2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stat line won't show it, but Pekka Rinne was fantastic in giving up 5 goals in the Preds' OT loss to the Hawks. It felt like the Hawks could have put 10 on the board against that Nashville defense if Rinne wasn't constantly pulling out all the stops. Corey Crawford got to be Grant Fuhr for Halloween.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The only thing I don't like is the penguins losing the rivalries with Philly and Washington. If they moved Pittsburgh over to the other division, I'd be all for it, but it looks like the setup they have there makes the most sense geographically.

I guess you could swap Boston and Philly,but then I'm sure you'd piss some other teams off too.

If Ed Snider doesn't want to lose four games against the Penguins, he's not going to lose four games against the Penguins. Hello, Comcast connection.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That was a strong comeback at the end. Even though the Ducks lost it's nice to see how far hockey has come in the Northeast. I know some people had things to say when the NHL decided to expand, but I think the fans in DC have shown that it was a wise move. It's all about growing the sport, and giving those folks in cold climates something to do in the winter.

Crazy game between the Ducks and Caps tonight. Anaheim managed 4 goals despite only 15 shots on net the whole duration of the game, and were noticeably more energetic tonight. The second line was fantastic. Hiller however wasn't all there and gave away some easy ones to the Caps, also blowing a 3-0 lead.

Overall a pretty good effort despite the lopsided shot totals and Hiller not being completely focused.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

That was a strong comeback at the end. Even though the Ducks lost it's nice to see how far hockey has come in the Northeast. I know some people had things to say when the NHL decided to expand, but I think the fans in DC have shown that it was a wise move. It's all about growing the sport, and giving those folks in cold climates something to do in the winter.

This started out tired. Now it's exhausting. Two more weeks of it and I'll be pushing for the Ducks to move to Quebec.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 scheduling losses in a row.

Setoguchi beats the Wings in OT. Where have I heard that one before?

If you'd told me at the start of the season that by November 1 the Wild would have earned five points in three games against the Red Wings, I'd have asked where I could get some of what you've been smoking. :hockeysmiley:

CCSLC signature.png

Is it true in an attempt to draw more fans, the Blue Jackets are having Paper Bag night so fans can sit in anonymity?

When your own team is sitting at a 79.9% capacity, you shouldn't talk.

Better than others...

Islanders, Sabres for some reason, Phoenix, Columbus and Dallas.

Not great company to be with when you have three Stanley Cup's in the last 20 years, and tons of great history to go along with it.

The Sabres' bad attendance numbers bugged me, since I know the city is enthusiastic about the team and the new owner this year. The Sabres started in Europe, so there's one "home" game that only had 13,349 instead of 18,690. If you look at the recaps for all of the Sabres' home games, they are all listed at 18,690 (100%). They also have five home games in the number of home games column, but I think they only added the attendance numbers from four of those. If you take 18690*3 home games in Buffalo and add the 13349 from Europe, you get the 69,419 that ESPN has. Really the attendance has been 100% full and 88,109. Ah, that feels better. Neuroticism assuaged.

Is it true in an attempt to draw more fans, the Blue Jackets are having Paper Bag night so fans can sit in anonymity?

When your own team is sitting at a 79.9% capacity, you shouldn't talk.

Better than others...

Islanders, Sabres for some reason, Phoenix, Columbus and Dallas.

Not great company to be with when you have three Stanley Cup's in the last 20 years, and tons of great history to go along with it.

The Sabres' bad attendance numbers bugged me, since I know the city is enthusiastic about the team and the new owner this year. The Sabres started in Europe, so there's one "home" game that only had 13,349 instead of 18,690. If you look at the recaps for all of the Sabres' home games, they are all listed at 18,690 (100%). They also have five home games in the number of home games column, but I think they only added the attendance numbers from four of those. If you take 18690*3 home games in Buffalo and add the 13349 from Europe, you get the 69,419 that ESPN has. Really the attendance has been 100% full and 88,109. Ah, that feels better. Neuroticism assuaged.

My bad. I knew something was fishy, and the Europe game makes perfect sense now as to why their attendance is subpar, when it's not actually.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

That's silly if they are actually counting that game toward their attendance numbers.

They did that for all four teams. It makes all four teams look worse. It'll even itself out as the season goes on, but still annoying to have in there.

----

As far as what happened in DC tonight... Ugh.

Ducks first period is awesome. They come out hard right off the jump. The newly reconfigured 2nd line with Cogliano on Koivu/Selanne's wing was a refreshing sight with their speed and three goals.

Then the second happened, and Hiller let in that five-hole softie when he held the post. He's actually let in that same exact goal about three times now this season, and I just don't get it. The second Caps goal I really don't put on Hiller. The puck was dumped in, and Hiller expected the puck to bounce harder off the boards and for his defenseman to be back to help or try to touch up the icing. The defensemen never came, the puck didn't have the speed to come out of the restricted zone, and Hiller was caught in the scramble. Then Corey Perry scored on the power play with a tremendous effort and it;s all good.

Then Hiller let the Caps back into it. And this one was just plain old bad luck. Hiller even said it after the game. Some nights that puck deflects right over the net and off the boards, other nights it just drops in front of him or he actually grabs it. The only thing I would have like to see him do is try and back up and cover the goal line like goalies should do when they think the puck is in the air, but I also understand him just not moving. It could be in his equipment, he could back up into it, etc. I don't know what to do there, but it was an ugly play.

Then the Caps score with the extra man (Hiller didn't get a great push to get across the crease, but it was still a nice goal). And then in the OT, the Ducks defense collapsed 3 guys to the 2 Caps on the side boards, one Duck still up top with a Cap d-man, and Backstrom is all alone in front. Puck deflects to Backstrom, and Hiller is left out to dry.

It was a game that should have been won and needed to be won. It sounds silly, but I almost never want the Ducks to ever get a big lead. They get that 3-0 lead, it's all roses, and they take the foot off the gas a bit. The weird goals ensue, then it's ah crap, time to play, and they get the Perry goal. Then all is good, until the 3rd goal, and it was a scramble to the end from there. Playing a full 60 (or 65 in this case) minute game is a struggle for the Ducks. It has been a problem for a long time, and I really have no idea what they need to do about it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That's silly if they are actually counting that game toward their attendance numbers.

The Europe thing is kinda silly, but won't be a huge deal for long. Once ESPN gets up to date with their numbers, the Sabres will jump up a lot. The real issue is that they have 5 home games in one column, but the attendance numbers from just four.

More interesting than attendance for Sabres home games is Sabres road games. Western New York must have the biggest and farthest-reaching diaspora in America. Either that or it's the same 4,000 people who just follow the Buffalo Sabres around like Deadheads, trading bootlegs of Rick Jeanneret calls or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived