2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish McCall didn't ream my ass so hard in March for suggesting that the Cardinals might take a step back. I'm still sore when I sit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wish McCall didn't ream my ass so hard in March for suggesting that the Cardinals might take a step back. I'm still sore when I sit.

The weird thing is that they haven't taken a step back in the way you might have expected. Their run differential is phenomenal. It was tops in the majors, then just tops in the NL. Not sure where it sits now, but I doubt it's dipped too much.

The problem is that they lose SO many one-run games. Primarily that's because they have an awful, awful bullpen who can't be relied on in close games. So those become close loses. This week it's because their tremendous offense (and it really is), has hit one of those slumps where they just can't get the key hit. They've left so many runners on base an in scoring position these last couple weeks, it's absurd.

I'm gonna cut myself off before I rant further, but basically the offense is better than it was last year, the starting pitching has weathered a couple of tough injuries really well, and it's just the bullpen that sucks. So technically they've taken a step back, but it's probably not the way you predicted it.

Also, they're following a very similar trajectory to last year... so who knows. But it'd be silly to expect a miracle again, so they need to start winning before they fall too far back. Ten and a half back with a month or so to go isn't likely to cut it this year.

The Miami Marlins have approached the Boston Red Sox about a blockbuster trade that would send left fielder Carl Crawford and a prospect to South Florida for infielder Hanley Ramirez and closer Heath Bell, according to three officials with knowledge of the talks who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing.

USA Today

Woah. While I'd like to have Crawford for the remainder of this season, this is a tremendous opportunity to dump his contract. It would probably make the Sox a weaker team right now, but if I were the GM I think I'd pull the trigger.

This could be one of those rare trades that actually could help both teams. Ramirez can say all the "right things" he wants to, but he still isn't over Reyes bumping him to 3B. Crawford regretted signing with the Red Sox right about the time he wrote the C in Crawford when he was signing the deal. It's just my opinion, but I think Ozzie Guillen is Heath Bell's biggest problem. Bell wants more (for lack of a better term) "hand-holding" or input from his manager and that's not Guillen's style. I don't think Bell would get any more benefit from playing for Valentine, but I think he sees any team that Ozzie Guillen doesn't manage as an improvement.

In any case, I believe each player involved would benefit greatly from a change of scenery. I hope this deal gets done if for no other reason than it would be nice to see Carl Crawford play like Carl Crawford again.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The weird thing is that they haven't taken a step back in the way you might have expected. Their run differential is phenomenal. It was tops in the majors, then just tops in the NL. Not sure where it sits now, but I doubt it's dipped too much.

The problem is that they lose SO many one-run games. Primarily that's because they have an awful, awful bullpen who can't be relied on in close games. So those become close loses. This week it's because their tremendous offense (and it really is), has hit one of those slumps where they just can't get the key hit. They've left so many runners on base an in scoring position these last couple weeks, it's absurd.

They played above expectation last year and now must play below it. The cosmos continues as always to mete out its baseball justice.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Reds come back from a 6-0 deficit, beat Arizona 7-6 to achieve a 2-2 split in the 4 games.

Diamondbacks are definitely a Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde team. Never know which team will show up. Will say that they need to beef up their bullpen because that seems to be their weakness and hit and miss offense.

Tough loss for the Giants today, but are 5-1 since the break and won only their 2nd series in 16 years at Turner Field. Philly is next, who are doing better, and is always a fun rivalry to watch now.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

So Bryce Harper's got a high midichlorian count, but we're unsure if he's going to use his powers for good or evil?

I sense a disturbance in the force.

Yankees losing stars, Jeter is gone, ARod is gone, Yankees will need a star when Bryce becomes a FA. So open comes the wallet and pinstripes will be worn, as other fans go

It's a good thing that the Nats don't have to worry about Harper's FA status until 2018. This gives us Nats fans plenty of time to appreciate his performance and growth as a professional baseball player.

Amen!

mcbqza.jpg

TRADE!

Ten-player deal between the Blue Jays and Astros. Toronto gets J.A. Happ, Brandon Lyon, one other player...Houston gets package led by Francisco Cordero.

Love it!

Good riddance Cordero!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Houston's full package is: Francisco Cordero, Ben Francisco, Asher Wohciechowski, Joe Musgrove, David Rollins, and Carlos Perez (three of whom were aromg Toronto's top 20 prospects).

Toronto's full package is: J.A Happ, Brandon Lyon, and avid Carpenter. Travis Snider has been called up from AAA.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm hearing a rumor on the radio today that would have the Diamondbacks sending Justin Upton, Stephen Drew, and prospect Adam Eaton to Detroit for Rick Porcello, a couple prospects(undisclosed at the moment) and possibly Austin Jackson(who the Dbacks want)

That just reminds me - what ever happened to Travis Snider, anyway? Looked like a fine prospect a couple years back, guess he wasn't cutting it in the majors?

They rushed him to the show originally and while he did show some promise, he was plagued by inconsistency and streakiness (not to mention a horrible habit of striking out way too much). This wasn't helped by the fact that Cito Gaston never game him consistent playing time and constantly started him 7th or 8th in the lineup. He battled several wrist injuries that hurt his swing and killed any momentum he had built with early-season success. He's spent most of the past calendar year working on his swing in AAA with quality results and seems to have improved, but we'll have to wait and see if he can finally translate that into consistent MLB success.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived