2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found out about the new QMJHL team in Sherbrooke, Que. The name? The Sherbrooke Phoenix. Am In the only one who finds that absolutely hilarious?

I lol'd.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

The breakdown of the league, as best I can tell:

the Bruins

a chasm

contenders: Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings, Blues (ultimately a paper tiger but numerically speaking for now they're right in it), Canucks, Blackhawks, Penguins, Sharks

a whole bunch of crap: everyone not mentioned

a small bunch of supercrap: Islanders, Hurricanes, Ducks, Blue Jackets

I would absolutely love it if we didn't have a total crapshoot in the first round of the Stanley Cup and went right to permutations of Boston/NY/Philly/Pittsburgh and Chicago/Detroit/Vancouver/SJ. Just have a nice NBA-style separation of the hockey wheat from the hockey chaff and get right down to some seriously good play. Like, I want the warm fuzzy feelings of the Oilers gunning their way into 8th place or something, but then just get out of the way, y'know?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NHL Playoffs are the ultimate sports crapshoot. Boston

may very well dominate for the rest of the season, but it's very possible that they lose to Devils in the first round or something.

Really? I'd have said MLB Playoffs (see 1991-2005 Atlanta Braves). A hot goalie can win you a series, but how often can a hot goalie take you all the way?

The '06 Oilers are the only team I can think of in the New NHL with a hot goalie dragging a mediocre team close to all the way. '10 Flyers were a hot team dragging mediocre goalies. For the most part, all finalists since the lockout were legitimate contenders heading into the playoffs. Still not entirely sure what the '06 Hurricanes were, if they ever were at all. I sometimes forget that ever happened.

I like a little randomness now and then, but this is a year where there are serious contenders well above the fray, and I want to see them slug it out among themselves. No system teams.

Flames pretty much rode Kipper to a game within the Cup in 2004. Iggy was tremendous, Gelinas was outstanding but everyone chipped in, though without Kipper they don't even make the playoffs. Turek and McLennan HA!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The NHL Playoffs are the ultimate sports crapshoot. Boston may very well dominate for the rest of the season, but it's very possible that they lose to Devils in the first round or something.

Really? I'd have said MLB Playoffs (see 1991-2005 Atlanta Braves). A hot goalie can win you a series, but how often can a hot goalie take you all the way?

A hot goalie doesn't have to take a team all the way for the tournament to qualify as a crapshoot. All a hot goalie needs to do is get his ok-not-great team past a few contenders. Sure a truly great team may still win the Cup but somewhere another great team got knocked out of the first round by a group of overachieving scrubs.

I'd like to see this change, because it does no one any favours to have a mediocre team go farther then they should, but I doubt we're past that yet.

I wonder whom the Blue Jackets can sell off to beef up their farm system.

Rick Nash? Nope, he's signed through 2020 with a no-trade at 7.8 a year

Jeff Carter? Nope, he's signed through 2022 with a no-trade at 5.3 a year

R.J. Umberger? Nope, he's signed through 2017 at 4.6. No no-trade, though!

Fedor Tyutin? Nope, he's signed through 2018 at 4.5

James Wisniewski? I don't even want him anyway, but 2017 at 5.5

Ugh. This team is going to get Nail Yakupov and ruin him like they've ruined all their high draft picks. What is the point of this team.

Ugh. This team is going to get Nail Yakupov and ruin him like they've ruined all their high draft picks. What is the point of this team.

The Hockey Gods hate McCarthy.

The Sports gods hate me. I like some historically awful teams and I was 8 the last time one of my big 3 won a playoff game.

At this point I don't even care about this season anymore. If they continue to employ Scott Arniel as the coach then I have no understanding of what their goal is as a hockey team and I'm having a hard time supporting them. I watched about 15 minutes of the first period last night and although it was 0-0 at the time I had to turn it off. They looked like a bunch of freelancers playing out the string, which would be fine if it were the end of the season, but there's 3 more months of this :censored:. Reds baseball can't get here soon enough for me.

My biggest problem with this team is that they have no identity. Under Hitchcock the games were low scoring and boring, but at least the team knew what they wanted to be and you could point to them and say 'Yep, we're the boring, big, grinding team'. I have no clue what this team is. I don't really think they're a team at all and more and more it looks like Howson has no idea what he's doing as a GM.

I'm just hoping they actually do land Nail Yakupov and by then Craig Patrick has fully taken over and turned them into an actual professional hockey organization. Also, go out and get a GD goaltender FFS.

Cam Ward was credited with a goal last night.

Sweet.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In the "Good God" category, courtesy of Newsday

The 2010-11 Islanders had played 33 games and were 9-18-6. This season's Isles have played 33 games and are 11-16-6, a difference of only four points. The goal differential was minus-31 last season (76 for, 107 against); the goal differential is minus-31 right now (78 for, 109 against). The Isles are 18 points behind the Rangers, exactly the same margin as last season.

That doesn't take into account last night

Oh, and Mike Milbury's coming back to both CBC and NBC this weekend

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived