2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

I used to follow hockey a lot, and still do (in the playoffs at least), but I'm certainly not up on the nuances like most of you.

Could someone explain the "trap" (or the 1-3-1) and why nobody can devise an offense that can beat it?

Also, why is it bad to have a defense that an offense can't beat?

It makes the game boring (which isn't helping the NHL in its ongoing quest for greater acceptance from American sports fans) and it allows less talented teams to over-achieve by dragging games down.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to follow hockey a lot, and still do (in the playoffs at least), but I'm certainly not up on the nuances like most of you.

Could someone explain the "trap" (or the 1-3-1) and why nobody can devise an offense that can beat it?

They make a big plus sign. One man up front, three across the red line, one man back. Clogs up the neutral zone something fierce.

Hi! Maybe you missed it, but the league SHUT DOWN FOR A YEAR because everyone's defenses were so mind-numbingly stifling that nobody wanted to watch hockey games anymore and nobody could make any money. Hence, the death of the illegal two-line pass, which, now legal, greatly helps to bust the traditional NZT and left-wing lock.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Attendance reports from Tuesday night's action:

Columbus: 10,833

Winnipeg: 10,505

Dallas: 10,175

The important thing to note here is that Winnipeg's number wasn't for a game - it was for a Jets intrasquad skills competition. Also, Winnipeg's number was butts-in-seats, whereas the other two are likely "wouldn't it be nice if this many people really showed up."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They make a big plus sign. One man up front, three across the red line, one man back. Clogs up the neutral zone something fierce.

Hi! Maybe you missed it, but the league SHUT DOWN FOR A YEAR because everyone's defenses were so mind-numbingly stifling that nobody wanted to watch hockey games anymore and nobody could make any money. Hence, the death of the illegal two-line pass, which, now legal, greatly helps to bust the traditional NZT and left-wing lock.

Didn't the league miss a year because the CBA expired and the players and owners couldn't agree on a deal?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Didn't the league miss a year because the CBA expired and the players and owners couldn't agree on a deal?

Well, yes, but the economy of hockey collapsed because they were paying everyone way too much money to stand around with their thumbs up their asses. The trap almost killed hockey.

Anyway, I don't think the Panthers are going to stay this good. I certainly hope they don't, because Dale Tallon deserves no further success for what he did to the Blackhawks and the entire 2011 offseason.

Blackhawks fans, what's your favorite memory of the Rostislav Olesz era?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The team successfully killed his holding penalty against the Oilers the other night. I'll never forget those clears. I'll never forget that he was a healthy scratch in 12 of 18 games, either. How did this guy ever get a multi-million/multi-year contract? I'm convinced that most Florida Panthers contracts were signed by randomly fidgeting with pens and papers to look busy in case someone strolled by the office to make sure crusty-ass Longtime Hockey Guys actually worked for the Panthers and didn't just use it as an excuse to golf every day, and only by mere chance did these things happen. If you have a better explanation for Rostislav Olesz, let's hear it.

Yay for about $2 million in cap space and an open roster slot for Rockford callups. Ben Smith would be a good guy to promote if you're going to commit to him as a fourth-liner, otherwise just call up Brandon Segal to be a 13th forward who doesn't completely suck, just kinda sucks.

Changes still had to be made at the time.

And I will say that the Lightning still have had some pretty awful GA totals the past two years despite their 1-3-1 trap. Pretty much defeats the purpose, in some ways.

They need better goaltending. Roloson is good in spurts but not consistently. Noone good behind him leaves him worn out because hes old.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

That Blackhawks win was just something magical. I'm gonna bask in the afterglow of that through at least tomorrow afternoon.

I hate watching these Ducks. Why do I keep watching these Ducks? How do I keep going out of my way to watch these Ducks? What has to happen for me to stop watching these Ducks? What makes me want to watch them literally stand around on defense, not hold the puck on offense, show no pressure in any zone on the ice, rely on a hot goaltender, fail if the goalie isn't hot, then try to actually play hard for 20 minutes or less and attempt to tie it up or lose the lead they miraculously gained in that 20 minute or less span?

Guess I'll be watching them play LA again tomorrow night in Anaheim.

(Sidenote: While I'm not happy with the results so far this season, I love the way this set of Ducks/Kings games are scheduled. Tonight they played in LA, tomorrow they play in Anaheim. Great to have them back-to-back like that. They ended last season like that too, and it was fantastic. I'd like Ducks/Kings games to always be scheduled like this. Keep it up, NHL.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm sure this is going to be shocking to some of you, since there are a lot of Canadians on this board and a lot of Northerners...

but I'm going to my first NHL game tonight! Bolts against the Penguins- scored free tickets from a customer.

Now, this isn't my first hockey game ever...went to a couple small games (Augusta Lynx, Augusta RiverHawks, Columbia Inferno, etc) but honestly, hockey has never been my thing- it's like soccer on ice to me I guess. I do like the fights and I will say I have enjoyed it the MORE I have went...unlike soccer.

Should I expect a lot more at an NHL game? I like live competition in any capacity, so I'm sure I will have a good time...just excited, that's all.

Since the St. Pete Times Forum is large, would people still take a jacket in with them since it's hockey? I know we did often at other games, but we were always close (within 25 rows) of the ice.

The important thing to note here is that Winnipeg's number wasn't for a game - it was for a Jets intrasquad skills competition. Also, Winnipeg's number was butts-in-seats, whereas the other two are likely "wouldn't it be nice if this many people really showed up."

Speaking of which, looking at the Caps game tonight against Winnipeg, I don't think I see one empty seat tonight.

baltimoreravens.png

I think Dallas can be successful again, if they get that ownership situation fixed. When the Stars were making it deep in the playoffs they drew pretty well, and the NHL needs a team in Texas.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm sure this is going to be shocking to some of you, since there are a lot of Canadians on this board and a lot of Northerners...

but I'm going to my first NHL game tonight! Bolts against the Penguins- scored free tickets from a customer.

Now, this isn't my first hockey game ever...went to a couple small games (Augusta Lynx, Augusta RiverHawks, Columbia Inferno, etc) but honestly, hockey has never been my thing- it's like soccer on ice to me I guess. I do like the fights and I will say I have enjoyed it the MORE I have went...unlike soccer.

Should I expect a lot more at an NHL game? I like live competition in any capacity, so I'm sure I will have a good time...just excited, that's all.

Since the St. Pete Times Forum is large, would people still take a jacket in with them since it's hockey? I know we did often at other games, but we were always close (within 25 rows) of the ice.

I would bring a jacket. Even if you're in the nose bleeds, it can still get kind of chilly.

Speaking of which, looking at the Caps game tonight against Winnipeg, I don't think I see one empty seat tonight.

The best part was who attended: Pat :censored: Sajak!

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived