Logos that DON'T reflect the team name

oukingpen

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the original poster, I'd say the Pacers logo does reflect speed with the lines in the P and the and the angle of the letters. Its not a literal interpretation of a pace car, but is an homage to Indianapolis' racing tradition and not just a generic P logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The football Giants do (or did) have a logo that shows a giant. Here are the best-known ones, as shown by the main site:

917.gif

kbdgenkrhg6bysj4v9ak.gif

929.gif

The first two of these logos show Yankee Stadium; the third one shows Giants Stadium. I don't know if they have done a new version depicting the new stadium. The main site says that the third logo is current; but the Giants' page at Wikipedia says that it was used through 2009 -- which makes sense, as that was the final year of Giants Stadium. Maybe they'll make one that incorporates this depiction of the new stadium:

Giants_2010.gif

Anyway, another team which has a logo that doesn't reflect the team name is the Buffalo Bills, whose logo represents Buffalo, and makes no allusion to any nickname.

By the way: I don't think it makes sense to include letter logos (such as those of the Boston Bruins or the Green Bay Packers) in this list. A stylised letter logo is appropriate for a team by any name. However, it is interesting to think of teams whose logos use a graphic, but a graphic which makes no allusion to the team name.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Thank god neither does use a giant though. I'm sure that'd look beyond cheesy.

I don't know about that... their Japanese counterparts in Yomiuri did a great job with their giant logo:

1ujhfaq6e3o05hcwbhf9.gif

The Giants play in Tokyo. "Yomiuri" is the name of the newspaper group that sponsors them.

But it is a great logo.

Thank god neither does use a giant though. I'm sure that'd look beyond cheesy.

I don't know about that... their Japanese counterparts in Yomiuri did a great job with their giant logo:

1ujhfaq6e3o05hcwbhf9.gif

The Giants play in Tokyo. "Yomiuri" is the name of the newspaper group that sponsors them.

But it is a great logo.

Unfortunately from what I've seen watching and following NPB the Giants more often get saddled with this crap logo.

TokyoYomiuriGiants2.GIF

That weird YG mascot thing seems to get a lot more play than either the primary YG logo or the one you posted above.

Cleveland-Browns-logo-psd56743.png

This is the best example thus far. I did not envision a bunch of logos with city initials being used...I thought more like the Pistons' horse. Golden State's bridge. Etc.

I'm thinking the Pistons' horse stood for horsepower, which is caused by Pistons firing in the engine (something along those lines) -- or that's my guess anyway.

6uXNWAo.png

Two more, both Rangers logos do not have anything to do with, "Rangers".

144.gif

b04.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

A few more...

2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gifq9gvs07u72gc9xr3395u6jh68.gifpeii986yf4l42v3aa3hy0ovlf.giftxtu234jlffk0q5l62uhnwm3q.gif

6xk2lpc36146pbg2kydf13e50.gifdcy03myfhffbki5d7il3.gif970.gifzf680281zkz13am96i4cf2yjb.gifqhhir6fj8zp30f33s7sfb4yw0.gif

The Senators and the Steelers logos both reflect the team name.

The Sentators' logo does not.

The connection is there, but it's pretty flimsy.

You do realize the Romans had Senators 2500 years ago right? Long before the aimless stuffed shirts on Capitol hill.

A few more...

2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gif

You do realize the Romans had Senators 2500 years ago right? Long before the aimless stuffed shirts on Capitol hill.

You do realize they looked like this, right?

augustus-obama.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

A few more...

2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gifq9gvs07u72gc9xr3395u6jh68.gifpeii986yf4l42v3aa3hy0ovlf.giftxtu234jlffk0q5l62uhnwm3q.gif

6xk2lpc36146pbg2kydf13e50.gifdcy03myfhffbki5d7il3.gif970.gifzf680281zkz13am96i4cf2yjb.gifqhhir6fj8zp30f33s7sfb4yw0.gif

Wow. "Stuffed shirts on Capitol Hill" eh? You do realize that a team called the Senators playing in the capital of Canada is named after the Canadian Senate right? You know, the legislative body that most definitely does NOT meet on Capital Hill in the District of Columbia? Of course old guys in "stuffed shirts on Parliament Hill" would have been a decent reply, but hey. The money's in the details.

As for the Roman theme, yeah the connection between the logo and name is flimsy. Rome had a Senate, yes. Going back to nash's point though, the Ottawa Senators' logo doesn't feature a Roman Senator. It features a Roman Centurion. Which is different.

It would be like a team based in Washington D.C. calling themselves the Senators after the US Senate and then adopting US military imagery for their logo. A US soldier is not a US Senator. Just like a Roman Centurion isn't a Roman Senator.

True, some Roman Senators served as military commanders at various points in their careers, but the posts of "military officer" and "Senator of the Republic/Empire" were two different things. As much as you want to imply a connection between the two occupations, they were distinct in function, pay, and standing. A soldier or military officer in ancient Rome does not equate to a Senator in ancient Rome.

That's why the connection isn't that great.

As for the Roman theme, yeah the connection between the logo and name is flimsy. Rome had a Senate, yes. Going back to nash's point though, the Ottawa Senators' logo doesn't feature a Roman Senator. It features a Roman Centurion. Which is different.

It would be like a team based in Washington D.C. calling themselves the Senators after the US Senate and then adopting US military imagery for their logo. A US soldier is not a US Senator. Just like a Roman Centurion isn't a Roman Senator.

True, some Roman Senators served as military commanders at various points in their careers, but the posts of "military officer" and "Senator of the Republic/Empire" were two different things. As much as you want to imply a connection between the two occupations, they were distinct in function, pay, and standing. A soldier or military officer in ancient Rome does not equate to a Senator in ancient Rome.

That's why the connection isn't that great.

They should just revert back to the =O= logo.

I think the Sens logo would've looked more like a senator if they did something like Olympiacos:

Olympiakos-Piraeus@2.-other-logo.png

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

What about the Canadiens. They dont represent Canada at all

If you take for granted that they're intended to represent the Francophone of Montreal, hence the team name ending in "ens" rather than "ians," and they also have an H in their logo to reflect the Francophone's nickname for the team, I'd say it does a decent job of representing the name.

Archived