basically, just readopted them for 2012. All the new logo happens to be is a monochrome version to match the monochrome Friar which, frankly, I feel looks worse than the other options. Just check out slide number 10 on BASIC Agency's marketing pitch - comparatively, I believe the navy & sand ones are better, as are the alternate sand & brown.

To have those options and water it down to navy & white seems like an odd choice considering they didn't ditch sand entirely.

logo_mlb_padres.jpg

I think all the primary needs to be is a straight-up navy SD trimmed in sand. No circles or anything. It's there most identifying mark the team has had through their 40+ years.

I feel like I may be in the minority here, but I absolutely love this set. I really like the double sleeve piping, really nice old-school touch. The only changes I'd have made would be to 1) use the friar (just the friar, not the circle and text) logo as a sleeve patch on each uniform (save the military alt), and 2) outline the road script and numbers with sand. Aside from that, I think it's a very classy looking set, and I honestly don't get a "Yankees/Tigers" vibe from it, not even from the blue alt.

All my lifetime (since 1992), the Padres have been a "blue team", so I really don't mind at all that they kept it. Brown would be nice, but It'd have to have been done right (like 1969). I really don't mind blue staying, and really like what they've done here (did I mention I love the double sleeve piping? :D). Taking into account the aforementioned minor quibbles, the Padres get a very solid B+ me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Great, I liked the set, but after seeing those 1969 sets I'm extremely bummed they didn't go with something similar to that. Even with a mediocre logo that brown/yellow hat looks AWESOME. Still this looks quite nice, I'm surprised how great double sleeve piping looks. And BTW, for some reason navy uniforms with white piping/logos/scripts look really great to me, so I LOVE that alternate.

Padres actually look less boring to me now. Last year their set was so bleh that I hardly noticed. But now this is QUITE nice, and I look forward to seeing it on the field.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

Kinda wish they'd replace sand with an athletic gold.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

logo_mlb_padres.jpg

I think all the primary needs to be is a straight-up navy SD trimmed in sand. No circles or anything. It's there most identifying mark the team has had through their 40+ years.

That or that logo that was pointed out above (basically a sand out ring of the new logo) would also have looked good. I'm happy they didn't ditch sand, but I think minimizing it as they have is a mistake. It was and to an extent remains, the most unique trait of the Padres whole lineup. That said I do love what they did with the new uniforms too, particularly the away which after looking at it closely has a fair bit of resemblance to the 1936 Padres uniforms and the 90's aways.

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1936-37.jpg and SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1995.jpg

v

7dg1j2g3e4v0lqejm0uhf8eoe.gif

The new uniforms aren't bad, but they really missed a chance to look great. They could have gone brown and yellow and finally give themselves an identity. Instead they just got even more generic. Oh well, they'll change again in 5-7 years, hopefully we get brown and yellow then.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived