B1G Football Redesign

mcrosby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, next up are Wisconsin and Penn State.

Wisconsin: Some of you may remember this concept from a while back in the Nebraska/Wisconsin solution thread I started. For those of you that done, here are the changes. The black drop shadow is dropped from the W, to keep the black from getting into other part of the uniform. I've changed the number font to reflect the font Badger basketball uses. The red is now cardinal, much closer to what is used on the helmets and not the bright as hell jerseys. On the main front and back panels of the jersey are sublimated vertical stripes to reflect the sweater Buckingham U. Badger wears.

WisconsinB1G.png

Penn State: I tried to stick close to tradition here with Penn State, simple is good but now is the best time for a departure from the current era. Penn State's beautiful logo is now on the helmet, with a secondary helmet added with an oversized logo a la Boise. The 'new' varsity font is used on the front of the jerseys. I considered putting 'WE ARE" somewhere on the jerseys but it seems to be used by far too many schools these days, maybe on the rivalry set. Your eyes do not deceive you, one of the cuffs on the jersey is black. Though it may be the intent of the university to move on from this horrible time I think the best way to avoid repeating history is to be reminded of it.

PennStateB1G.png

Michigan: I like the sleeves, but I feel that the pants stripes are a little too much.

Ohio St: I like the shoulder yokes a lot. Surprisingly it really works for them. Only complaint is the script under the collar. It just doesn't really work on a football uniform.

Nebraska: Love it. I always liked that number font, and the single stripes everywhere really clean things up.

Iowa: I like the design of the unis, but I'm not feeling the "IOWA" and "ANF" on the sleeves. Maybe put "IOWA" on the front under the collar and "ANF" on the back of the jersey.

Indiana: NO. I'm afraid the the barber pole warmups don't transfer very well. Honestly, their current set with double stripes on the helmet and Colts-style shoulder loops would be perfect.

Purdue: Probably the best Purdue concept I've ever seen. I like the elimination of white and the shade of gold you used, and the rivets are genius. The wordmark on the front and the number font are great too.

Wisconsin: I like it. I'm glad you used that font for the numbers (the name has escaped me) and I like the sublimated stripes.

Penn State: Good changes. I like the logo on the helmet and the wordmark is a nice touch. I like the idea of the black cuff, but I think black armbands are normally worn on the left arm (see here and here).

Overall really nice work! Looking forward to the rest.

I'm not sold on those black armbands. I do not think they need to become a permanent feature of the uniform. Also, in sport it seems that a black arm band usually pays tribute to a deceased person. As far as I'm aware, as awful and disgusting as the Penn State scandal has been, no one has passed on. So it seems strange to see this portrayed in similar fashion to a memorial.

this: nebraska_oklahoma_foo_bere3.jpg

is very different from

this: 678653c998d8f1b694a6741aca0dd892.jpg

Yet, I can easily tell the many differences between Nebraska and Wisconsin. There are more differences between the two than people put out. I think the whole "oh no they look like carbon copies of each other!" claim is always blown out of proportion and exaggerated, but that's just my humble opinion on the matter.

Anyways, really nice job on Wisconsin. I think the road can do without the red shoulders, but even still, it's a nice look. Regarding Penn State, I think the black armband is a bit much. That being said, despite my love for Penn State's iconic look, I think you've updated the uniform tastefully. It could probably do without the chest wordmark, but I like what you've done with the set. Good work.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I have to agree with aawagner about the black armband. To me they do not work in the present situation. I know that a blue ribbon/armband represents child abuse prevention, and all of us students wore blue armbands and ribbons for the Nebraska game. Maybe you could try to incorporate that somehow, maybe by making one armband on each jersey blue? Otherwise I like the uniforms, though I could live without the oversized helmet logo on the blue helmet.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Indiana and Purdue: Alright, here are the next two, because apparently on the concepts section these days you have to keep bumping to get C&C through all the half-arsed concepts and trolls.

Indiana: I took another step in differentiating Wisconsin/Nebraska/Indiana and changed Indiana's white to actual cream. Everything about this uniform is pretty basic, the helmet is an inversion of a helmet they previously used +side numbers. The big change here is the pants. By now we all know Indiana's basketball warmup pants, and I think that done correctly they can work as football pants. I was going to switch the HOOSIERS script on the away to INDIANA, but they're pretty synonymous.

