Logos that DON'T reflect the team name

oukingpen

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a native San Diegan, and lifelong Padre fan, I couldn't stand when they went for waves instead of the Padre in their logo. It's one thing to be generic (like they are now) but it's a whole other type of poor design to create a design like this (with waves) that creates a completely separate mascot that has nothing to do with the actual mascot.

san_diego_padres_logo-9593.gif

It's kind of a second-cousin logo. In the same vein you have UT Chattanooga who also went with something associated with the city instead of the mascot itself (an indian tribe). Well, this was until they ditched it (entirely?) in favor of a plain-old "C" logo a few years ago.

et5c0wkxfb7iwfjewxhzh8yee.gif

The Senators and the Steelers logos both reflect the team name.

Technically, the Senators' logo is a Roman centurion. People bitch about it, but honestly it's not something to lose sleep over.

I wanted them to depict an old man with grey hair asleep at his desk in the Canadian Senate :flagcanada:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Speaking of the Browns, thought I'd throw this in. Anyone who knows a story or meaning behind it to prove me wrong, feel free to explain, I'm interested to know if this was supposed to represent anything.

browns.jpg

That's a Brownie, a folklore creature, like fairies or gnomes or elves, etc...

So it does actually fit the team name in a way.

Only because someone named him "Brownie", I mean, dress him in green, and you have Greenie...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Speaking of the Browns, thought I'd throw this in. Anyone who knows a story or meaning behind it to prove me wrong, feel free to explain, I'm interested to know if this was supposed to represent anything.

browns.jpg

Only because someone named him "Brownie", I mean, dress him in green, and you have Greenie...

No, the term Brownie has been around for a long time . The browns just played on the term with the logo.

browns.jpg

Actually, no. A Brownie is a thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(folklore)

That other "Browns" team also played off the elf/hobgoblin imagery:

1952.jpg

As a native San Diegan, and lifelong Padre fan, I couldn't stand when they went for waves instead of the Padre in their logo. It's one thing to be generic (like they are now) but it's a whole other type of poor design to create a design like this (with waves) that creates a completely separate mascot that has nothing to do with the actual mascot.

Unpopular opinion, but I loved that logo.

What about the Canadiens. They dont represent Canada at all

If you take for granted that they're intended to represent the Francophone of Montreal, hence the team name ending in "ens" rather than "ians," and they also have an H in their logo to reflect the Francophone's nickname for the team, I'd say it does a decent job of representing the name.

Actually the H stands for hockey, as in "Club de Hockey Canadien," the team's official name.

The "H" does not stand for hockey. It refers to the Habitants, French settlers who settled in Quebec.

Brutal from a fellow Canadiens fan. The H most certainly stands for hockey.

From the official site: See under the 1916/1917 jersey....

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

If we're including legacy logos in our consideration, no list would be complete without this entry from the WTF files, which once represented MLS's LA Galaxy:

gf6fastjkb815nn7xmo1hqzlg.gif

MLS used to have some whimsical secondaries. I was always partial to this one from the New Jersey/Occassionally New York MetroStars:

b6rdkyruo1dv3jpnzzshrojk0.gif

Me too

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

1981.jpg

As far as I know THIS doesn't represent Thunder. Just weird type and a bunch of shapes with a basketball hastily thrown in!

you just blink a lot, I guess.

this is exactly what thunder looks like

Its impossible to represent thunder since its a sound, not an object. Dumb name for a franchise.

"Thunder" is often used to describe the sound of a herd of buffalo moving across the prairie. In that context, it is a fitting name for a team in the region. Had they modeled the logo and team identity around that concept, it would be a bit more cohesive.

And had they done so, simple farked logos like this one could have been avoided.

okcblunder.jpg

Me too

Visually it was good except for the horrible "P" and "a" letterforms. But, as I wrote in a letter published in HOW Magazine at the time, "if waves for padres is considered to be a great logo, then I've got an amazing car rendering to use for a new Detroit Lions logo."

While this is still officially the primary (I think), they have phased this guy out and are using the redbird on Memphis script most of the time now.

b6sk01rl8pegf52cokxh3837e.gif

4l9ktcu0pe2e4wsa4ywbg9stl.gif

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The CFL

Riders-1.jpgEskimos-1.jpgBombers-1.jpg

I would include the Argos logo, but the picture I'm trying to post winds up super big.

The Argos' logo represents the name. It's a shield, much like the one used by ancient Greeks. Greeks like Jason's Argonaughts.

Archived