The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

Why is this a "bad" playoffs?

Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, and San Jose getting bounced in the first round really took a lot of top-end talent out of the playoffs. Most of the postseason was dominated by defensive-end shells, uncalled obstruction, and low/weak scoring chances. Even the Kings' amazing run was tempered by coughing up the last two games, going from "as dominant as the legendary '88 Oilers" to "still all in all a pretty good run when you consider." This does not feel like a league that belongs to its best players. It feels like a crapshoot. It's highly underwhelming to me.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This does not feel like a league that belongs to its best players. It feels like a crapshoot. It's highly underwhelming to me.

It's taken you this long to notice?

6uXNWAo.png

No, but he asked, so I answered. Hockey has a lot of intrinsic randomness to it; we should be trying to take as much of that out as we can. Instead, we're going the other way. Stopping short of making the season an eight-month coronation, people should want to see the best be the best.

Seems like every other year, there's some flukey 5 thru 8 seed team who creeps into the Stanley Cup final and comes within a game or two of winning it all before reality sets in and they get overwhelmed by the Cup favorite. Of course it feels like a crapshoot, becuase it IS!

6uXNWAo.png

This is what I'm going to have in my head watching the cup being raised.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Habs getting as far as they did with their passive game did bring things down, yes. That conference final kinda blew!

And the ending of the whole thing was like the derpiest moment in hockey. No argument here.

Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, and San Jose getting bounced in the first round really took a lot of top-end talent out of the playoffs. Most of the postseason was dominated by defensive-end shells, uncalled obstruction, and low/weak scoring chances. Even the Kings' amazing run was tempered by coughing up the last two games, going from "as dominant as the legendary '88 Oilers" to "still all in all a pretty good run when you consider." This does not feel like a league that belongs to its best players. It feels like a crapshoot. It's highly underwhelming to me.

Then why have a 30 team league and a 16 team playoff?

I could see somebody claiming "fluke" or "the best teams didn't win" if it was a best of 1. Vancouver had 7 opportunities to prove they were better than the Kings, but only needed 5 to prove they were not same goes with Detroit, San Jose and Chicago (6 games).

People complain when the same teams win every year or when the same teams don't win every year. Go figure. In terms of a crap shoot this will only be the 2nd time in the 18 years of this format that a team seeded lower than 4th won the Cup ('95 Devils). 89% of the time over the last 18 years a team seeded 4 or higher won it all.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Β 

This is what I'm going to have in my head watching the cup being raised.

From Stravinsky to Mussorgsky. What a thread! B)

Then why have a 30 team league and a 16 team playoff?

I could see somebody claiming "fluke" or "the best teams didn't win" if it was a best of 1. Vancouver had 7 opportunities to prove they were better than the Kings, but only needed 5 to prove they were not same goes with Detroit, San Jose and Chicago (6 games).

The beauty of the Stanley Cup playoffs is that once you're in, you have a chance to win, no matter how small some people think it is. I think the wheat is separated from the chaff during the regular season (bottom 47% don't make it). The teams that do make it all fight long and hard to get the invite, and so in a way, all deserve that shot (even if you hate them, as I hated Chicago in 2010.)

Darryl you deserve this! Brought the Cup to a city that has never had their chance to see it's grace.

Congrats Kings fans. This is a special moment.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

I saw a heading at the top of the forum with LA Kings championship gear on fansedge.

I saw that earlier today, but they're just selling Western Conference Champs and Stanley Cup Final gear -- nothing that actually said "Stanley Cup Champions". but that'll probably chance in about 5 minutes. :hockeysmiley:

6uXNWAo.png

Soak it in, LA, enjoy these final few minutes and adsorb every second, you'll remember it forever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Hell of a Kings team this year. Everyone will make a big deal out of them being an 8 seed, but this was not your average 8 seed.

EDIT: maybe they were more like a 6 or 7

Hey admiral, the 2010 playoffs sucked.

Don't kid yourself, 2010 was great. Montreal came back against Washington, then upset Pittsburgh. Philly came back from 3-0. The San Jose - Detroit series was good. Chicago had a great run.

Much better than this year.

Archived