Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

1. Bobby Orr

2. Raymond Borque

3. Paul Coffey

4. Tim Horton

5. Nickla Lidstrom

I've seen Lidstrom play head to head against Borque and side by side with Coffee, and neither were in his class.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Orr's offensive numbers are incredible, from watching him play (my dad is a huge fan and has a load of videos from his playing days) I always felt that Orr's defense was better than his offense. His anticipation and ability to read the play in the defensive zone was incredible. No disrespect to Lidstrom, but I just feel that Orr was better.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Someone way before our time, played in I guess would be called the "Dead Puck Era"

But Eddie Shore, from reading, from hearing about him. He definitely needs to be in consideration of any Top 5 list. If not Top 5, most certainly Top 10.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Its still early, but a return to Nashville seems a bit more likely for Suter.

1. Bobby Orr

2. Raymond Borque

3. Paul Coffey

4. Tim Horton

5. Nickla Lidstrom

I've seen Lidstrom play head to head against Borque and side by side with Coffee, and neither were in his class.

To be fair (and more accurate though) you didn't have the opportunity to see Bourque or Coffey in their prime. You saw both of them towards the ends of their careers vs. Lidstrom in his prime. For example you were 11 when Bourque and Coffey retired, its not like you saw the best of their work. From 2001-2012 you only saw Lidstrom and Coffey and Bourque were just a decade old memory of two guys at the end of their career. I would definitely agree with you that with out a doubt he was the best defenseman over the last 15 years.

Hell I was 11 when Guy LaFleur retired from Quebec and the whole time I remembered thinking "whats so great about this guy"? I only knew the tail end and missed out on the years that made him a Hall of Famer.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Someone way before our time, played in I guess would be called the "Dead Puck Era"

But Eddie Shore, from reading, from hearing about him. He definitely needs to be in consideration of any Top 5 list. If not Top 5, most certainly Top 10.

Same goes for Doug Harvey and his 7 Norris Trophies.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Yes certainly Doug Harvey as well.

Also this. Tim Thomas considering taking a year off. Per Bob McKenzie and Peter Chiarelli. Link.

If Thomas does that then he is done. I can't imagine that a 40 year old goalie that has been out of the game for a year will be that effective.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

and Tim Thomas is a f-cking diva.

Goalies in the NHL are becoming more and more like the WRs in the NFL. The headcases. Too bad, I like Thomas. American goalie and all.

I liked Thomas at one point too -- Until he won a ring and went bat sh-t crazy about visiting the White House.

American or not, good riddance! (I hope.)

6uXNWAo.png

It would be nice if I had a multi-million dollar contract and could just *decide* to take a year off and still get paid.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397390

It says the Bruins would have a cap hit, but I don't think he would still get paid for the season if he sat out. The GM said he would have to officially suspend Thomas, so I doubt he gets the money.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Its still early, but a return to Nashville seems a bit more likely for Suter.

1. Bobby Orr

2. Raymond Borque

3. Paul Coffey

4. Tim Horton

5. Nickla Lidstrom

To be fair (and more accurate though) you didn't have the opportunity to see Bourque or Coffey in their prime. You saw both of them towards the ends of their careers vs. Lidstrom in his prime. For example you were 11 when Bourque and Coffey retired, its not like you saw the best of their work. From 2001-2012 you only saw Lidstrom and Coffey and Bourque were just a decade old memory of two guys at the end of their career. I would definitely agree with you that with out a doubt he was the best defenseman over the last 15 years.

Hell I was 11 when Guy LaFleur retired from Quebec and the whole time I remembered thinking "whats so great about this guy"? I only knew the tail end and missed out on the years that made him a Hall of Famer.

You're probably right about some of that stuff, but it doesn't really change my mind about anything though. :P

Though I remember being 8 years old and being upset they traded Paul Coffee for some guy named Shanahan.

Bobby Orr was better, but if I had to pick between Lids and Orr, I take Lidstrom. I rather have a guy who makes an impact for you, for 20 years, than for 8 years. Obviously if Orr was able to play for 20 years, I'd take him...

If Thomas is suspended for failure to report, wouldn't his cap hit be off the books until he did report? The 07-08 Ducks stayed under the salary cap by having Niedermayer and Selanne pretend to retire until their cap hits were prorated enough to fit. Or maybe the rule has been amended precisely because of that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If Thomas is suspended for failure to report, wouldn't his cap hit be off the books until he did report? The 07-08 Ducks stayed under the salary cap by having Niedermayer and Selanne pretend to retire until their cap hits were prorated enough to fit. Or maybe the rule has been amended precisely because of that.

I believe Selanne and Niedermayer were free agents. I know at least Selanne was.

Oh, and they didn't have them "pretend" to retire to fit under the cap. While they were deciding on their futures, we signed Bertuzzi and Schneider. If we needed them to pretend to retire to stay under the cap, we wouldn't have signed any UFAs.

(Oh, and I say "we", big effin deal)

I believe Selanne and Niedermayer were free agents. I know at least Selanne was.

Oh, and they didn't have them "pretend" to retire to fit under the cap. While they were deciding on their futures, we signed Bertuzzi and Schneider. If we needed them to pretend to retire to stay under the cap, we wouldn't have signed any UFAs.

And when Niedermayer came back, it created salary cap hell for us. Andy MacDonald ended up being the sacrificial lamb for Nieds to come back (in exchange for :censored: ing Doug Weight. That was great. <_< )\

---

Oh and 1. Orr, 2. Lidstrom.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And when Niedermayer came back, it created salary cap hell for us. Andy McDonald ended up being the sacrificial lamb for Nieds to come back (in exchange for :censored: ing Doug Weight. That was great. <_< )\

Burke is just stupid. Bertuzzi and Schneider weren't even that good, he should've left cap room for Nieds and Selanne. Most overrated Gm in the league.

Anyways, Thomas will probably still count against the cap, but they probably won't have to pay him.

Archived