Chicago White Sox Retro Gaffe -->FAIL<--

Patchez

When the White Sox first announced that they would be wearing retro 1972 era uniforms on Sunday home games this season, their marketing department released a photo showing manager Robin Ventura in an incorrect cap. The cap was one sold currently with a bastardized logo from that era.

I emailed the White Sox Marketing VP letting him know the gaffe. I additionally mentioned that "what would the Yankees do?" should they sport retro uniforms.

His response was that the choice for the logo design was in the hands of MLB at that time.

Were the recent retro Yankee cap logos worn in Fenway correct for the intended era?

Pictured here is the 1972 White Sox cap above (worn by Wilbur Wood) and the New Era cap (Robin Ventura) worn on Sundays by the White Sox.

How the hell can this get by the White Sox, MLB and New Era????

72WhiteSox.jpg

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

I additionally mentioned that "what would the Yankees do?" should they sport retro uniforms.

Bad example - the Yankees' cap logo on their recent 1912 throwbacks is wrong.

Here's the original:

12Wolverton_Harry_001.jpg

The one they wore at Fenway Park is their current print logo, designed sometime in the 1950s or early 1960s:

IFWT-Yankees.jpg

New Era sucks.

I additionally mentioned that "what would the Yankees do?" should they sport retro uniforms.

The Yankees retro logo is no way as far off as the White Sox retro logo!

The Sox logo looks like some far sighted pre-schooler created it!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

19392705.jpg

The Sox example has been brought up a number of times. Fact is, NewEra just doesn't really care about accuracy or authenticity, as long as the sell hats. The quality of their authentic current MLB hats is questionable, there's no doubt they're going to screw up throwbacks.

19392705.jpg

More like, YUNO accurately replicate the letter "S"?

Tf9TG.jpg

I emailed the White Sox Marketing VP letting him know the gaffe. I additionally mentioned that "what would the Yankees do?" should they sport retro uniforms.

WWTYD to support your argument probably doesn't get you very far in any Major League city except NY...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

19392705.jpg

I LOL'ed at that. Off topic but my friend made one of those memes about our teacher saying "y u no teach us geography"

On topic IMO if you're going to do a throwback uniform, it should be accurate to what was actually worn.

So how far off is okay then? Sorry, wrong is wrong in this case, especially when you use it to make your argument.

I also agree that suggesting the Yankees or any other team have superior standards will likely not get you far. These throwbacks always seems to have mistakes, some subtle, some blatant and some even on purpose (materials, modernizations and branding). I think for the most part, the White Sox do a good job with these sorts of things, and others said as much in the MLB megathread recently.

That they used a logo that's been sold on New Era's caps for that year probably since the new Comiskey opened should come as no surprise. It might not be good enough to you or me, but I don't think they deserve to be chastised in the name of the "infallible" Yankees. Especially when they just did the same thing within a week.

Heck, the Sox could have just slapped their current logo on a red cap and called it a day, too.

To my untrained eye, it looks like the White Sox may have used different logos for their cap and their batting helmets, and that New Era has been incorrectly using the helmet logo on the cap.

dick-allen-chisox.jpg

0612_large.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The screw up is not on New Era, it's on MLB properties. I own an American Needle version of this cap which is probably 6 or 7 years old. The logo is the same as the one the Sox are wearing this year. Like with other cases, MLB messed up in their "official" recreation of the logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Forget the logo, I couldn't get past the inaccurate button!

Exactly! Messing up a logo that noone but Creamers would recognize is perhaps forgivable, but the wrong color squatchee? COME ON.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Gotta love that SI cover of Dick Allen smoking a cig.

Regarding the cap gaffe, this is nothing new, look at the atrocities the Padres trot out year to year when they do their turn back the clock tributes.

Indeed. I was 11 when that SI arrived in the mailbox. I was astonished by the fact that a big league ballplayer smoked cigarettes. For some reason, I thought it was cool. Youth.

And let's not skip over Wilbur Wood. If memory serves, he went 24-20 in 1972. Only a rubber-armed knuckleballer could have pitched enough innings to win 20 and lose 20 in the same season.

EDIT: My mistake. Wood went 24-17 in 1972. 1973 was the year he went 24-20. He damn near pulled off another 20-20 season in 1974 but he couldn't get that 20th loss so he had to settle for a 20-19 record.

BB52Big.jpg

When I wrote to the Sox VP and mentioned the Yankees, I did not know that the Yankees would have a retro cap this season. I pulled that out of my ass, or "yanked" it!

The Yankees ended up doing what the Sox should have, just smack on the current SOX design.

It is true, the White Sox simply passed on the bastardized design that American Needle had been peddling.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Why did the White Sox throw back to these uniforms? I think they were one of the poorest sets they ever had and the ChiSox had some terrible uniforms.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Gotta love that SI cover of Dick Allen smoking a cig.

Regarding the cap gaffe, this is nothing new, look at the atrocities the Padres trot out year to year when they do their turn back the clock tributes.

Indeed. I was 11 when that SI arrived in the mailbox. I was astonished by the fact that a big league ballplayer smoked cigarettes. For some reason, I thought it was cool. Youth.

And let's not skip over Wilbur Wood. If memory serves, he went 24-20 in 1972. Only a rubber-armed knuckleballer could have pitched enough innings to win 20 and lose 20 in the same season.

EDIT: My mistake. Wood went 24-17 in 1972. 1973 was the year he went 24-20. He damn near pulled off another 20-20 season in 1974 but he couldn't get that 20th loss so he had to settle for a 20-19 record.

Wilbur Wood was awesome, I totally remember those 20-20 seasons. Nobody would be able to do that today, knuckleballer or not.

Archived