Steve Sabol dies at age 69

MadmanLA

I think this deserve its own thread...

http://www.am570radio.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=452705&article=10426785

FOX Sports - President and founder of NFL Films Steve Sabol died of brain cancer at the age of 69 on Tuesday.

Sabol was the creative force behind NFL Films' unique brand of storytelling and cinematography for five decades.

"Steve Sabol was the creative genius behind the remarkable work of NFL Films," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Steve's passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve's legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend."

Sabol and his father, Ed were honored in 2003 with the Lifetime Achievement Emmy from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

Sabol also received the Pete Rozelle Award, which is presented annually to someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the NFL and to professional football.

Very sad day for the NFL and NFL Films...he and his father's work help make me a fan of the NFL, and it's too bad that he didn't get inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, alongside Ed.

May he rest in peace :cry:

Noooooooo man! Damn it. I would've guessed Ed (who just turned 96 years old exactly a week ago), but not Steve. I'm watched so many NFL Films with him as host. The NFL culture just lost an important piece of itself today.

R.I.P. Steve, and thanks for the memories. :cry:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Noooooooo man! Damn it. I would've guessed Ed (who just turned 96 years old exactly a week ago), but not Steve. I'm watched so many NFL Films with him as host. The NFL culture just lost an important piece of itself today.

R.I.P. Steve, and thanks for the memories. :cry:

That Brain Cancer does not care how old you are sadly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

RIP Steve...a huge loss for his family, the NFL, and us fans.

One thing I greatly admired was their (Steve and his dad) willingness to listen to other people. Steve told the story in one of their specials about how Yoshio Kishi, a Japanese film editor who had never seen a football game until he started at NFL Films, suggested the techniques now familiar to all of us - slow-mo, tight closeups, etc, focusing on the "apex of the action" - instead of using the wide-angle TV-style shots that had been used for highlight shots. They were willing to put their egos aside and see the guy had something they could work with.

Cue John Facenda: "He was a giant of the sports film genre, a pioneer who showed us a sport we had seen many times, yet had never really seen at all..."

Steve, you will be missed.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

RIP Steve...a huge loss for his family, the NFL, and us fans.

One thing I greatly admired was their (Steve and his dad) willingness to listen to other people. Steve told the story in one of their specials about how Yoshio Kishi, a Japanese film editor who had never seen a football game until he started at NFL Films, suggested the techniques now familiar to all of us - slow-mo, tight closeups, etc, focusing on the "apex of the action" - instead of using the wide-angle TV-style shots that had been used for highlight shots. They were willing to put their egos aside and see the guy had something they could work with.

Cue John Facenda: "He was a giant of the sports film genre, a pioneer who showed us a sport we had seen many times, yet had never really seen at all..."

Steve, you will be missed.

Funny how I couldn't read what was in quotes WITHOUT doing it in Facenda's voice, with the pauses at just the right times. I can't imagine the NFL without NFL Films.

NFL Films was like 45% of my childhood and Steve Sabol was always the host of those shows that were almost daily played on ESPN or ESPN 2. I was real-life sad to hear he passed away today.

Like others, I used to do the Super Bowl highlight marathons around Super Bowl time every year (until they moved them to NFL Network). I feel like I've seen every Super Bowl despite only being 25. They documented the beginning of a cultural institution. How many other things can say that? We don't have narrated tapes of the 1903 World Series, but we'll have always have the Super Bowl I highlight show. That's cool to think about.

PvO6ZWJ.png

NFL Film Presents has always been must see TV, its one thing that disappoints me about NFL Network they dont show the old NFL Presents enough during the off-season.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived