San Diego Padres Unveiling

larrypep

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late to the party, but here's my thoughts:

As soon as I saw the primary logo, I just shook my head. It's sad. I mean, the alternate logo should be the primary logo. Speaking of which, the swinging friar going one-dimensional is a huge downgrade. Like one member stated, it looks sick. That's another thing I don't like, the color scheme. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but the shade of navy is much darker, or at least it seems that way due to the lack of a prominent accent color. You can't spell "San Diego" without "sand". The Padres are one of the few teams that can make sand look good. It's horrible to see that it's been reduced to such a low mark. Now, instead of being unique for a good reason, like sand, they are being unique as being on of the first teams I've ever seen to use piping in all four areas of the uniform(chest, neckline, sleeves, and pants). I actually liked the uniforms when I first saw them, but there are some things that make me cringe. The piping as mentioned above, the patch, the lack of sand as mentioned above, the home script, and the whole uninspired design of the first three uniforms. I LOVE piping on a baseball jersey. I HATE how the piping looks on these jerseys. You can't unsee what has been seen with these things. Everytime I see them, my eyes stray up toward that neckline piping. It looks awful with placket piping. Whoever thought that would be a good idea should be fired. Would have semi-liked these jerseys if it were piping down the middle/sleeves.

REMEMBER:

forks.gif

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Not different enough to stop media outlets from using the old primary to identify the Padres. I guarantee you'll still see the wave and home plate somewhere, at some point, in 2012. Just depends on how lazy the graphics people in some backwoods market can be.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I like the new road mark. The new primary is pretty bad though. Could it be more generic, cookie cutter? I think the subtraction of the sand color was a big mistake. It actually was a unique look that looked GOOD.

I really like the navy alternate. I've always been a fan of putting the City's first letter on a jersey. I think it looks great is has some tradition to it. Overall, I would say its a lateral move.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

First off, thanks to everyone involved for how quickly the graphics were made & put up in the Creamerverse.

Another thanks to those who knew in advance and warned the community to not get our hopes up about this.

Second off, my judgement.

Logo

I like the idea of the primary logo matching the piping on the jerseys but I wish there was some Sand trim to that somewhere. I'm shocked of the use of Eurostile typeface, and I love it.

Unis

LOVE LOVE LOVE the piping. Looks fantastic in person, ESPECIALLY the Navy Blue alternate. I don't mind the lack of Sand on the roads, but downgrading of Sand on the Home unis now is starting to bother me. I'll miss the old Road script but I understand the change. Getting rid of their great number typeface and going back to standard block is a horrible move.

Overall

Bland, but the uniform piping saves the look. It stands out even less, and it's not even enough of a change that people other than us and Padres fans will even notice.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Not different enough to stop media outlets from using the old primary to identify the Padres. I guarantee you'll still see the wave and home plate somewhere, at some point, in 2012. Just depends on how lazy the graphics people in some backwoods market can be.

Reminds me of when Fox was putting batting helmets on their studio set during the playoffs and they had the blue/gold Astros helmet while the 'Stros were wearing their current look (and I don't even think it was the first year)...So yeah, you'll be seeing the old primary from time to time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So what's up with this?

Ad2ZQUGCEAAU2gq.jpg

Does look like a gold outline, though.

The red outline leads me to believe that's a PCL throwback.

You think that's red? I thought it was bad color in the TwitPic. The jersey appears to have the same piping as the home.

Did they say anything about a PCL throwback at the unveiling?

They should have used the same font (the one from the friar one) for both of those logos...loe that font. And while they're at it, a recoloured navy and sand version of the early-80s arch wordmark on the front of these jerseys would look pretty fantastic too. I'm a huge fan of the brown and gold era like many here, but I actually think I liked it more for its other elements then just the colours. I think a navy and white with sand trim version of that set would look pretty great.

This new set is pretty weak IMO. I'd always assumed if I was calling the shots for a pro sports team, my instructions to the design department would always include:"I want us to have the BEST uniforms in the league." Do you think anyone in the padres organization, or anyone involved with the design feel this is anywhere close to the best look in baseball?

I'll always look at this as a missed opportunity. They had some fan ferver for the Browns...they could have brought in a look that within a few years would scream "Padres" to every casual fan in America.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So according to the images posted on the mothership, the cap logo as a sand outline (a positive) and there's only one cap. So then it'll technically have sand while the road uniform and alt uniform that'll be worn with, do not. I guess it could be worse, they could've gone the Pirates route and had it on the home cap only and made a road cap without it.

All they needed to do was change all the white outlines on the road to sand and put a sand outline on the SD and names and numbers on the alt and it would be much better, with this color option at least.

So according to the images posted on the mothership, the cap logo as a sand outline (a positive) and there's only one cap. So then it'll technically have sand while the road uniform and alt uniform that'll be worn with, do not. I guess it could be worse, they could've gone the Pirates route and had it on the home cap only and made a road cap without it.

All they needed to do was change all the white outlines on the road to sand and put a sand outline on the SD and names and numbers on the alt and it would be much better, with this color option at least.

No the sand outline cap is only the BP cap. The regular cap for all 3 new unis is carrying over from last year's home/away cap with the plain white interlocking "SD".

Archived