Yakball Concepts

raysox

Atlanta: Make the Peach the field logo. The colors aren't bad but it's hard to get a great look at them with the black background.

Boston: Integrate the green/white split stripe on the field, maybe for a secondary have it be, "BOS" with the empty space of the 'O' being the shamrock. *shrug* suggestion.

Carolina: Not really liking this. The idea of the plane is cool but the 3 colors within the circle don't create motion to sell that as a propeller. There's no movement to it, may want to exaggerate their shapes to sell it as being in motion. The interlocking CF in the sharp font looks really awkward as well. I'd maybe try putting a small F into a larger C at the center of it. That way the C would represent the nose of the airplane ahead of the propeller blades.

Chicago: Nailed it. I love the use of the chicago flag stars in the main crest. Well done.

Dallas: Pretty cool. I wasn't blown away or anything but it's serviceable. The barbed wire on the field is a nice touch. It doesn't really say "outlaw" to me so much as it does "dirt and fences." I'd have maybe tried something with a bandana or a train, etc. Something that is more in line with the legends of outlaws without using a gun.

Denver: Nice idea but some stuff bugs me. I feel like the triangle beneath the 5280 should be pointing up since this is the altitude we're talking about as well as giving off a mountain-y vibe. Plus since the yakball is yellow/white (right?) I would've integrated that into this since the team colors match.

New York: Did you use the same font as the "5280" team for the NYC wordmark? Just kinda bugs me [/unhelpful commentary] Make the "NYC" on the wordmark orange to contrast with the empire above it, otherwise I dig.

Houston: Need to rotate the logo so that it's on it's wide horizontally instead of vertically. That way the arching wordmark wouldn't be as awkwardly placed. Main logo is nice (looks creepily like my employer's logo just a tiny bit), but I don't like the black center. Good opportunity to try maybe a yellow or something bright and flashy there to compliment the orange and contrast from the navy. It's supposed to be an explosion. I like the logo on the field. B)

XI Counties: ...no complaints, really. It's really simple and clean. Me likey.

Minnesota: Plaid needs to come down a notch, make it really really subtle. Reduce the opacity on that bad boy to about 20% or so. Minnesota could come up just slightly on the wordmark to give it a bit more space above the Loggers script.

Philadelphia: Awesome. I love the colors and the simplicity. Very elegant and appropriately clever.

Tampa Bay: excellent opportunity here to make a capital T into a trident and was missed, although I do like the primary as it is. Secondary's fine but the T is scraping awfully close to the B, looks clunky and uneven. May just want to put that in a normal roundel as well instead of the tilted oval. I'd also suggest adding some sort of complimentary color in there, a light blue or coral. Give it some flavor.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tampa bay is awesome, but philly needs another colour in there to make the logo more balanced. for LA I suggest "Taggers" as the name.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Here are the 10 logos together.

10.png

I like all those but the Dallas one. It looks out of place. And I agree with what was posted earlier, it has more of a rancher feel than an Outlaw feel.

Also, the Philadelphia one is SICK!!!!!! Love the Neon.

Dallasbrink.png

Really nice work on this series so far, MT. The nice thing about what you're doing here is that you're doing everything from the ground up-- which affords you a lot of creative flexibility (ie, how many people can say, "eh, it doesn't really look like a Yakball logo"). I like where you're heading with this, though. Color schemes have all been nicely done, and the logos are pretty solid, as well. Do you have any plans for uniforms? Those would definitely be fun to see-- like soccer kits with a lot more flair.

Ah, thanks everyone. A few things for the project

• I plan on doing uniforms when I run out of ideas for teams
  • I plan on redoing some logos also, ones that have negative feedback. I'm thinking Carolina for sure, and tweaks to most.

Also Shawn, The 5280 logo was actually hand drawn, and by coincidence the nyc logo was similar font. I want to redo the font for Denver, also.

I just thought of a funny name you could use for Washington. They could be DC Comics!

I also thought of a new version of Yakball that you could do. It could be called Street Yakball, and you would play it on pavement. The rules would be the same, except that you would use a tennis ball, and all passes and shots must be bounced. What do you think?

I just thought of a funny name you could use for Washington. They could be DC Comics!

I also thought of a new version of Yakball that you could do. It could be called Street Yakball, and you would play it on pavement. The rules would be the same, except that you would use a tennis ball, and all passes and shots must be bounced. What do you think?

Actually, you end up on the ground more than you'd think. If you watch our

, the play is pretty intense, ahaha. But if you want to try it, by all means. Volleyballs work really good though!

As for the Caballeros, I kind of like that. Still open to names, but that one is nice.

I wouldn't completely redesign Carolina's logo. (As an aside, I'm currently sitting in Charlotte Douglas International Airport as I'm typing this.) I like how it's got a unique design (with the plane) and I like the colors in the propellers, as random as they may be. Maybe make the CF work with the circular shape more? Design it like the letters in some football crests are designed a la Real Madrid.

I'm thinking about doing a name similar to Yakball Club, but I don't want to do Yakball Club. Sporting? Or something?

L.A.Y.C (Los Angeles Yakball Club), the only club with initials as its main name!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I think something that reflects the large Hispanic population would be cool, so Sporting Los Angeles or Real Los Angeles would be cool

Oh is this where you put your teams title successes?

Well let's see, I support Northampton Town FC...

We've spent just one year in the top flight of English football in our entire history and that was in the 60's...

And that's it. We've been around for 115 years and that's all we have to show for it...

Oh, and I like the Cubs. I think I hate myself...

Ah, thanks everyone. A few things for the project

• I plan on doing uniforms when I run out of ideas for teams
  • I plan on redoing some logos also, ones that have negative feedback. I'm thinking Carolina for sure, and tweaks to most.

Also Shawn, The 5280 logo was actually hand drawn, and by coincidence the nyc logo was similar font. I want to redo the font for Denver, also.

I love the Carolina logo.

What team names come to mind wit this logo?

AnWcDS1CQAE9C8T.png

If you did SPORTING across the top and LA real big in the blue, i think that would work nicely.

Dallasbrink.png

For the Carolina logo, I'd suggest getting rid of the CF and go for something more stylized that suggests a propeller in motion while just happening to be C-shaped. If you're able to do so and keep the F, all the better.

And the LA logo and colors evoke a lot of driving imagery to me. There's the black/white ratio being similar to a street's coloring while the orange and pink kind of remind me of taillights. It doesn't hurt that the film Drive (set in LA) used a garish pink for its title sequence and advertising. The angles even suggest tire treads. Cars and driving play a huge part in Southern California's identity, so something along the lines of Speed, Jam, Rush, Highwaymen, Patrol, Chips, Drifters, Speed Demons, Express, Zoom, Ignition, Drive, Drivers, etc. might work.

Archived