2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

That's the problem for teams canning coaches in a clump like this year and 3 years ago. There are only so many good coaches around and GMs and owners have tough choices about hiring quickly or taking time and risking a good guy finding another team. For what it's worth I think there are at least 2 or 3 of the class of 09 that will likely get another shot.

Especially if Mike Mularkey can somehow con someone into giving him a shot at being a head coach again.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the problem for teams canning coaches in a clump like this year and 3 years ago. There are only so many good coaches around and GMs and owners have tough choices about hiring quickly or taking time and risking a good guy finding another team. For what it's worth I think there are at least 2 or 3 of the class of 09 that will likely get another shot.

Especially if Mike Mularkey can somehow con someone into giving him a shot at being a head coach again.

I am reminded of a Chris Rock quote on coaching equality. He said that it was a good step that blacks are being interviewed and hired as coaches, but things wouldn't be equal until you have a black Dave Wannstedt, someone who is a crappy coach yet somehow keeps getting jobs.There are a bunch of guys who we wonder how they keep getting jobs. But then again, Mike Martz, for much as he was an ass who resisted change and couldn't adapt to different kinds of talent, can't find a job when it could be argued he was a genius with the offensive system he created. I do think that Martz was too smart for his own good and often got cute when he shouldn't (such as calling for a reverse to a possession receiver on 3rd and 2 against a defense on its heels in the last two minutes of the NFC Championship Game :cursing: ). That being said, I am glad he is no longer with the Bears.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Rob Lowe (yes, that Rob Lowe) has reported he heard from very good sources that Peyton Manning will announce his retirement today. Such a random rumor from a random source that I almost believe it. I guess we will see soon.

I wouldn't be surprised, after three neck surgeries, competing in the Double Stuf Racing League is kinda hard.

That's what he's retiring from, right? :upside:

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I am reminded of a Chris Rock quote on coaching equality. He said that it was a good step that blacks are being interviewed and hired as coaches, but things wouldn't be equal until you have a black Dave Wannstedt, someone who is a crappy coach yet somehow keeps getting jobs.

Didn't Herman Edwards kinda take care of that? :P (Hey--you gotta take baby steps.)

Anyway, and I know we all know this, all this hire/fire switcheroo is, to me anyway, a byproduct of an impatient society. No one (or I should say "no owners and/or GMs) are willing to invest the time into letting teams/players develop under a new head coach; nope-it all seems to be about instant gratification, like "yeah sure your roster's full of players who wouldn't make second-string in the Arena League--but if you don't win now you're FIRED!!" (Okay that was a bit extreme, but still, my point stands.)

Here's the other part of that: the style of coaches out there, and someone already hit on this. Case in point: Tampa Bay. If nothing else, Raheem Morris was a disciple of the vaunted Tampa-2. Now remember when he first took the job and hired on Jim Bates as DC...who then had this wild idea to try to install a base 34 defense in Tampa. Tampa's defense--hell, no successful Cover-2 defense--employs the type of personnel, up front anyway, to run that package. (The cover-2 and especially the Tampa-2 emphasizes speed over size...now you tell me which one of Tampa's D-linemen even had half-a-chance of converting into a nose tackle? Exactly.) Thankfully, for Mo-Mo's sake, he saw that issue and corrected it before it completely tore up his defense last season. (I ain'y saying nothing about this past season...and y'all know why.)

Even better example: Mike Shanahan, who basically wanted to do the same thing in Washington (cue the Albery Haynesworth ha-ha jokes.). Exactly how successful have the 'Skins been since Shanahan's been there? Precisely.

The best coaches know how to make the best out of what they have. Case in point: John Fox. I thinl everyone in America knew Tim Tebow's strength was not in the vertical passing game...but the guy is built big, loves to take off and run, and has a Favre-like knack for improvising. And being that the Broncos stay keeping a platoon of RBs on their roster, all that translated pretty darn well into the option offense we saw out of the Broncos this past season, and they actually had a good bit of success with it. (Don't expect that to carry over into next season; just using it as a point of emphasis.)

My point is this: when you bring in a HC who only knows how to do things his way, to a team without the right kind of personnel to be successful, there's going to be growing pains. (Look how long it took the Colts' cover-2 scheme to materialize once Tony Dungy got to Indianapolis.) And he's going to want to bring in his type of personnel to run his scheme. The problem is that when it doesn't translate into on-field success, (lately by year three) fans and media outlets start calling for an ouster. Then in comes another HC who wants to run things HIS way...but might not have the right personnel in place. So now he guts the team and bring in HIS type of personnel...and it all just becomes one vicious cycle.

All of which brings me back to Tampa Bay...interesting period of transition they're finna go through, as not a single link remains from the Dungy years, and Ronde Barber, the lone defensive stalwart from those years remaining, is all but done. Rumor has it that GM Dominik has eyes on both Mike Zimmer and Panthers OC (and I hope I'm spelling this right) Ron (that his first name?) Chudzinski. Which way will they go? What kind of system will either (or whoever winds up down there) implement? How will they utilize existing personnel? Who will they bring in? (WILL they bring in anyone? Tampa's notorious for shunning the FA market.) Guess we'll see how that plays out down there in due time.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I am reminded of a Chris Rock quote on coaching equality. He said that it was a good step that blacks are being interviewed and hired as coaches, but things wouldn't be equal until you have a black Dave Wannstedt, someone who is a crappy coach yet somehow keeps getting jobs.

Didn't Herman Edwards kinda take care of that? :P (Hey--you gotta take baby steps.)

Anyway, and I know we all know this, all this hire/fire switcheroo is, to me anyway, a byproduct of an impatient society. No one (or I should say "no owners and/or GMs) are willing to invest the time into letting teams/players develop under a new head coach; nope-it all seems to be about instant gratification, like "yeah sure your roster's full of players who wouldn't make second-string in the Arena League--but if you don't win now you're FIRED!!" (Okay that was a bit extreme, but still, my point stands.)

Here's the other part of that: the style of coaches out there, and someone already hit on this. Case in point: Tampa Bay. If nothing else, Raheem Morris was a disciple of the vaunted Tampa-2. Now remember when he first took the job and hired on Jim Bates as DC...who then had this wild idea to try to install a base 34 defense in Tampa. Tampa's defense--hell, no successful Cover-2 defense--employs the type of personnel, up front anyway, to run that package. (The cover-2 and especially the Tampa-2 emphasizes speed over size...now you tell me which one of Tampa's D-linemen even had half-a-chance of converting into a nose tackle? Exactly.) Thankfully, for Mo-Mo's sake, he saw that issue and corrected it before it completely tore up his defense last season. (I ain'y saying nothing about this past season...and y'all know why.)

Even better example: Mike Shanahan, who basically wanted to do the same thing in Washington (cue the Albery Haynesworth ha-ha jokes.). Exactly how successful have the 'Skins been since Shanahan's been there? Precisely.

The best coaches know how to make the best out of what they have. Case in point: John Fox. I thinl everyone in America knew Tim Tebow's strength was not in the vertical passing game...but the guy is built big, loves to take off and run, and has a Favre-like knack for improvising. And being that the Broncos stay keeping a platoon of RBs on their roster, all that translated pretty darn well into the option offense we saw out of the Broncos this past season, and they actually had a good bit of success with it. (Don't expect that to carry over into next season; just using it as a point of emphasis.)

My point is this: when you bring in a HC who only knows how to do things his way, to a team without the right kind of personnel to be successful, there's going to be growing pains. (Look how long it took the Colts' cover-2 scheme to materialize once Tony Dungy got to Indianapolis.) And he's going to want to bring in his type of personnel to run his scheme. The problem is that when it doesn't translate into on-field success, (lately by year three) fans and media outlets start calling for an ouster. Then in comes another HC who wants to run things HIS way...but might not have the right personnel in place. So now he guts the team and bring in HIS type of personnel...and it all just becomes one vicious cycle.

All of which brings me back to Tampa Bay...interesting period of transition they're finna go through, as not a single link remains from the Dungy years, and Ronde Barber, the lone defensive stalwart from those years remaining, is all but done. Rumor has it that GM Dominik has eyes on both Mike Zimmer and Panthers OC (and I hope I'm spelling this right) Ron (that his first name?) Chudzinski. Which way will they go? What kind of system will either (or whoever winds up down there) implement? How will they utilize existing personnel? Who will they bring in? (WILL they bring in anyone? Tampa's notorious for shunning the FA market.) Guess we'll see how that plays out down there in due time.

another good example is what Parcells did in his first year in Dallas. Took Dave Campo's team featuring Quincy, Hambrick etc that gave us 3 strait 5-11 seasons and turned them in a 10-6 playoff team. Mind you this is a team that has 98% of it's players out of the league in 2-3 years.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Another factor is whether the GM and coach are on the same page in terms of what players a team might be looking for. The better run franchises seem to have better communication between front office and coaching staff, in terms of stuff like a coach saying I want a fast defense, go find me quick rather than strong defenders, or I want a pocket passer at QB rather than a more mobile QB. Teams that flounder almost seem to be guessing when bringing in players.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

All of which is to say...it's all part of a formula. Naturally, coaches will take the first wave of heat, but a coach is but one piece. And history has proven that if coach and GM (and in the case of the aforementioned Tuna, the owner) ain't on the same page, well...you already know.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

4 Pillars Meets Bourbon Street:

Supertroll.png

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, as you may or may not know, many Man U fans are still angry with Ol' Man Glazer a/ for his handling of the club since he bought it, and b/ for sinking the team into the red when, previous to that, they had been operating in the black. Maybe this their retaliation against him... :P

Also, this was kinda funny...

If the fans in St. Louis don't want to watch the Rams, why would people in London?

Avatar-sake facing up to five years behind bars for drug trafficking.

Atta boy Jerome!

Did he go to the Sam Hurd School of Cocaine Peddling?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well, as you may or may not know, many Man U fans are still angry with Ol' Man Glazer a/ for his handling of the club since he bought it, and b/ for sinking the team into the red when, previous to that, they had been operating in the black. Maybe this their retaliation against him... :P

If the fans in St. Louis don't want to watch the Rams, why would people in London?

They don't know any better. England could send their worst rugby or soccer team over here and I sure wouldn't know it. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

They don't know any better. They could send their worst rugby or soccer team over here and I sure wouldn't know it. :D

There is quite a cult following for the NFL in England. Wembley always draws crowds for the NFL through it being the one chance fans get to go watch a game. Even if the Rams are the 'home' team you'll get a tonne of Patriots, 49ers, Dolphins and so on jerseys.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived