2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

That the realignment proposal has a 16/14 West/East split makes you wonder if this early proposal is budgeting for SOMEone having to move east in the spring.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4-Conference Realignment proposal that will be voted on Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Latest-NHL-radical-realignment-plan-breaks-up-So?urn=nhl-wp18932

Conference 1: Ana, LA, SJ, Van, Cal, Edm, Col, Pho

Conference 2: Dal, Min, Win, Stl, Chi, Det, Nsh, Clb

Conference 3: Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, TB, Fla

Conference 4: NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pitt, Was, Car

Names I guess are TBD. Top 4 teams in conference make the playoffs. First two rounds conference playoffs then reseed league wide for the Cup semifinal and final.

This makes no sense--why have uneven Conference--especially more teams where they are spread out--it would make more sense--if they were uneven to have two of Detroit, Chicago, Nashville or Columbus go to the East.

If they want to dump the 6 divisions they have now--they should go to three conferences of 10 teams.

Top 2 or 3 make the playoffs with the rest wildcards.

That's "IF", not this is what they should do.

But it makes more sense than what's posted above.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

That the realignment proposal has a 16/14 West/East split makes you wonder if this early proposal is budgeting for SOMEone having to move east in the spring.

When is the next round of municipal elections in Glendale again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Latest-NHL-radical-realignment-plan-breaks-up-So?urn=nhl-wp18932

Pacific 8: Ana, LA, SJ, Van, Cal, Edm, Col, Pho

It's A Trip!: Dal, Min, Win, Stl, Chi, Det, Nsh, Clb

Why is Florida here?: Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, TB, Fla

Hurricane Patrick: NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pitt, Was, Car

Proposed names in bold.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Florida is there because this is the only schedule that got Ed Snyder's approval (in a division with the Penguins and the three New York teams).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The good for my Leafies:

-Ottawa and Florida potentially in out conference (I don't care how well they're doing, anyone with Versteeg as a top-6 guy - let alone a first liner is in for a big surprise once he falls off the map).

The bad:

- Playing the Toronto Marlies a lot more often

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Ilya Kovalchuk on Winnipeg fans booing him: "They should support me, maybe I'm one of the reasons they moved here."

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Names I guess are TBD. Top 4 teams in conference make the playoffs. First two rounds conference playoffs then reseed league wide for the Cup semifinal and final.

Atlantic division plus Washington and Carolina. Can't say I don't like that, but overall, I am not a fan of this proposal.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Ilya Kovalchuk on Winnipeg fans booing him: "They should support me, maybe I'm one of the reasons they moved here."

As much as i want to hate him... he's fu*king awesome...

Atlantic division plus Washington and Carolina. Can't say I don't like that, but overall, I am not a fan of this proposal.

I'm actually super-supportive of this alignment. It's basically the old-school Patrick +1... and the Devils have a decent rivalry with Carolina...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I dont think the Patrick Division teams have a complaint with this. Me likey.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Florida is there because this is the only schedule that got Ed Snyder's approval (in a division with the Penguins and the three New York teams).

Florida needs more visits by Montreal. It's the only opponent that can regularly fill the arena. Nothing like having 10,000 retired Quebecers in one building.

1zqy8ok.gif

Yeah, I'm liking this Patrick Division idea. Just not liking the fact that the Isles will be in the most stacked division in the league :lol:

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Yeah, I'm liking this Patrick Division idea. Just not liking the fact that the Isles will be in the most stacked division in the league :lol:

LOL yeah it was different when the Isles were actually good.

This latest proposal isn't bad, but I'm not a fan of the unequal divisional playoffs (full disclosure, I didn't mind it when the Blues were going to be in a 7-team division, now I see the other side of the coin). I think there should be a crossover rule for divison playoffs (team in 5th in the 8 team division can take spot of team in 4th in other division in same conference).

And to counter the extra travel a division winner would have, a division winner hosting a crossover team (i.e. team from another division) would get 5 home games instead of 4 in the 1st round (1-2, 5-7).

However, I can also see the argument that if your not in the top 4 out of 8 teams you shouldn't be in the playoffs period.

Maybe a compromise could be developed to still have conference playoffs: top 3 in each division+two wild cards. The top 2 seeds playing the wild cards could get 5 home playoff games in round 1.

Oh, and this is obviously set up to allow Phoenix to move almost anywhere next season with minimal trouble (and by anywhere I mean Quebec City).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

So, essentially, very similar to what they did prior to the Eastern and Western Conference days, right?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Maybe a compromise could be developed to still have conference playoffs: top 3 in each division+two wild cards. The top 2 seeds playing the wild cards could get 5 home playoff games in round 1.

Oh, and this is obviously set up to allow Phoenix to move almost anywhere next season with minimal trouble (and by anywhere I mean Quebec City).

It is a good thing to keep their options open to allow Phoenix to move without having to go through realignment all over again. I really like the out of the box thinking of having four conferences (and no divisions within the conferences), as opposed to having four (or six) divisions subdiving two (or three) conferences.

Hmm... I feel like it might make more sense if you swapped TB and FLA for CHI and DET. But I suppose they wouldn't want 5 original six teams to be in the same conference. Any other thoughts on this?

I think FLA/TB are where they are because:

-The PA teams complained to stay together and PHI wants to be with the NYC teams.

-MON and TOR to a lesser extent are good draws in FLA/TB because of the snowbirds.

DET/CBJ hinted that they were cool with staying in their division/conference if they only had to play the West Coast teams 1x/season on the road. So everyone will play everyone else outside of their conference/division 1x and the rest are in division.

I think this has the votes to pass. All the MT/PT timezone teams are together, DAL gets in a division with teams in its timezone, MIN gets back with some friends, DET/CBJ get several more games in their own timezone, and PHX (or anyone else) can be moved with relative ease. WPG might not like it, but MIN is close by and they might be told if it doesn't pass you get another season in the Southeast division.

My only complaint is the playoff odds, but that's how it was before I followed hockey so I'm sure people like myself will get used to it.

Oh...I really like the idea that any teams could meet in the semifinals or Stanley Cup Final. Imagine having a BOS/MON or NYR/PHI final. It would be, wait for it, legendary.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing from the Ducks right now. I'll admit, Carlyle's grinding, grinding, grinding system was at times tiresome. Gabby's got the team actually playing offensively. They're more fun and less frustrating to watch. Getzlaf scored a goal (?!?).

Though I can't comment much more as I've been up since 5am four of the past five days and am knucking fackered.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived