San Diego Padres Unveiling

larrypep

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda wish they'd replace sand with an athletic gold.

At that point, replace navy with brown and you've got a true winner. B)

Either would be better than this.

pads1.png

JEEZUS... that's awesome.

Sure it's ok for a logo, but then you have to put it on a uniform... which so far has yet to be done tastefully.

pads1.png

Sure it's ok for a logo, but then you have to put it on a uniform... which so far has yet to be done tastefully.

Gothamite, kindly refresh the man's memory with those 1969 unis. Or that white pullover set with the script scross the front, for that matter.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

pads1.png

Gothamite, kindly refresh the man's memory with those 1969 unis. Or that white pullover set with the script scross the front, for that matter.

The 69 uniforms were "meh" (not a fan of "creme colored" home uniforms). I like my home whites pearly white. And they were the best of the bunch. They got progressively worse until the yellow of the late 70's which were enough to make someone gouge their eyes out. Then they got a tad less vomit inducing going into the early 80's until they decided they wanted to look like the Giants mated with the Yankees.

pads1.png

Seriously. "Tastefully"? Obviously, in your opinion, the brown and gold isn't good, but there are a lot of folks on this board who strongly diagree. And, like it as a uniform or not, I'd certainly like it if you could explain exactly how the 69 set isn't "tasteful".

pads1.png

Seriously. "Tastefully"? Obviously, in your opinion, the brown and gold isn't good, but there are a lot of folks on this board who strongly diagree. And, like it as a uniform or not, I'd certainly like it if you could explain exactly how the 69 set isn't "tasteful".

Boring, generic wordmark (screams expansion team). Creme colored home jersey which just looks like it's just look like dirty laundry, home whites should be white (like the current ones). The away isn't as bad but I'm not a fan of the sandy color either (away jerseys should be grey). Plus with the away it again comes across more like a dirty shirt than any particular "statement" color. That said the 69's aren't awful. They were definitely the best of the brown jerseys the team wore, but that's less because they were great and more because everything that followed was so bad until the 90's. But then it's not exactly fair, the 90's unis were the best they've worn to date even if I am a fan of the current ones as well.

Anyway I'll just be happy that the owners, staff, players, and apparently majority of fans agree with me and be happy.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7214149/san-diego-padres-update-uniforms-piping-block-letters

The 69 uniforms were "meh" (not a fan of "creme colored" home uniforms). I like my home whites pearly white.

Well, no problem then. Those are white home uniforms.

Flannel fades, through time and washing, and that one is over 40 years old. Those were never intended to be cream-colored.

Couple ways they could've easily kept the same design, and just change or tweak the colors:

Btw, I tried to recreate the older khaki roads and not the previous sand color. Doesn't look great, I know.

SanDiegoPadres_brown-gold_uniforms.gif

SanDiegoPadres_navy-sand_uniforms.gif

(On the navy set, there IS a sand outline around the SD on the caps)

All flannel home uniforms were slightly cream colored because they couldn't accurately make white jerseys until they went to double-knit in 1972. They were supposed to be white. I agree that stark white looks best most of the time, as outside of the Giants, the cream color comes off as gimmicky. Creme wouldn't look bad for the Padres, but I prefer white because it would be farther from the khaki-ish shade I would prefer the roads to be (just as the ones used in 1969).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Nevermind I get what you were saying now. That's your interpretation of the new blue unis. Not bad actually. The brown is a nice attempt but it does reinforce for me why it would have been a mistake to go brown.

Couple ways they could've easily kept the same design, and just change or tweak the colors:

Btw, I tried to recreate the older khaki roads and not the previous sand color. Doesn't look great, I know.

I really dig both designs there, and you made the brown and gold work well on that design. Personally, I don't mind the fact that the current set has block numbers and am indifferent between block and the now-old number font, but you addressed the small nitpicks I had with the new uniforms by adding the friar to each uniform's sleeve and adding a sand outline to the road lettering and numbering. Either set you have there would be one of the top in the league.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That brown set make me so sad. That would have been SO PERFECT and they screwed it up yet again.

%7Boption%7D(On the navy set, there IS a sand outline around the SD on the caps)

That brown set make me so sad. That would have been SO PERFECT and they screwed it up yet again.

That brown and gold set is really well done, McCall. Nice job.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

%7Boption%7D(On the navy set, there IS a sand outline around the SD on the caps)

That brown and gold set is really well done, McCall. Nice job.

Perfectly illustrates the greatness of the brown and gold for the Padres. Really shows how the same design can look so great in brown and gold and so meh in the boring navy and white. The Padres really missed a great chance.

It's not perfect, I'm sorry. Recolors rarely are; such is the nature of a recolor. The smooth, wavy, ocean-y script doesn't look good in brown/yellow at all. I like the color palette in and of itself, but not as a recolor of a navy/sand design clearly intended to evoke the ocean.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Have at it folks. Here's your primary.

sdp-primary-2012-450x450.png

Alt logo.

sdp-alt-2012-450x364.png

All jerseys.

WYiRiWMB.jpg

Road set.

sdp-unis-road-20121-420x450.png

Patch.

sdp-sleeve-home-2012-450x405.png

Any more pictures, post them up! I just pulled these from the main site and the Pads site.

I like it but the if im the Padres I wouldve made the swinging friars as the primary and the SD as an alt and im not a fan of piping but other than that I kinda like it.

Archived