2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

Also Bellichick and Coughlin did ok in their first stops, better than ok given the circumstances, some would say.

36-44 is not "better than okay," not even for the Browns. Belichick spent his tenure alienating everyone and sucking. It's almost as if Browns Belichick coached under Patriots Belichick and climbed into a time machine, since "alienate everyone and suck" is what everyone else from his staff has gone on to do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck Pagano... Dennis Allen... Greg Schiano... These hires suck! How are any of these coaches better than out-of-work "re-treads" like Marty Schottenheimer or Brad Childress?

They aren't. The situations they are coming into though are terrible and nobody with a reputation at stake such as Childress, Schottenheimer, Billick, Gruden, etc. is going to take a job like that. I'll bet anything that after three years at least two of those guys will no longer be coaching their current team.

Also Bellichick and Coughlin did ok in their first stops, better than ok given the circumstances, some would say.

36-44 is not "better than okay," not even for the Browns. Belichick spent his tenure alienating everyone and sucking. It's almost as if Browns Belichick coached under Patriots Belichick and climbed into a time machine, since "alienate everyone and suck" is what everyone else from his staff has gone on to do.

well that evens out at just over a 7-9 record each year, and a playoff win added in is not a bad record. (so actually 37-45). He actually had a similar record to Childress' in Minnesota, but seriously are you saying Childress seems like a long term choice? Bellichick went back to being an assistant and worked hard for another chance.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I didn't say anything about Brad Childress at any point, but now that you mention him, he still finished over .500 even with his trainwreck of a final, truncated season. As for Belichick, there's no world where 36-44 is "not bad" or "better than okay," as much as you may want to apologize for your guy. He sucked in Cleveland and nobody liked the job he did. Averaging 7-9 over five years or however you want to frame it to cover your ass is only an achievement insofar as most coaches are put out of their misery before they're allowed to have five seven-win seasons.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wait Rutgers coach Greg Schiano is expected to become the new Tampa Bay coach? Kind of scratching my head here.

Wow. :censored: you, Malcolm Glazer.

Not his fault. He had to give up control of his team to his sons because of health reasons. So blame them.

After researching him after I heard the news, I really love his attitude and personality. He's almost a complete 180 from Morris, and that's what this team needs right now. I still have my skepticism for college coaches doing well in the NFL (Jim Harbaugh is a special case), but unlike Chip Kelly, Schiano has at least one iota of NFL experience. I definitely prefer him over Sherman or Childress.

Plus, Belichck's endorsement of him isn't that bad either.

I'll say one thing for Schiano, he looks like an NFL head coach! Doesn't mean much in the long run. But another point is that the ratio of head coaches who've been coordinators and succesful against coaches who've been college head coaches and succesful is pretty similar. Lots of coordinators prove to be inept as Head Coaches in the end.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Phil Emery named new GM of the Chicago Bears. Formal introduction on Monday.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wait Rutgers coach Greg Schiano is expected to become the new Tampa Bay coach? Kind of scratching my head here.

Wow. :censored: you, Malcolm Glazer.

What Manchester United fans have been saying for years now.

I just laughed so hard at this.

spacer.png

Phil Emery named new GM of the Chicago Bears. Formal introduction on Monday.

Fire him. He's done NOTHING since he was hired.

can you tell I'm a true bears fan? ;)

We'll hear those sentiments sometime Monday afternoon after he tells the media he's keeping on Tim Ruskell and the majority of the Bears current scouting staff. Meatballs across Chicago will be howling in pain.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If Peyton Manning ends up playing somewhere other than Indy, the Players in the Wrong Uniforms thread will get the mother of all posts.

If you believe the NFL Network and Jason La Canfora Peyton Manning's days of being a Colt are already essentially over.

http://sports.yahoo....-143813836.html

Where will he end up? My guesses at this point would be the Jets, Chiefs and Redskins in that order of likelihood of where I think he'll go. Maybe a darkhorse team like the Browns or Seahawks will make a move, but those are the three teams I'd look at. Redskins need a QB and Dan Snyder has a history of signing/trading for veteran players. I don't think the Chiefs are sold on either Matt Cassel or Kyle Orton as their future QB, and they may be the team best situation to make a trade for Manning. As for the Jets they may give Mark Sanchez one more year, but if the goal is to win now, Manning is the best option they can get. They're going to have to take a long look at whether or not they think Mark Sanchez can progress into becoming a franchise QB. I think the talent level is there, but the mental aspect of his game is significantly lacking.

If Peyton Manning ends up playing somewhere other than Indy, the Players in the Wrong Uniforms thread will get the mother of all posts.

If you believe the NFL Network and Jason La Canfora Peyton Manning's days of being a Colt are already essentially over.

Where will he end up? My guesses at this point would be the Jets, Chiefs and Redskins in that order of likelihood of where I think he'll go. Maybe a darkhorse team like the Browns or Seahawks will make a move, but those are the three teams I'd look at. Redskins need a QB and Dan Snyder has a history of signing/trading for veteran players. I don't think the Chiefs are sold on either Matt Cassel or Kyle Orton as their future QB, and they may be the team best situation to make a trade for Manning. As for the Jets they may give Mark Sanchez one more year, but if the goal is to win now, Manning is the best option they can get. They're going to have to take a long look at whether or not they think Mark Sanchez can progress into becoming a franchise QB. I think the talent level is there, but the mental aspect of his game is significantly lacking.

I've heard the Dolphins are basically waiting with a ludicrous offer. I can't recall the article, I'll post it when I can.

twitter

I've heard the Dolphins are basically waiting with a ludicrous offer. I can't recall the article, I'll post it when I can.

I think they're going to go with Matt Flynn, which is why I didn't list them but we'll see. Certainly another team in the running to pick up Manning if they don't grab Flynn. I don't think it makes sense for them to get Manning but then again its not like this team has ever had any clue with what to do at QB after Marino left.

Then again maybe they should try to win now, because its obvious they can't draft worth a :censored:. (Just two picks that have gone on to be Pro Bowlers in the last six years, not to mention the fact that they drafted Pat White in the second round.)

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Dolphins-Make-Manning-Top-Priority-138214234.html

That's not the article I was looking for, but basically sums it up. Peyton is priority #1, with Flynn as a fallback.

twitter

Bruce Arians (OC) and Keith Butler (LBs) leave the Steelers to become the new Colts OC and DC respectively

For those like me who were wondering why Arians would take the same job for a team in a worse position, it has nothing to do with any ties he has to either the Colts or Pagano. The Steelers simply weren't going to be bringing him back next year. I thought he did a very solid job as the Steelers OC but as the Janet Jackson song goes, what have you don for me lately? And lately the Steelers finished 12th in offense.

Jim Caldwell will be a low level assistant in Baltimore, aka Cam Cameron's days may be numbered. No way you hire somebody like Caldwell if you have full faith in your offensive coordinator. Gotta think he is on a very short leash from here on in. May or may not even make it out of the season depending on how the Ravens offense does.

Archived