NFL Throwbacks gripe

Blue Falcon

While I love the NFL teams using throwbacks 1-2 times a year, would it hurt the league to at least suggest that BOTH teams should wear their throwbacks for the SAME game? So far this year, we've seen the Falcons, Bears, and Redskins all wear throwbacks...and all were against the Carolina Panthers, wearing their current unis.

Why can't the NFL have made the Redskins wear their throwbacks against the Steelers last week, or have the Packers and Bears both wear them in the same game? It ain't that hard...

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Another thing I don't like is when a team wears a throwback but the field and everything has the current logo. I like how the Buccaneers, when wearing their throwback, put the old helmet logo in the end-zones, mid-field, side-walls, etc. imgp1011.jpg

The Bills are wearing their white throwbacks at home this year. Crossing my fingers the Rams bring their colored throwback set with them. Would look awesome despite the sets ever being worn in the same season before (off the top of my head).

Another thing I don't like is when a team wears a throwback but the field and everything has the current logo. I like how the Buccaneers, when wearing their throwback, put the old helmet logo in the end-zones, mid-field, side-walls, etc. imgp1011.jpg

Yeah props to the Bucs for going all out with their throwback day... that’s a major and expensive undertaking to produce all those banners and repaint the field... but by the looks of the crowd they are selling enough creamsicle merchandise to pay for it.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Don't like when teams do that either...can't remember, did the Jets redo the field when they wear the New York Titans throwbacks? Don't think they did since it is field turf, but I dont know why I remember a blue and gold endzone during one of the throwback games.

70389454.png

i made the same comment on twitter last week. and yea, the Panthers get "thrown back on" a lot, which seems the strangest team to do it with, though the Falcons i understand being a divisional rival. they got it right with the AFL uniforms

i hate the Buccs throwbacks, but they do it right on gameday. they go all out for the throwback games and make it feel about as 1970s as it gets. it makes the whole experience a special and memorable one.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't want to see throwback-against-throwback unless the uniforms are from the same era. I'd rather see 1930s v. Today than 1930s v. 1960s.

Off-topic, but by the same token, I also hate to see people get player autographs on helmets and jerseys from a different era than the one they played in. For example, a Pete Rose autograph on the Reds current road cap. You see this stuff on ebay all the time.

So far this year, we've seen the Falcons, Bears, and Redskins all wear throwbacks...and all were against the Carolina Panthers, wearing their current unis.

You do realize that Carolina cannot wear throwbacks? since their uniforms have been essentially the same since '95. Only difference would be the logo. Unless you are suggesting they do a fauxback uniform...

While I love the NFL teams using throwbacks 1-2 times a year, would it hurt the league to at least suggest that BOTH teams should wear their throwbacks for the SAME game? So far this year, we've seen the Falcons, Bears, and Redskins all wear throwbacks...and all were against the Carolina Panthers, wearing their current unis.

Why can't the NFL have made the Redskins wear their throwbacks against the Steelers last week, or have the Packers and Bears both wear them in the same game? It ain't that hard...

Steelers wore their throwback as well.

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

I don't want to see throwback-against-throwback unless the uniforms are from the same era. I'd rather see 1930s v. Today than 1930s v. 1960s.

Off-topic, but by the same token, I also hate to see people get player autographs on helmets and jerseys from a different era than the one they played in. For example, a Pete Rose autograph on the Reds current road cap. You see this stuff on ebay all the time.

Couldn't agree more on that.

I know it's easier to have current caps around for signings, but c'mon. Try harder.

So far this year, we've seen the Falcons, Bears, and Redskins all wear throwbacks...and all were against the Carolina Panthers, wearing their current unis.

You do realize that Carolina cannot wear throwbacks? since their uniforms have been essentially the same since '95. Only difference would be the logo. Unless you are suggesting they do a fauxback uniform...

thats his point. he wants games to be throwbacks vs throwbacks, but the Panthers seems the most random team to wear a throwback against for anyone.

i see what you're saying, but i'd be fine with that. some teams are limited in their throwback options. the AFL stuff 2 years ago was really great, but i'd rather see 2 teams in any throwbacks and actually participate in the event (Thanksgiving weekend?) than everyone wearing throwbacks against the Panthers

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Bills are wearing their white throwbacks at home this year. Crossing my fingers the Rams bring their colored throwback set with them. Would look awesome despite the sets ever being worn in the same season before (off the top of my head).

Yes and No Jeff.

As I'm sure you know, the Bills all-white throwback is based on the uniform worn during the 1965 AFL Championship season. The Rams didn't wear royal and yellow back then, so it wouldn't look all that much like a blast from the past. That's what made AFL-50 in 2009 so special, both teams wore uniform sets from that same 1960s era.

The Bills first ever inter-conference home-game after the merger was at home against the LA Rams ... would love to see the Rams play the Bills in their 1965-1971 throwbacks, only wearing their rarely-seen blue jersey-white pants combo since we'll be in all-white, even tho' that's not possible according to NFL rules. But, that sure would look cool.!!

Sep 1970 ... Los Angeles Rams at Buffalo (War Memorial Stadium)

2165315.jpg

2154943.jpg

As great looking as the 'Skins throwbacks looked this weekend, I think it would have looked better if the end zones were painted to match the uni and if they wore them against another opponent in throwbacks.

I thought the EXACT same thing.

Those Redskins throwback uniforms should have been worn against a different NFC team that existed back in 1937.

Their end-zone with their current logo and word-mark was really weak. The Chargers painted their end-zone powder blue and used their old AFL word-mark, and painted a Chargers AFL-50 logo at midfield for every home game in which they wore their throwbacks for AFL-50 in 2009

...but i'd rather see 2 teams in any throwbacks and actually participate in the event (Thanksgiving weekend?) than everyone wearing throwbacks against the Panthers

Yes please.

Perfect for Thanksgiving I would love to see the Cowboys and Redskins in old school and also the Patriots 80a look vs the Jets in their 80s uni!!

Archived