IndianaB1G.png

and people say the Oregon Ducks look like clowns! This would be horrendous on a football field.

spacer.png

Penn State looks better, but Indiana looked brillaint before! The change makes it infinately worse. Thye look like pajama bottoms now!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

...the only real consistent distinction was Nebraska's white helmets and Oklahoma's red lids...

And their darker red, and their lettering above the front numerals, and their lack of sleeve stripes, and the fact that their tv numerals are on the sleeve rather than the shoulder, and their lack of red pants on the road...

I'm not saying that Wisconsin or Nebraska should change because of their similarities, because it really doesn't bother me that much (though I think Wisconsin's look could be improved by changing), but let's not pretend that Oklahoma's and Nebraska's visual similarity was anywhere remotely close to the similarity of the Badgers and the Huskers.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Next Up. After this I'll post Illinois, Northwestern, and Minnesota. I'm having some trouble with those so if I hit any speedbumps I'll likely start on the rivalry games.

Michigan State: For MSU I wanted to go back to two colors and nix the copper. I mixed the logo that was scrapped not long ago with the current logo. The shoulder stripes were originally just like that of USC Trojans, and then I realized how much it looked like USC. I added a bit to the shoulders to reflect the logo and make the uniform unique.

MichiganStateB1G.png

Thank god, you got rid of the gold/copper/bronze. That should be (at most) a one time a year thing IMO. On to your concept, though, I think the plumes on the shoulder is an interesting take for this team, though I think it may look kind of funky on the field. Without the little detailed portions of the plume, I think I would actually enjoy this. It just screams 90's to me right now. Other than that, the only minor thing is I think the rear numbers are a tad too large. Nice work on this, though!

My point wasn't that Oklahoma = Wisconsin. My point was that there have already been numerous occasions when two teams play each other wearing similar uniforms. Alabama/Arkansas are also "somewhat" similar and they have no problem being the same division of the SEC.

Just saying that people who freak out about the Husker/Badger "problem" are overreacting. Wisconsin has a "W" logo on the back of the jersey, above the name. Nebraska has a chest patch. The helmet stripes are different.

If people are getting bent out of shape because the two teams resemble one another, then maybe the schools should just wear Red-Outs and White-Outs depending on who's the home team and who's visiting. Since the BigTen is so obsessed with tradition, maybe it's time for the Huskers and Badgers to start a new tradition of their own.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

MSU is great! The shoulder stripes are perfect, the helmet is perfect, the pants are good, but I'm not totally sold on the striping, but every else is awesome! I'm loving this series. It'll help me cope with the lack of redoapolooza...

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

IndianaB1G.png

How about a little credit where credit is due, I made these Home and Roads for the Hoosiers over a year ago and have many different iterations here and have even posted these very recently on these boards:

IU_NPC_HaB_H_1.jpg

And as a graduate, I would like to say that "Cream and Crimson" is just hyperbole in our fight song. We wear Red and White. We have a chant, "Go Big Red." And if our football team ever changed to cream, the basketball program (and all other teams) would be forced to follow suit by school policy (IU has only recently unified their color schemes across all sports and they aren't about to F*** that up), and because BBall wont change anything on their unis, that won't happen.

Nice work so far though...

______

EDIT: Though, even I believe those are a bit loud. I agree with a poster above, This is the Hoosiers best look going forward: HOME and ROAD

IndianaB1G.png

How about a little credit where credit is due, I made these Home and Roads for the Hoosiers over a year ago and have many different iterations here and have even posted these very recently on these boards:

It's fairly misguided to call someone out for this, since it's not really your idea to begin with. Just an adaptation of what the basketball team wears for warmups, no?

MBBallTeam050602-lg.jpg

It's fairly misguided to call someone out for this, since it's not really your idea to begin with. Just an adaptation of what the basketball team wears for warmups, no?

I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying he stole my idea - I want to make that clear - but I thought he may have seen my multiple designs with the candy stripes since they've been linked to all over the place.

I mean, I came up with the idea to put the pattern on the pants a year ago, and to my knowledge, I'm the first person to put that in 'ink', so to speak, but I'm no genius, I'm sure he easily could have come up with the same idea on his own.

I will say I like the helmet, not as much as the helmet from two years ago, but it is a nice fauxback.

Archived