Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Of course the league will look the other way. That's the whole point of collusion! The union and the courts, however, may take a different approach.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a team like Nashville that basically crippled themselves by matching the Weber offer - if the players "win" and don't give up salary or get even more of the pot, would it be possible that they just couldn't continue? Or have to rescind the deal somehow?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So a team like Nashville that basically crippled themselves by matching the Weber offer - if the players "win" and don't give up salary or get even more of the pot, would it be possible that they just couldn't continue? Or have to rescind the deal somehow?

The players won't win. Labor loses lockouts. All we can hope for is that they're not utterly decimated.

As for the Predators, they already get about $9 million from the city of Nashville to "manage the arena" (which, like in Phoenix, is more than the team pays in rent), so I guess they could just demand a higher arena management fee. I wonder if Gary Bettman rents hotel rooms when he travels, or if he negotiates a "room management fee."

gary_bettman_jg1204.jpg

"It's not entirely impossible that my purchase of this room will not necessarily be viable without the agreement of a room management fee, which it can be hoped may not prevent the actuation of a lot of the moving parts required to complete this transaction."

A_Hotel_Receptionist-304x202.jpg

"..."

bettman940-8col.jpg

"..."

"..."

bettman940-8col.jpg

"..."

"I'm afraid I can't do this."

gary-bettman11.jpg

"Then I will have to have you know that the National Hockey League will not be conducting any future business with Super 8."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well I'll be damned. The Wings did get fined for Devellano's comments.

Also this is 100% speculation... I wonder if we'll see Lidstrom suit up in the Swedish Elite League?

100 times more then Weber got for banging Zetterberg's head!

I guess charger was right - the league does look the other way when the Red Wings are involved!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Why do I get the feeling of 'Here we go again' with this?

The NHL is the last league that can afford another lockout. All the goodwill they have spent getting it back after the last lockout is, IMHO, all but gone.

I also have to wonder if NBC, the only TV partner the league has, is going to put up with this malarkey and just jump ship.

Why do I get the feeling of 'Here we go again' with this?

The NHL is the last league that can afford another lockout. All the goodwill they have spent getting it back after the last lockout is, IMHO, all but gone.

I also have to wonder if NBC, the only TV partner the league has, is going to put up with this malarkey and just jump ship.

They will put up with it because Comcast has nothing else to put on NBC Sports.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The GDNHL can be the GDNHL because hockey fans are IMO the most blindly-loyal fans in all of North American sports. The fans will be back because they just will (at least in the core markets - but in the non-core markets, they probably weren't doing that well anyway so the GDNHL probably doesn't really care.)

That loyalty is a blessing and a curse - in this instance a curse, because they know that in Toronto (and the rest of Canada), Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis (right?), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, NY/NJ, etc., they'll still sell out as soon as the first puck is dropped, regardless of who's in net.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They aint even meeting Bettman is getting his wish to kill hockey once and for all.

I'm certain that is his wish.

They aint even meeting Bettman is getting his wish to kill hockey once and for all.

Schizophrenia.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The GDNHL can be the GDNHL because hockey fans are IMO the most blindly-loyal fans in all of North American sports. The fans will be back because they just will (at least in the core markets - but in the non-core markets, they probably weren't doing that well anyway so the GDNHL probably doesn't really care.)

That loyalty is a blessing and a curse - in this instance a curse, because they know that in Toronto (and the rest of Canada), Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis (right?), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, NY/NJ, etc., they'll still sell out as soon as the first puck is dropped, regardless of who's in net.

It's no different than any other league. Look at all the leagues and how fans whether it be a strike or lockout, just blindly come back. I just have no clue how the owners could sit there and think that they have a good thing going with Bettman when he's lead them to 3 or 4 work stoppages. There is something called "public perception" that they haven't figured out.

Funny you mention them; the Panthers being forced to spend $55 million they could never dream of earning is a big part of why we're in this mess.

Being a fan of small market teams (Panthers, Jags, Magic, and Marlins) I am a HUGE fan of revenue sharing. Working as one makes you a stronger beast.

The last lockout was pretty devastating to the St. Louis hockey fan base because it came at the exact same time the owner was getting out and decimating the team. Hockey came back one year later, and the Blues were the worst team in the league with very few recognizable names. It took some effort from new ownership to get the fans to buy back in (but within 2 or so years, they had).

This time around, the lockout is coming at a very promising stage of Blues hockey. While that makes it perhaps more frustrating, it also bodes better for the fanbase staying intact.

So whether St. Louis belongs on that list or not, I'm not sure, but they're close.

In any case, your point is well taken. The problem with the NHL is that there's enough markets that can't be in that category that won't come back so quickly. The NHL probably won't fold due to this lockout. It probably won't have to contract any teams either. But every day this one goes on, the possibility of that increases.

Archived