2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selfish penalties cost the Flames tonight. Easily the most inconsistent team in the NHL.

Fire Sutter, Feaster and Ken King.

King? Probably. Sutter? Maybe. Feaster? No. Feaster has inherited a mess that Darryl Sutter created and needs some time to turn it around.

Well, I may be jumping the ship on Feaster he's done okay for his time here. Not letting the youth die in Abbotsford is one good thing, but honestly this is Ken King's fault, he's the puppeteer in this Flames organization, maybe Sutter's system doesn't quite suit this group of Flames which is really evidence in his strong defensive approach, meaning for a lack of goals. Ken King and Ownership are the ones afraid to pull the trigger on a Kiprusoff, or Iginla trade mostly due to team politics and making a profit.

Get rid of King, and this organization will return to it's once prominent peak, at least I'm hopeful.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I hate the shootout. :(

As someone who doesn't closely follow hockey, agreed. The shootout is such a lame, minor-leaguish gimmick. It'd be like deciding a football game based on a punt, pass and kick contest.

I just meant because my team sucks at them. The Blue Jackets probably should've beaten New Jersey last night, and they probably should've beaten Boston last week.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Whatever one thinks of the shootout casual fans, by all accounts, seem to love it. I'd like to see the NHL prosper (or, more realistically, be not as bad off), so all in all? I don't hate it, I don't love it. As long as it's benefiting the league, though? I say keep it.

Also, I'm in favour of anything that does away with the tie. Now that the shootout ensures that one team will win the three point standings system is obsolete and, with any luck, will be dropped sooner or later. Continuous OT periods (as used in playoffs) would also work, but again, those don't seem to capture the casual sports fan's attention like the shootout does.

Continuous OT periods (as used in playoffs) would also work, but again, those don't seem to capture the casual sports fan's attention like the shootout does.

Continuous OT periods will never work for regular season play. Not only are teams not playing the exact same game/travel schedule, the NHL is conscious enough to know that their game is a physical one and continuous OT's will greatly hinder a team's performances in the next couple games. Their competitive levels will be shot, and that's not in the better interests of the ticket-paying fans.

I hate the shootout, but I think 3 shooters leaves it as too much of a coinflip. Increase it to 5 I think things would be less of a game of chance, but thats just me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Whatever one thinks of the shootout casual fans, by all accounts, seem to love it. I'd like to see the NHL prosper (or, more realistically, be not as bad off), so all in all? I don't hate it, I don't love it. As long as it's benefiting the league, though? I say keep it.

Also, I'm in favour of anything that does away with the tie. Now that the shootout ensures that one team will win the three point standings system is obsolete and, with any luck, will be dropped sooner or later. Continuous OT periods (as used in playoffs) would also work, but again, those don't seem to capture the casual sports fan's attention like the shootout does.

But I think having the shootout subject to three point decisions is a detriment as well. I feel having the home coach having to decide about taking a tie, or risking double or nothing by going to the shootout would be great for the league as well.

Not that tie's are an ideal situation, but I can only imagine one team playing a 3OT game on the front-end of a back-to-back. The back-end would basically be an automatic loss. Furthermore, the fact that the playoffs are the only continuous OT period further adds to the incredible drama of overtime playoff hockey.

spacer.png

I hate the shootout, but I think 3 shooters leaves it as too much of a coinflip. Increase it to 5 I think things would be less of a game of chance, but thats just me.

This has been one of my biggest gripes about the shootout, it should be five shooters.

Agreed. It would add, what, 90 seconds to the broadcast?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well the Ducks have SUCKED. Only two teams worse points wise, Jackets and Isles, but the Isles have two games in hand on both and the Ducks have already LOST to the Jackets. Instead of hashing out my frustrations on a keyboard in the umpteenth different place for the umpteenth time, I'll just post this (Change details where necessary):

mickeyhostage.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

But I think having the shootout subject to three point decisions is a detriment as well. I feel having the home coach having to decide about taking a tie, or risking double or nothing by going to the shootout would be great for the league as well.

Not that tie's are an ideal situation, but I can only imagine one team playing a 3OT game on the front-end of a back-to-back. The back-end would basically be an automatic loss. Furthermore, the fact that the playoffs are the only continuous OT period further adds to the incredible drama of overtime playoff hockey.

There's always the idea of making it 3 for a win in regulation but only 2 for winning in OT or shootout.

On second thought, nevermind. No self-respecting organization would do it that way.

LvZYtbZ.png

Overtime/shootout wins already count less because they represent a smaller gain in points on your opponent.

Only in determining tie-breakers at the end of the regular season.

And I find it odd that SO wins are counted separately at the end of the season, but not OT wins. Both are three-point games.

If you win in OT over an in-conference opponent then you've only gained 1 point on them. If you beat the same team in regulation then you've gained 2. That's how an OT/SO win counts for less.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The more I think about the Comeau claim. I think a trade is in the Flames future. They sent down Paul Byron, because he'd be the only one that wouldn't have to clear waivers and they said they would make a move to bring him back up as soon as they could. If it's for Kyle Turris I am all for it. Either way this move is pretty much a low risk/high reward move.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Continuous OT periods (as used in playoffs) would also work, but again, those don't seem to capture the casual sports fan's attention like the shootout does.

Continuous OT periods will never work for regular season play. Not only are teams not playing the exact same game/travel schedule, the NHL is conscious enough to know that their game is a physical one and continuous OT's will greatly hinder a team's performances in the next couple games. Their competitive levels will be shot, and that's not in the better interests of the ticket-paying fans.

Alright then. Shootout it is. Just as long as ties are done away with.

Archived