B1G Football Redesign

mcrosby

A while back I posted some uniform concepts for Wisconsin and Nebraska to differentiate the two. Working off of those (with some minor tweaks) I'll be reworking each of the B1G's football uniforms. I've begun with Michigan and Ohio State. The rest are to come after some C&C on these. After putting all 12 teams out there I'll present rivalry uniforms.

Michigan: I really enjoyed the shoulder yokes they used this year, but thought they would have been better with maize pants. I adjusted the pants stripe to fit with the striped yokes. Michigan has been quick to put the block M everywhere they can lately so I've just got it on the neckline and the pants.

MichiganB1G-1.png

Ohio State: I combined a few of their recent looks for this concept. I used the grey shoulders from this years pro combats used against Wisconsin (great game, horrible outcome, especially 7 rows from that ill-fated dead duck pass to end the game). WIth the grey shoulders I was able to make the B-W-Scarlet-W-Black stripes uniform throughout the.....uniform. The left side of the helmet has the player number, like the pro combats they've used recently. I added the O-less word mark to the chest and threw a buckeye pride-sticker on the pants.

OhioStateB1G.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think honestly that you have great ideas going for both, but both just need some small tweaking. My (very minor) suggestions would be to eliminate the pants pattern for Michigan, and drop the script on the chest for Ohio State (as well as to put numbers on both sides of the helmet). Other than that, I like the look of both. Ohio State's especially is a bit different, but in a good way I think. I rather like the design of the jersey. Good work!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

And because it's the holiday season I'm going to post the next two right away. Iowa and Nebraska. The Cornfrontation.

Nebraska: Some of you may have already seen this concept, or something very similar, when I posted the Wisconsin/Nebraska solution concept. The Red is nice and bright, the numbers are a throwback, and the pants stripe actually matches the helmet stripe. Instead of putting a single stripe on the sleeve I decided to just use the cuffs to represent the single stripe instead.

NebraskaB1G.png

Iowa: The Hawkeyes used the IOWA script on the sleeves once upon a time, and currently use the ANF (America Needs Farms) on the helmet. I decided to use the old sleeve concept to make the ANF more prominent and to get away from the script on the chest that college football is so fond of. Plus, this was the best way to get away from the Pittsburgh Steelers look. Piping has never been my favorite, but for this Iowa concept I think it keeps it real simple. I also changed up the logo a bit. I've had a logo sitting around for a while and decided it looked quite a bit like the Hawkeyes logo with a bit of recoloring. Have at it.

IowaB1G.png

I also changed up the logo a bit. I've had a logo sitting around for a while and decided it looked quite a bit like the Hawkeyes logo with a bit of recoloring. Have at it.

By this, you do mean you found that hawk logo somewhere and made a few minor adjustments on it. Right?

I also changed up the logo a bit. I've had a logo sitting around for a while and decided it looked quite a bit like the Hawkeyes logo with a bit of recoloring. Have at it.

By this, you do mean you found that hawk logo somewhere and made a few minor adjustments on it. Right?

I think you over read that, he's saying he a logo around, doesn't it mean he made it. He just recolored it his liking, nothing wrong with that. Give the guy a break.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

No, Cola, I mean I made a concept a few years ago and decided to use it for this concept. I know the boards have been pretty flooded with plaguerism lately but to call me out like that was uncool. Next time you accuse someone of stealing a logo check to see if its actually been stolen. For reference, here's the logo as I made it so very long ago. Thanks though. I had a topic on it way back when here on the boards, if you'd like to search for it feel free.

bird.jpg

My apologies, I didn't mean for it to come off that way at all. I just knew I had seen it on the boards before and had *thought* another person did it- certainly my mistake.

For the record, I think it's a great logo.

I'm definitely digging the gold, Temple-style pants / striping for Michigan. That's one of my favorite striping styles in sports and I think it works here.

Personally, I preferred the contrast number stitching, gray facemask and helmet numbers from the original design, but I like this.

9up7jm.png

My apologies, I didn't mean for it to come off that way at all. I just knew I had seen it on the boards before and had *thought* another person did it- certainly my mistake.

Just don't be so quick to make accusations. And at least give some decent C&C now that the wrong has been righted.

Just don't be so quick to make accusations. And at least give some decent C&C now that the wrong has been righted.

Fair enough:

- I think the B1G logo is too high on Ohio State's uniform.

- I don't think the font choice for the numerals on Nebraska works very well with the class N logo n the helmet.

- I think the Michigan shoulder stripes could possibly work on the field, but the pants make this concept way too busy.

- Iowa is the best of the bunch.

I think all of them could be improved by adding some more features or thinking outside the box a bit more- while all have classic sets now, you can tell you took a pretty minimal approach to these in terms of design. Not a bad thing at all- I happen to favor that in a uniform.

Indiana and Purdue: Alright, here are the next two, because apparently on the concepts section these days you have to keep bumping to get C&C through all the half-arsed concepts and trolls.

Indiana: I took another step in differentiating Wisconsin/Nebraska/Indiana and changed Indiana's white to actual cream. Everything about this uniform is pretty basic, the helmet is an inversion of a helmet they previously used +side numbers. The big change here is the pants. By now we all know Indiana's basketball warmup pants, and I think that done correctly they can work as football pants. I was going to switch the HOOSIERS script on the away to INDIANA, but they're pretty synonymous.

IndianaB1G.png

Purdue: For Purdue I attempted to take white out of the equation, aside from the away uniform. I darkened the gold as well as making it a bit more orange. The break from traditional with these would be the sublimated rivets, as seen on some of Purdue's logos. I also changed the number font to match the wordmark/P.

PurdueB1G.png

Whoa, hello random red spot on Purdue pants, I'll have that fixed in a bit.

IndianaB1G.png

I think I just threw up a bit...

Definitely not feeling the pants. Ditch the logo on the helmet, or put it in the traditional location. I think the number on the side is too Alabama-esque. Decrease the size of the word mark on the jersey. It looks off-white, am I seeing things? It looks good, I'd even make it more cream.

Indian and Purdue are brilliant. Everything else is kind of meh, and Iowa is definately a no go for me. Other than your super old template, keep up the good work!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

And because it's the holiday season I'm going to post the next two right away. Iowa and Nebraska. The Cornfrontation.

Nebraska: Some of you may have already seen this concept, or something very similar, when I posted the Wisconsin/Nebraska solution concept. The Red is nice and bright, the numbers are a throwback, and the pants stripe actually matches the helmet stripe. Instead of putting a single stripe on the sleeve I decided to just use the cuffs to represent the single stripe instead.

NebraskaB1G.png

Iowa: The Hawkeyes used the IOWA script on the sleeves once upon a time, and currently use the ANF (America Needs Farms) on the helmet. I decided to use the old sleeve concept to make the ANF more prominent and to get away from the script on the chest that college football is so fond of. Plus, this was the best way to get away from the Pittsburgh Steelers look. Piping has never been my favorite, but for this Iowa concept I think it keeps it real simple. I also changed up the logo a bit. I've had a logo sitting around for a while and decided it looked quite a bit like the Hawkeyes logo with a bit of recoloring. Have at it.

IowaB1G.png

Is this the Cornfrontation or (as someone else put it) Farmageddon?

Packers-2.png

The only bad one in the bunch is Iowa. I'm not so keen on the logo or the massive "IOWA" text on the sleeves. Aside from that, these are absolutely fantastic, every single other one is better than what the schools are wearing now. I especially dig the shoulder yokes on Michigan, the candy-striped pants on Indiana, and the classic serif font on Nebraska. Well done.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

For people who think that Wisconsin/Indiana/Nebraska are too similar, and should thus be changed, I present to you...

THIS:

275px-BigTen-Uniform-UN.png275px-Big12-Uniform-OU.png

We never had a problem with it for over 100 years in the Mo. Valley and/or Big 6/7/8/12.

With several minor uniform tweaks between the Huskers and Sooners for decades, the only real consistent distinction was Nebraska's white helmets and Oklahoma's red lids. The figure above makes Oklahoma look maroonish - almost Texas A&M - but in reality, the NU and OU shades of red are very similar.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived