Do Any Baseball Teams Use Nameplates Anymore?

rmackman

Nameplates used to be pretty common, but it seems most baseball teams are doing away with them. I think most sports teams outside of the NFL are doing away with them. The only MLB team I can think of that still uses nameplates are the Atlanta Braves. I always thought jerseys looked better WITH nameplates, but here you can see some teams who have changed:

THEN

big-papi.jpg

NOW

adrian-gonzalez-op14-18254.jpg

THEN

97ws_1145071c.jpg

NOW...SORT OF

astros11.jpg

THEN

sportsRANGERS_t640.jpg

NOW

josh-hamilton-op1j-25497.jpg

THEN

man+muscles.jpg

NOW

joe-mauer-op14-27559.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Hmmm, I didn't notice that. I think nameplates do look a little better, but being a Yankees fan, I've gotten so used to seeing the numbers by themselves that any name on the back of a baseball jersey looks a bit weird. I mean, [and maybe it's just the examples posted] the names just look so big in comparison to the number on baseball jerseys that it seems off [as compared to like basketball and football uniforms where the numbers seem to be much bigger in comparison.

...and we know the White Sox never used nameplates =)

nolanrobin.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Small/bad photo but Giants too

Before:

medium_bondsbrace.jpg

And now:

ecbadc122e07ef8d4684dafe5f39ed37-getty-142531982.jpg

The Giants didn't have nameplates in 2010...

san-francisco-giants-world-series.jpg

yeah they dropped them awhile ago but I had no idea what to search to find old ones so I just searched Bonds and used the photos from last nights games.

Archived