Hornets, state announce agreement to keep team in N.O. thru 2024

B-Rich

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the apoplexy over Bobcats. Bobcats seem like they'd hang around the Carolinas. Better than that youth-soccer "Flight" everyone seems to like, which doesn't even make sense because the Outer Banks aren't close to Charlotte at all really. Owners have had personal input on their team names since forever. It's never bothered me. I'd be more upset about the fact that there were seriously like 3,000 people at the game against the Pistons the other night.

I think people just look at it as a microcosm of everything that's been wrong with this franchise from day one. But yeah their problems go far deeper then the name Bobcats ever could.

They are terrible on the court, they always had an ownership that seems to be very uncaring as to what fan opinion is (the team name getting put to a fan vote and then throwing the results out and hearing reports that Michael Jordan was one of the hardline owners that nearly caused the season to be lost), a taxpayer built arena that was very unpopular in many sections of Charlotte that was put to a public vote, lost by a landslide and then got built anyway, a great alternative to the NBA in Tobacco Road basketball and alot of lingering negative feelings towards the NBA in general that have persisted because of the whole George Shinn fiasco. The NBA sided with him over the feelings of the fans and it probably even makes some even more angry over how many times the NBA has gone to bat for the Hornets in New Orleans. So you account for all of that pretty easy to see why this team has never really been accepted and why they are only drawing 3,000 fans to some games.

So, Hornets fans & the city of New Orleans go from wondering if the team would still be in New Orleans past the summer to having the Saints owner buy the team & are now preparing to welcome in the biggest event on the NBA calendar. How about that?

So, Hornets fans & the city of New Orleans go from wondering if the team would still be in New Orleans past the summer to pto having the Saints owner buy the team & are now preparing to welcome in the biggest event on the NBA calendar. How about that?

Life is good... if the Brees signing would get done already, it'd be about perfect....

It is what it is.

Didn't they just host it recently?

Yeah, but that's the NBA's thing now. They're treating the ASG like the NFL treats the Super Bowl. Los Angeles, Orlando, Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Phoenix and the like are the rotation. Cold weather cities would have to campaign hard for the ASG (or probably just be New York).

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

You also have to remember that this city can host the :censored: out of things.

Who doesn't want to add a little booze, beads, boobs, and Bourbon St. to their sports weekend?

That B, B, B, and B S.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Didn't they just host it recently?

Yeah, but that's the NBA's thing now. They're treating the ASG like the NFL treats the Super Bowl. Los Angeles, Orlando, Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Phoenix and the like are the rotation. Cold weather cities would have to campaign hard for the ASG (or probably just be New York).

Or want the thing to begin with.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NBA is becoming a bigger and bigger joke by the day.

Boston Celtics last ASG hosted 1964

Portland Trail Blazers last ASG hosted 19Never

Toronto Raptors 19Never

Want to get more fans involved spread the All Star Game around, want to revive basketball in Canada All Star Game at the ACC, same for the Pacific Northwest at the Rose Garden. I mean it was a disgrace when the Maloofs took their ASG and put it in Vegas total slap in the face of Sac-Town, I guess it was just practice for the full ramming they are doing to Sacramento now.

Oh and dont tell me the All Star Game is an event for stars. :censored: THE CELEBS, they can just as much enjoy the All-Star Game in Portland, Toront or even Sacramento, Memphis or OKC. If they are beneath going to those towns, good more tickets for real fans and not the :censored:ing phonies who think their :censored: dont stink and just go to be seen on TNT and interviewed by some weird guy in a suit that is so ugly a clown would not wear it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Portland and Oklahoma City don't have the hospitality sector needed for an All-Star Game. This is like the whole "how come Green Bay can't get a Super Bowl" thing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I just cant buy that it may be too soon for OKC, but both Portland and OKC have hosted NCAA Tournament games, I cant imagine that being any different. Its these friggen phonies these celebreties. Its not going to kill JLO to spend a night at a Motel 6 .

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Portland and Oklahoma City don't have the hospitality sector needed for an All-Star Game. This is like the whole "how come Green Bay can't get a Super Bowl" thing.

Super Bowl - Up here

NBA ASG - Down here (Gap shortened by 125% to decrease overall size of post)

The NBA All-Star Game is nowhere near the level of the Super Bowl. It's an exhibition game. The two are uncomparable. People can find stuff to do in those cities. It's pretty clear the NBA is just trying to cater to the rich and famous. One of the reasons this league has been going downhill for so long.

Super Bowl - Up here

The NBA All-Star Game is nowhere near the level of the Super Bowl. It's an exhibition game. The two are uncomparable. People can find stuff to do in those cities. It's pretty clear the NBA is just trying to cater to the rich and famous. One of the reasons this league has been going downhill for so long.

Exactly, if Portland and OKC can host first and second round NCAA Tournament games, with eight schools sending groups of fans and alumni it can host a ASG.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Super Bowl - Up here

Exactly, if Portland and OKC can host first and second round NCAA Tournament games, with eight schools sending groups of fans and alumni it can host a ASG.

Ummm....Tank?

1. Unless some local team with a large following is playing in those regionals, the arena is usually fairly empty. Most fans watch their teams via television and don't make the trip. (Primarily due to lack of advance notice, true, but the attendance is still fairly low.) There is a vast array of logistical differences in hosting the NBA All Star Game and being a host site for the first NCAA weekend. Tulsa, Albuquerque, Omaha, Providence, Spokane, Greensboro, Boise, Dayton, Birmingham, and Little Rock have all hosted 1st Weekend Games over the last 5 years. Nobody in a cracked out nightmare would suggest those towns could or should host an NBA All Star Game.

2. I'm going to put this in large font since this is a point you and others fail to grasp.

YOU NEED TO WANT THE ALL STAR GAME IN ORDER TO GET IT. THOSE CITIES HAVEN'T SHOWN ANY SIGNS OF WANTING TO HOST ONE.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't even have a problem with trying to market the NBAASG as glitzy and glamorous and all that jazz. I think that's what makes it special among its peers, to have it be a star-studded weekend with some incidental basketball. It's worked really well for the NBA in recent years, except for that whole Las Vegas boo-boo, where perhaps they did bite off a little more than they could chew with that one.

Toronto is a world-class city and worthy of an All-Star Weekend if MLSE doesn't mind sending the Maple Leafs on the road for a Saturday night in February. Other than that, it's not a big deal that, like, Oklahoma City is being spurned here. Paris will get an NBAASG before Oklahoma City does. Not even kidding. And I think that'd be terrific!

Had the NBA had to have left New Orleans, I'd still support giving them lots of one-shot deals like this one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived