2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Not sure how I feel about this yet. Seems like there's gonna be way too much Nashville Predators in my life now. More so!

The 16/14 split really does feel like a death sentence for Phoenix or Columbus. Though of course, leave it to the NHL to take up a stupid 16/14 split after baseball abandons it.

Don't know why you call it a 16/14 split, the Eastern/Western Conferences as we know them are gone. It's a 30-team league broken into 4 conferences.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think TB and FLA were for it (especially FLA)...they'll cash in on visiting fans who've moved to FLA (especially Montreal)

The current Atlantic was not going to be split up.

I am a bit surprised they didn't take the current Atlantic and add FLA and TB though.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

How long until we hear travel complaints from Tampa and Florida?

You won't. Snowbird money will soothe them nicely.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Heard something on TSN that Brian Burke and Toronto didn't like the proposal, but would support which ever direction it went. So we can assume Toronto was one of the four.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

How long until we hear travel complaints from Tampa and Florida?

You won't. Snowbird money will soothe them nicely.

You are very correct. From personal experience, the Canadian crowds tend to be spirited with the abundance of North of the border snowbirds in the area during winter months.

I'd gladly take Toronto/Montreal/Boston over NYC/Philadelphia/Pittsburgh any day.

Tip to the NHL: I wouldn't name the divisions after living people. Not that I think they would do something despicable, but it would be humiliating to have to change a division name because the namesake robbed a bank or something.

Exhibit A: the arena formerly known as John Eleuthère du Pont Pavilion

du Pont was convicted of muder and Villanova's arena became just The Pavilion

Exhibit B: Paige Sports Arena, Mizzou

building originally named after donor Bill Laurie's daughter...she was caught paying people to write papers for her at USC...Mizzou hoops now play at Mizzou Arena

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Tip to the NHL: I wouldn't name the divisions after living people. Not that I think they would do something despicable, but it would be humiliating to have to change a division name because the namesake robbed a bank or something.

Exhibit A: the arena formerly known as John Eleuthère du Pont Pavilion

du Pont was convicted of muder and Villanova's arena became just The Pavilion

Exhibit B: Paige Sports Arena, Mizzou

building originally named after donor Bill Laurie's daughter...she was caught paying people to write papers for her at USC...Mizzou hoops now play at Mizzou Arena

Or covered up for years a child molester (*cough*B1G*cough*)

Are the San Jose Sharks obligated to play an 82-game schedule? They have four, five games in hand on most of the league and pretty much have all year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Hooterville division, myself.

But you repeat yourself.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I saw rumors about the "idiot round" being brought into the new NHL playoffs. Please tell me that got killed.

Is the idiot round like the new wild card playoff in MLB?

I have to say, for us reel-line-mint fans, this has been a fun year!

And as a Blues fan, I like that we keep the Wings in our division. I think they would have been going East before Columbus and right after Quebec City if they had stayed with 6 divisions.

The AHL for awhile in the 4 division days had the 4th and 5th place teams in the division play a shortened series while the rest of the league sat around and waited. This round was universally nicknamed "the idiot round" for obvious reasons.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe or we riot.

No, we are done honoring owners who spent their careers crushing player rights and resisting expansion.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I saw rumors about the "idiot round" being brought into the new NHL playoffs. Please tell me that got killed.

Is the idiot round like the new wild card playoff in MLB?

I have to say, for us reel-line-mint fans, this has been a fun year!

And as a Blues fan, I like that we keep the Wings in our division. I think they would have been going East before Columbus and right after Quebec City if they had stayed with 6 divisions.

The AHL for awhile in the 4 division days had the 4th and 5th place teams in the division play a shortened series while the rest of the league sat around and waited. This round was universally nicknamed "the idiot round" for obvious reasons.

Nothing tops the Central Hockey League, which for one year had 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs. All 6 played in a series, and the highest seeded LOSER got a mulligan and advanced to the conference semifinals anyways.

RIP Demitra #38

Archived